x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

German Leaders want to ban 1st Person shooters??

German Leaders want to ban 1st Person shooters??
OptionResults
Yes
No
Doesn't interest me
Hopefully OUR governments won't take that...
This is a multiple choice poll.

fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-17 2:14 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
The leaders of Germany(the "Great Coalition" wants to ban shooters completely. Do you think this is a good idea??

Edited by fragenmensch 2005-11-17 2:15 PM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-17 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

We've got bigger problems in the UK: our esteemed leaders and police force wish to set up a vehicle tracking database "to combat terrorism". It's nothing to do with charging by the mile, or being able to prosecute each and every speeding offence, oh no...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/15/vehicle_movement_database/

Scary, very scary. I'm writing to my MP.
 Top of the page
srtgray Page Icon Posted 2005-11-17 3:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

One of the many reasons I moved to France...

Stuart
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-17 9:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

chiark - 2005-11-17 12:44 PM

Scary, very scary. I'm writing to my MP.

That is very scary, knowing that I can be tracked anywhere, knowing what places I 'usually' go to...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-11-17 11:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

We've got that here too, Joseph. Under the USA Patriot Act, libraries and video rental stores have to provide information to the feds about what books or videos you've been checking out, cuz if we speak out against what the government is doing, we might be terrorists. They say it's about defending freedom, but I have to wonder exactly what freedom is left to defend.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-17 11:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, I sort of forgot what the Patriot Act is . Unfortunately, I believe that what is going to happen in the U.K. is going to happen here in a few years..
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-17 11:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Ok, on topic. I voted no if I want German leaders to ban 1st person shooters.
fragenmesch, do you have a link to an article? Why do they want to ban 1st/3rd person shooters?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-11-18 12:06 AM
#
H/PC Elder

IIRC, Greece banned shooter games, or was it home PCs? Talk about oppression.

IMO, we Canadians have more freedom than any other country. An example.

We *don't* have to file a tax return, *ever*, if we don't owe any taxes. We, the humble citizen, get to make the determination. Downloading music is legal, our age of consent is 14, we can lie on a federal job application without facing felony charges shows we' re prettty much left alone by our government. When I hear about foreign stupid laws I'm really glad to live here.

I'm not dissing my American friends, but they have so many retarded laws that I'm sure there isn't a day goes by that the powers that be could charge anyone they want with some sort of felony.

I'm sure there's surreptitious stuff happening in the background but not to the same degree as our southern neighbors.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-18 1:23 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

No comment. (as always. )

Its a big world. Things like this happen in series, die down for a while, perhaps a century. Then they are back again. It's a simple fact of life.
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 8:01 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

No, it wasn't published in the web; a big german free-tv station mentioned it in their news..BTW, I'm sure you have heard from the so called "Amoklauf von Erfurt" where a schoolkid played UT2k4 etc. all times, flow out of school and wanted to do a revenge; he dit this and killed 2 policemen some kids and some theachers(not very sure about the number). And the psychologists saw the shooters as primary reason for this.(I am playing UT2k4 very often-I am 14 and I don't even think of taking a flak cannon and blowing the school into air...)

Marco

PS: Psychologist need to go to jail-ATM at least 100 who have said that sexual offenders WOULDN'T do anything sexual again with a child, so the criminals came free and three days later they killed and ***ed girls...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 10:25 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I can now understand the reasons for banning shooters in Germany . That does not mean I agree with them though, people's reactions to video games differ from person to person. For example, one person may want to destroy things, and another perosn knows that it is not real. I play some shooters, not the fancy ones. I have both STV Elite Force, Elite Force II, abd STDS9 The Fallen.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 12:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Guns dont kill people, PEOPLE kill people!

I've been the subject of wrongful opression... I got a very nice and warm coat for my birthday, it was very long and black and made of wool. It was a recreation army coat from Russia or something like that. I wore it to school, and I, known for always being helpful, in the top 5% academically and the top 5% of kids who are kind nice and never get in trouble, was expelled for the day by the security guard when I told him I wouldn't remove my coat. I went home, called the principal and headmasters, and spoke with them. I never got to wear the coat again without being forced to remove it. It wasn't even a large high school, it was in a nice quiet suburban area, I was one of the kids whom everybody knew and liked, etc etc.

My little brother, who may be a tad bit alternative (Long hair, rock metal shirts etc) was expelled for a month because he wore a shirt from the band 'Napalm Death' which had a swastika on the back. The problem was, the swastika was 'x'd out' and the message underneath was something very clearly against swastikas and what they stand for. I again spoke with the principal and headmasters, and hewas re-admitted.

The reason people go crazy is the lack of other caring people. If everybody was nice to everybody, we could stop 99% of all the people-gone-crazy and catch the other 1% of people-who-are-crazy. The reason most people go overboard is a mix of actual mental instability and bad social interaction. If we get rid of the secondary ingredient to this problem, how often could it still possibly occur?
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 3:33 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have heard such stories in Michael Moore's "Stupid White Men" and I couldn't believe them...Are you going on a ultra-conservationist catholic school or what??

Marco

PS:I can see some paralleles to the ban of marijuana in the 1920's:
*Some boulevard newspapers tell that the shooters are rotten, just as some in 1920 did with hemp;
*The public accepts this; the hemp: the "danger" of it, the shooters: the danger of getting mad in mind
*The polititcians ban...

Again we can see what power newspapers have...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 5:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I agree completely with you, Pete...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 15