x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 RDP problem - a bit weird one I think

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 3:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You've not SP2'd are you mad?

Yes the modification only works on SP2, you need to be a welcome screen and fast user switching user - so don't attempt it if connected to a domain.... and I say again... It breaks things.

Someone start a 'CmoneX is redesigning her site' thread. Then we can all chip-in
 Top of the page
bbence
bbence Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 3:34 PM
#
Well, yeah, sometimes I'm mad, or at least I'm said to be one, but that's not really relevant here.
SP2 is not a very big deal as a security patch, I can live without it. I have a really nice SP1 XP which works fine. If I did not have this issue with RDP, I could celebrate it's two years "birthday" in a few weeks. See, I'm developing applications in quite a few environments, like ASP, PHP, Visual Basic, Delphi and a few others, and I heard that SP2 could give me a headache with a few of those. And also I have an antivir software installed, but even this is a recent development, I did not even had an antivir app a year ago. And also did not have a single virus or trojan infection, in all my IT era, which has been going on for like 10 years now. But I don't want to sound too boastful.

Long story short, I might give SP2 a shot tonight.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 4:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You've betrayed us, the IT elite who don't use Anti-Virus... you've turned to the newbie side of the force!

I have never had a problem writing code under SP2, and so long as you patch everything, you shouldn't have any problems.
The main reason for upgrading to SP2 is that it finally eliminates the explorer shell MRU problems (...what, you thought I'd say the firewall, the newbie centre, the DEP... nooo)

Install it, turn off all the junk services and be happy
 Top of the page
bbence
bbence Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 4:16 PM
#
I didn't say I'm not using it now, I just said I didn't use one for a long time. But, like I said, I didn't need one cos it wasn't neccesary. But when viruses and other exploits started to appear that did not require any interaction on the user side, like "accidentally" clicking a link, starting program or opening an email attachment, I began to play it safe. Still using Windows though, because I find it decent enough and most of my programs a dev tools run on it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 5:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bbence - 2005-11-13 8:10 PM

Oh, sorry, didn't realize you were talking about that.
No, actually I havent't modified anything yet. Are you talking about the hack that only works on SP2? Because I found that one, but I have yet to install SP2 on my machine, which I consider a little risky, so I'll postpone it for a while I guess.

By the way, cmonex, I saw your post in another thread saying that you may want to redesign your site. I can help you with that if you'd like, for free of course. But this is offtopic.

imo, there's no risk in SP2. thats a common but quite unaccurate belief.... i did believe the same before installing SP2. i have never had any problems with it. if you still use SP1 and forget to turn on your firewall, you're likely to get into troubles... with SP2 its no problem (no im not using its built-in crappy security center!)

heh and like you, i almost never used av soft (nor a firewall) until 1 year ago. not that i got any viruses, i just thought i should start using security stuff

thanks for the offer, i'll contact you about it
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 5:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-11-13 9:08 PM

Someone start a 'CmoneX is redesigning her site' thread. Then we can all chip-in

lol make an offer, not late yet!!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8