x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 RDP problem - a bit weird one I think

1 2
bbence
bbence Page Icon Posted 2005-11-11 3:58 PM
#
Hi!

I'm having a problem with Remote Desktop on a Jornada 720. I've enabled the RDP support in XP following the tutorial here on HPCFactor.

But Terminal Client just won't work. I've tried it with the HPC Pro RDP client and the RDP update too, to no avail. It displays an error message:
"Terminal Server ended the connection or a network error has occured. Please try to reconnect"
It displays a different error if I just type in a fake address, so it means there's some connection, but something wrong with it.
I'm thinking about that the error may lie in the fact that I did not add any users in the XP RDP setup, but it says the administrator (bbence, that's me) is enabled by default, so it shouldn't be a problem. But just to be sure, I did try to add myself again (but I'm not in a domain, so couldn't fill that one in). No dice.

Also, I'm connecting via WLAN in a rather unconventional way. See, I've bought a Sandisk CF Wlan adapter which works fine (apart from not being able to access the control panel for it, but I can live with that), but I did not really have any Wlan equipment at home, I thought I would just use in public APs. But I thought, why not check, there may be a slim hope of finding an AP in our house (which is a ten story building). And I did! An unsecured AP, which I can use to surf the web and everything. So it works. And also, its router is not secured at all - at least I think so - because I ran a check with vxUtil to see if the RDP port on my machine is open - and it is. So I think they could connect find if there wasn't this error.
I'm trying to resolve this to get RDP work, I don't really want to try other options (like VNC) right now.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
bbence

Edited by bbence 2005-11-11 3:59 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-11 6:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well you can use the utility for your sandisk card... a little hacking, or i can send the hpc version of the sandisk driver. (if this is the version without memory)

let's not forget to mention the problem is not with the wlan network as i couldn't connect to your rdp
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-11-11 6:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

If I'm understanding you correctly (and don't be surprised if I'm not), it sounds like you're administrator over the server (your PC), not administrator over the network. That may be where the problem lies. (Assuming that I know what I'm talking about, which may be a faulty assumption.)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-11 7:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well we tested it with my dsl connection, and i couldnt rdp into the pc... so its not the wlan network... or what do you mean here?
 Top of the page
bbence
bbence Page Icon Posted 2005-11-11 8:30 PM
#
Yes, that's right, cmonex tried to connect to my XP machine via RDP (have you tried the XP client, by the way?), but did not work. So it has something to do with my XP configuration.
I think the network is not a problem since this RDP thing shoul work fine over internet, the requied port is open (I've checked), RDP is running, so I'm not really sure. I've also tried to add a password to my administrator user on the XP machine, because I've read it somewhere that RDP might need one. No luck.
Now I'm begining to suspect my ISP. Althought RDP shouldn't need anything except 3389, I do know almost for certain that my ISP (UPC chello) blocks port 135 which may be needed, but don't know why.
By the way, I've tried using NetOp Remote Control, which worked, but I didn't like it because it does not allow to use a different res than the desktop res, which pretty much makes it useless. I'd like to have a convinient way to use a nice 640*240 fullscreen RDP desktop on my Jornada.
 Top of the page
bbence
bbence Page Icon Posted 2005-11-11 8:41 PM
#
Oh, and can you send me the sandisk driver you mentioned? (By the way, it's for version with the memory, though I don't think it's a problem, because the CF memory on the Wifi card is found by the device even when the driver is not installed)
But here is a funny thing: I got the control panel to run once, but never again. And didn't put any dll or anything in there, I just clicked cpl file and it ran. But then I saw it's for a different PPC orientation, so I changed the res with nydidot. After the restart, I did not run again. Very strange this is too.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 4:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That sounds like the problem I had when I tried to install the Prism CF NIC driver. It seemed to be caused by a couple of the DLL files from the driver.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 7:11 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2005-11-12 10:51 AM

That sounds like the problem I had when I tried to install the Prism CF NIC driver. It seemed to be caused by a couple of the DLL files from the driver.

no i think he wasnt talking about control panel itself, but the cpl file for the sandisk driver utility. i know that one.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 7:35 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

bbence,

Hit Event Viewer (Control Panel, Adminstrative Tools) on your Terminal Server PC. Shiney penny says there's a licensing error.

Are you connected to a Domain controller?
Have you attempted to run a RDP hack?
Are you running SP2?
 Top of the page
bbence
bbence Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 12:10 PM
#
OK, I kinda "solved" it. I had to reinstall XP to get this thing work, but at least it works. Now I onto "fixing" the only one user can logon "feature" of this XP RDP implementation. I found a website explaining how to do it.
Anyway, thanks for all the help!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-12 2:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey i already have a description on how to do the hack nvm, i hope it worked for you
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 7:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

and dobe aware that it breaks corporate features of XP - hence why I asked if you had run it above
 Top of the page
bbence
bbence Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 11:40 AM
#
What exactly do you mean by RDP hack?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 1:09 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bbence - 2005-11-13 5:40 PM

What exactly do you mean by RDP hack?

me?
this:

Now I onto "fixing" the only one user can logon "feature" of this XP RDP implementation.

Top of the page
bbence
bbence Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 2:10 PM
#
Oh, sorry, didn't realize you were talking about that.
No, actually I havent't modified anything yet. Are you talking about the hack that only works on SP2? Because I found that one, but I have yet to install SP2 on my machine, which I consider a little risky, so I'll postpone it for a while I guess.

By the way, cmonex, I saw your post in another thread saying that you may want to redesign your site. I can help you with that if you'd like, for free of course. But this is offtopic.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.236 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8