x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Microdrive compatibility with Jornada 720

jg4 Page Icon Posted 2005-11-16 5:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all

I am new to the handheld world. As a matter of fact, I haven't yet received my j720 from an ebay seller (after the wise recommendations of forumers here). Regarding storage for the Jornada, is something like this compatible?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HITACHI-4GB-MICRODRIVE-COMPACT-FLASH-CARD-TYPE-II-NEW_W0QQitemZ7560927175QQcategoryZ50519QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Notice that the seller says:

"Since drive does not have CF logo on the case, it CAN NOT be used with digital cameras and most PDAs/Pocket PCs."

I have no idea what this means, which is the reason why I ask.

Oh, and is the price reasonable?
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-11-16 6:47 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

jg4 - 2005-11-16 5:59 PM

"Since drive does not have CF logo on the case, it CAN NOT be used with digital cameras and most PDAs/Pocket PCs."

What this means is that the drive is locked in IDE mode, most likely because it's been pulled out of an MP3 player.

Normal Microdrives can operate in either CF or IDE mode. In IDE mode, the drive is basically a 1" IDE hard drive, same as any laptop or desktop IDE drive. You need an IDE interface to be able to access the drive in this mode. In CF mode, the drive acts like any other CF device and can generally be accessed by any device capable of using solid-state CF memory cards. Windows CE does not support IDE mode devices on the CF slot, although I hear rumors that CE 5.0 does have such support.

Hitachi (and others) began locking OEM Microdrives (the ones they sell to manufacturers for use in MP3 players and such) into IDE mode a while back. They did this to prevent people from buying a 6GB MP3 playerfor $200 and pulling the drive, instead of paying the $300 for an end-user Microdrive.

What this means is either (a) the drive has been removed from a device intended to use Microdrives in IDE mode only, or (b) the seller somehow purchased a lot of IDE-locked OEM Microdrives and is selling them off. Either way, it won't work in an H/PC.
 Top of the page
jg4 Page Icon Posted 2005-11-16 7:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks, that was very informative

So, does this mean that the microdrives that operate in CF mode can be used with the J720? For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=GO&Range=1&bop=and&Range=1&description=microdrive&InnerCata=14&CMP=KNC-GoogleAdwords&ATT=Hard+Drives+Hitachi+Microdrive
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-16 7:49 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Any microdrive that you buy from a reputable store will work. The other ones are rather rare exceptions, that you only find on ebay and such.
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-11-16 8:05 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi,

Yes, a retail Microdrive should work fine in a J720, or any other Windows CE device. I use a 2GB Hitachi Microdrive in my NEC MobilePro 780 (a CE 2.11 device) without any problems.

It *may* not work directly in the CF slot of a Jornada, however. I believe the CF slots on all the Jornadas accept only Type I devices. (Jornada users will correct me if I err here. ) Microdrives are all Type II (sometimes called CF+ ) devices. Type II cards are physically thicker than Type I, and won't fit in a Type I slot. It should work OK in the PCMCIA slot, with the appropriate adapter of course. The Hitachi CF to PCMCIA adapter usually cost $20 or so. You can probably find one for less than that, but make sure it's a Type II CF to PCMCIA. Most adapters are Type I CF to PCMCIA.
 Top of the page
jg4 Page Icon Posted 2005-11-16 8:05 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-16 8:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Or you could unscrew the cf card cover on the 720.
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-11-16 9:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-11-16 8:38 PM

Or you could unscrew the cf card cover on the 720.

Not necessarily. Type II cards draw more power than Type I, and a slot designed for Type I only might not supply enough operating amps to the Microdrive.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-17 1:21 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes, and the 720 supplies that power. I wasn't dreaming when I said that, many testers of Linux for the 720 have modified their slot (or just closed it with tape) to hold a microdrive. It works perfectly. And I really do not understand why the slot was not type II in the first place, because there is plenty more space under the 720 that is just air, held by the edges. A redesigned cover would not hit the table.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-11-17 3:34 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

btrimmer - 2005-11-16 5:05 PM

It should work OK in the PCMCIA slot, with the appropriate adapter of course. The Hitachi CF to PCMCIA adapter usually cost $20 or so. You can probably find one for less than that, but make sure it's a Type II CF to PCMCIA. Most adapters are Type I CF to PCMCIA.

Definitely check eBay first. I got one for about $10 there. But make sure that the Type II identification is for the CF card to be inserted. There is such a thing as a Type I CF to PCMCIA Type II adapter. Also, make sure that the seller is not confusing Type II CF with "Super II," which is just a souped-up Type I CF card.
 Top of the page
jg4 Page Icon Posted 2005-11-17 5:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks, this^^^^ makes sense now because I see ebay sellers to sell adapters which they denote as type 2 for only $0.64!! I will post, most probably, the link before I buy so that you could tell me if the card is the appropriate one

When I get the drive I will also try to use the CF slot to see if it works Thanks for the info.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 30