x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Real mad idea

1 2
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 1:07 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!

Together with an expert in IC programming, I want to flash the ROM chips on the insert of my 620LX. Will anyone please be so kind and send me all files, which are in the ROM of the CE2.11 upgrade for the 620LX by default??

Marco
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 2:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

is the chip flashable at all?
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 2:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

AFAIK yes; the brother of the expert works at HP but only M$ stores the ROM images so he has no access to them at all.
Hint for anyone who wants to help me: Copy the files out from your desktop PC-on the handheld GWES or another process locks the files for reading for all processes except ASync.

Marco
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 2:33 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

how could you copy the files... i cant copy them with activesync.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 5:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, Windows CE does not let you copy ROM files (e.g. Pocket Word...).
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-09 1:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yes, I needed some hours to check this until I found the hack with Activesync.
But you may patch the ROM files when you load a file in the RAM with the same URI.

Marco
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-09 3:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

can you describe the hack then? pleaseee
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-11-09 11:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

WHy the 620LX? Why nto something fun AND powerful, like a Clio???
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 1:56 AM
#
fragenmensch - 2005-11-08 8:23 PM

AFAIK yes; the brother of the expert works at HP but only M$ stores the ROM images so he has no access to them at all.
Hint for anyone who wants to help me: Copy the files out from your desktop PC-on the handheld GWES or another process locks the files for reading for all processes except ASync.

Marco

Seems to be there is no expert at all
1) MS has nothing to do with it. The ROM had been built by HP (with Platform Builder from MS).
2) ROM files are copy protected. You will have no access at all except running an application.

It would be possible to overwrite ROM with newer files in RAM.
You would have to substitute a lot of files. Since your handheld has only 16 MB RAM there will be not much space left ...
a better way would be just buying a new handheld.

Andreas
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 4:07 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

There are mechanisms for ripping ROMs, but as I understand it none have been used successfully on the HP machines yet... Have a gander at xda-developers.com, and follow links there to some of the tools which include source code. That might help you get started?
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 4:40 AM
#
Time ago I´ve tried out the ROM ripping tools on my J710.
No success!
Seems as if HP did a good job in protecting these files...

Andreas

Edited by AndiF 2005-11-10 4:42 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 5:43 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2005-11-10 10:07 AM

There are mechanisms for ripping ROMs, but as I understand it none have been used successfully on the HP machines yet... Have a gander at xda-developers.com, and follow links there to some of the tools which include source code. That might help you get started?

nah, you can extract the ROM of the J72x. with the right tool.
but what will you do with the files... the important system files will not run in RAM -either they're not fully extracted.. very hard to do that when they're compressed and not only in one place in the rom... or they want to be XIP.

Edited by cmonex 2005-11-10 5:45 AM
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 12:27 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

AndiF - 2005-11-10 7:56 AM

Marco

1) MS has nothing to do with it. The ROM had been built by HP (with Platform Builder from MS).
2) ROM files are copy protected. You will have no access at all except running an application.

You would have to substitute a lot of files. Since your handheld has only 16 MB RAM there will be not much space left ...

Andreas

but not the cheaper way. And it seems to be so that HP gave the files back to M$; the brother of the expert didnt find any copy of it in the HP archives-its over 6 years old i think...

marco
 Top of the page
BruceHungerford
BruceHungerford Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 4:12 PM
#
fragenmensch - 2005-11-09 12:39 PM

Yes, I needed some hours to check this until I found the hack with Activesync.
But you may patch the ROM files when you load a file in the RAM with the same URI.

Marco

I would second cmonex's request that you PLEASE describe the hack. Even if it cannot be used in this particular case, it almost certainly would be useful in others.

Thanks,
Bruce
MP890 Evangelist
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 4:36 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

AndiF - 2005-11-10 6:56 AM

Marco

Andreas

Actually you're both wrong.
Platform Releases do not come from the commercial Platform Builder like Windows CE Core, they come from a a modified platform distribution manager program (essentially a PB rewrite). All the image configuration for Platform Releases are locked down, the OEM's can only customise the driver and peripheral application layer to meet their hardware specification.

You CANNOT drag drop a new OS into RAM. It doesn't work like that. You NEED to have the boot block for the relevant version of CE, you NEED to have the system loader for the applicable version of CE. These CANNOT be drag dropped.
You also need drivers, and these are never off the shelf.

All ROM protected files on CE have a header flag - similar to the Indexing service / Read-only / system / hidden header flag in any file on a Windows PC. If this flag is present then when the H/PC runs a system call hooking or something similar over the event it fails the request.
Remembering that they are compressed, write a way to block the call to the file system driver, and you should be able to lift the ROM files directly on the device.

I remind you all that such comments are only speculative, and any actual attempt to lift ROM files is highly illegal and in breach of the H/PC ELUA. :whistles:
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 13