x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Real mad idea

1 2
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 8:09 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2005-11-10 10:36 PM

AndiF - 2005-11-10 6:56 AM

fragenmensch - 2005-11-08 8:23 PM

AFAIK yes; the brother of the expert works at HP but only M$ stores the ROM images so he has no access to them at all.
Hint for anyone who wants to help me: Copy the files out from your desktop PC-on the handheld GWES or another process locks the files for reading for all processes except ASync.

Marco

Seems to be there is no expert at all
1) MS has nothing to do with it. The ROM had been built by HP (with Platform Builder from MS).
2) ROM files are copy protected. You will have no access at all except running an application.

It would be possible to overwrite ROM with newer files in RAM.
You would have to substitute a lot of files. Since your handheld has only 16 MB RAM there will be not much space left ...
a better way would be just buying a new handheld.

Andreas

Actually you're both wrong.
Platform Releases do not come from the commercial Platform Builder like Windows CE Core, they come from a a modified platform distribution manager program (essentially a PB rewrite). All the image configuration for Platform Releases are locked down, the OEM's can only customise the driver and peripheral application layer to meet their hardware specification.

You CANNOT drag drop a new OS into RAM. It doesn't work like that. You NEED to have the boot block for the relevant version of CE, you NEED to have the system loader for the applicable version of CE. These CANNOT be drag dropped.
You also need drivers, and these are never off the shelf.

All ROM protected files on CE have a header flag - similar to the Indexing service / Read-only / system / hidden header flag in any file on a Windows PC. If this flag is present then when the H/PC runs a system call hooking or something similar over the event it fails the request.
Remembering that they are compressed, write a way to block the call to the file system driver, and you should be able to lift the ROM files directly on the device.

I remind you all that such comments are only speculative, and any actual attempt to lift ROM files is highly illegal and in breach of the H/PC ELUA. :whistles:

@all who want the hack: Open "Mobile Device" in your "My Computer" on the Desktop, navigate to "/Windows" and copy the files.
@C:Amie:Yeah, I forgot the bootblock...And who cares about EULAs???;-)
Oh before I forgot: How do the Linuxes install their bootloader?

Marco

PS: Is the ROM module of the 620lx a modded IDE or what?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 10:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

fragenmensch - 2005-11-12 2:09 PM

@all who want the hack: Open "Mobile Device" in your "My Computer" on the Desktop, navigate to "/Windows" and copy the files.

could you copy all files this way?
as a test, try to copy COREDLL.DLL for me please!
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 10:26 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Not ATM; I tried to install ADOCE which requires Windows CE Servises _2.0_ and installed it OVER ActiveSync...I will install my system new in 2 months when I get my new PC, then I'll do this.

Marco
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 4:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

nah, why dont you reinstall activesync?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 5:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

fragenmensch - 2005-11-08 8:23 PM

And who cares about EULAs???;-)

As quoted from C:Amie:

C:Amie - 2004-09-19 9:33 AM

Warez: We will not tolerate under any circumstances users posting requests for, information on or locations of pirated software. This includes people suggesting they other members attempt to locate it as a solution]

What you are suggesting is pirating versions of an OS. Analogy: Someone asking for Windows folder from Windows 98.

P.S.: Why don't you just get a nice H/PC pro device. I think they are only about at 60 USD now..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 6:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi is right about everything

and yes, you can get a hpc pro for 60$... if you're lucky. but it is 70-80$ at most! check ebay.de, if you want to save on shipping...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 8:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hey I am right on something...

For some reason, some of the Sub-Notebooks are cheaper than the HVGA devices... Maybe a more powerful processor packed in the HVGA devices...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 9:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

but they're not hpc's!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 9:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I know... I guess you are right, as always .
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-15 9:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Marco,

Besides, why do you want both Linux and CE 2.11 on your device. CE 2.0 is good enough for me. Heck, even CE 1.0 is good for me too...

Joseph
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-15 12:02 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I want it because of additional things- like speech synthesis etc.

Marco
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 12