x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My mad mind continues to think of strange ideas (MP 780 "Dino" mods - thinking of!)

Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 10:38 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Now that I fixed and repainted my mobile pro (and getting very experienced with it! It really is a great students companion. Ever since I fixed it, I seem to be using Dino more often than Jordon).
My donor has left me with a motherboard that just has a faulty/broken LCD switch, so if anyone has a spare MP 780 they are happy to give up or still for a resonable price that has a dodgey MB, screen (not cable) or keyboard, then I am happy to buy/take it! (I should get a 900C, but one for £128? Nahh, thats too low for one! )

Anyway, my mad thought on "Dino" is the motherboard, I was thinking, "why not A) replace the headphone jack to a standard size. (this is so I don't have to make a dongle, just to make a pair of headphones fit, and then loose it! - I wonder how well the MP will move my Hi-Fi? Jordon does a very good job of it, soo much so, Jordon actully makes the speaker vibrate!)
B) What is CN3 next to the SERIAL port? (USB? Parallel? Another Serial port?)
C) What can this unit take in terms of Extra ram? I'd like to modify a ram card and add anothe 32mb of ram, just to customise the computer a bit!
D) Any other uniqueness to think of? Oh flash ROM rather than static ROM would be good, so I can try out CE5 for the heck of it! (that aint gonna happen!).
E) One thing I have always wanted to make, is a docking station, but I have no information about the pins at the bottom.

Of interest, I did some research on the hardware for the Video chip, audio chip, RS232 (I thought it was audio!) chip and the PC card controller. I sometimes wish they published these facts. (I could actully do with a schematic of the unit.)
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 2:18 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

The only thing I can see as something you could actually do is changing the sound to miniplug. Everything else...like changing the ram, would probably require special equipment and money.

Good luck.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-11-07 7:18 PM

The only thing I can see as something you could actually do is changing the sound to miniplug. Everything else...like changing the ram, would probably require special equipment and money.

Good luck.

No problem with either, I got a few bob to blow (like upto £100!) and I have access to a Surface mount Rework Station, so RAM chip additions are no sweat. Oh and I have my very own technician, called my father who does repairs for audio tour guides!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 2:43 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 5:35 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Wessex_nut - 2005-11-07 4:38 PM

(I should get a 900C, but one for £128? Nahh, thats too low for one! )

hehe. this is possible

but not at these times....... a 900 has just gone for 885$ on ebay and a 900C is already at $805! and there's still ONE FULL day left! have people gone mad???
they could have it for 225$ (OK, you need to be very lucky... 400$ is their normal ebay price) but they want to pay 885$?! what's going on?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.172 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 12