x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 Poor Colours

richardjackson Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 3:40 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello ! I recently re-acquainted myself with a Jornada 720 via ebay (what a smashing thing it is ... proper vga width .. not like the jasjar rubbish) (incidentally got it communicating with SE v600i via socket cf bluetooth card and unlimited 3g vodaphone data tariff too) . It is working fine, with one exception. The coolours (for a 64k colour screen) dont seem quite right. Please see ...

http://www.computersecurityuk.com/jornada720/jornada720screenproblem.jpg

for my homepage of ..

http://www.computersecurityuk.com/

which demonstrates the problem ...

I would really appreciate any comments about this (the screen, not my website please ... ..)

Thanks

Richard Jackson
mailto:richard.jackson@waterandsoap.co.uk

Edited by richardjackson 2005-11-10 3:56 AM
 Top of the page
richardjackson Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 3:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi .. me again .. just made the link work .... RJ ...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 4:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Sorry, I can't tell a thing from that screen grab - can you try again increasing the exposure time? You might need a tripod...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 5:49 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

richardjackson - 2005-11-10 9:40 AM

coolours (for a 64k colour screen) dont seem quite right. Please see ...

http://www.computersecurityuk.com/jornada720/jornada720screenproblem.jpg

for my homepage of ..

http://www.computersecurityuk.com/

which demonstrates the problem ...

looks like IE! is crap in handling some html code
what does it look like in netfront? any better? (you can get the trial version from my site, hacked for hpc2000)

but if the problem appears in pics outside the browser too, then the cause of it is that the dstn screen doesn't have all the 64k, it just tries to emulate some of the colours (at least i read so..)

hey anyway we agree, much better than jasjar (i have tried the jasjar and didn't like it, QVGA again...)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 11:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Looks like it is probably you, I'd suggest hard resetting if it's not inconvenient. See below.

You haven't replaced MFC or OLE have you? Or done something like install the HPC Pro SP onto HPC2000 (that'd do this)

Clickety
 Top of the page
richardjackson Page Icon Posted 2005-11-11 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi

Thanks to you and all the guys for the support. I have just hard reset it and I think its a tiny bit better. Do you think the DST screen gets tired in its old age ... ? ..
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 7:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The backlight does, certainly.
However not sufficiently to make gif files orange
 Top of the page
richardjackson Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 12:38 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Chris ..

Am sitting in a Starbucks thinking that I am rather pleased to be back on a 720 again. Tyhe machine is eminently usable .. i am in week one of a 2 week warrantie period... the machine seems to render lots of graphics quite well .. notably a microsoft site i landed on regarding wmv hd recordings !! >> but yet I seem to think that something is not quite right. Do you think the other correspondents suggestion to try his browser might help ? .. have you ever come accross this before or do you think that hpc users are not colour fussy and are just happy with the eneral format, bearing in mind it is a real computer (... why do people buy computers with no keyboards anyway ....) ...cheers RJ ... ps this is my third 720 .. new one bought from action comoputers (insight) from the bargain basement just as hp were stopping supply .. I ebayed that one as i though i had too much kit .. changed my mind and got a second one fromebay , which after an hp r5epair turned out to have an intermittent screen fault ...am pretty happy with this one as its performing rather well on the whole ....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah i dont care too much about colours ... i like dstn just as i like tft. but tft is nice to have when viewing some sophisticated images
 Top of the page
richardjackson Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi cmonex..
a funny thing happened.. i just got my buffalo 802.11b pcmcia card going on the 720 aagin (compaq wl100 drivers .. etc) and guess what ... the colours on my website .. (address above) are now just fine !!! ... I bet you (or anybody else) .. cant explain that .... !! ,, richard jackson .. !!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 5:35 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh good news!
it seems these machines have some kind of soul (they're just too complex!) and we can't always figure out why and what is happening
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 7:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Richard, you've got me there.. I can't explain that
 Top of the page
richardjackson Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 3:08 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi just a bit of background ...when i got it(ebay ....) the screen was really unresponsive on the initialisation ... and there was no keyborad response !! ..so did a hard reset .. and it bluescreened (never saw that before) .. let it reboot ..it came up with all the apps working at once !! .. did another hard reset ...it then worked (phew ..) but with the poor screen colours ... then another hard reset (as above) and everything good....should i be worried ? or do these things happen ...? is there a reason for this problem ? .... thanks chapd for all the support .. rj ..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 3:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

richardjackson - 2005-11-14 9:08 AM

..so did a hard reset .. and it bluescreened (never saw that before) ..

i didnt either, or i just don't understand what you mean here. can you give a bit more detailed description of the bluescreen thingie? thanks
 Top of the page
richardjackson Page Icon Posted 2005-11-16 4:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi

I was just writing abit of history on what i was dling tosolve the problem..... and there are a few typing mistakes along the way ... what i really wanted to say was THANK YOU for the support ..so i now have a wrking example of the worlds be pocket pc ....richard jackson ...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9