x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Spouses and hpcs

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 4:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I thought this might be an interesting question.

How does your spouse view your obsession with your hpc toys?

My g/f (now ex) always viewed my hpcs as silly little toys that I spent way too much time with. She didn't understand why I didn't use my d/t for surfing as it's so much faster with a much bigger screen.

She hard a hard time understanding why I'd pay so much (in her opinion) for such a limited machine. After all, forget a lot of online games, especially java based like bingo and whatnot.

She used to comment that if I kept my hpc any closer it would assimilate me

This all changed when I gave her my 565 to play with. In a matter of days she couldn't put it down. She quickly learned to love the convenience, the ability to roam around the house and use MSN, all the neat little games that were available , and the ability to go online and check her bank balance.

Then she wanted a real hpc like mine. I know I'd won her over at that point. So she got a 789 from here and she's never looked back.

I learned a valuable lesson from this. Show an unobliging spouse something about a hpc that they like or need to do and viola, they become converts and you have carte blanche to buy more
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 5:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Very funny, wallythacker...
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 6:10 PM
#
That's really good advice, but i'll probably never get a girlfriend...

Oh well, i'll always have my HPC!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 8:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

CardBoardCrusader - 2005-11-19 4:10 PM

You should not be so negative. Someday you will get one...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 9:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CardBoardCrusader - 2005-11-20 12:10 AM

Oh well, i'll always have my HPC!

why wouldnt you get one?! i'm sure you can, just be patient (and do something to achieve this)
and then you can convert her to the hpc world ...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 1:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Just do what cmonex and wallythacker say and you will eventually get one...
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 4:03 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

if she converted why did you ex her?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 6:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh, I see thee's a the Sherlock among us

Sadly, whislt we agreed about hpcs and my other nifty gadgets there was a serious problem regarding her kids, who curious as they are about them, couldn't resist them either to the point of stealing them to take to school.

That and a few other very costly episodes regarding kids and zero respect to me and my house led to a amicable mutual parting of ways.

'Nuff said.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 8:13 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Ouch wally, sorry to read that.

My wife tolerates my HPC obsession. She's known about it for years, so is mildly tolerant of it providing it doesn't cost me much, and with the success I've had on passing things on through ebay recently it's probably showing a profit

I have tried to converter, goodness only knows how I've tried... From putting the phone book into a spare psion 3 which is a lot faster than paper, and backed up too, through to using a Jornada for her school work (she's a teacher, not a student!)

So yes, she does tolerate but really doesn't understand why I've bought "yet another PDA" from ebay
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 2:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

wallythacker - 2005-11-20 5:36 AM

Oh, I see thee's a the Sherlock among us

Sadly, whislt we agreed about hpcs and my other nifty gadgets there was a serious problem regarding her kids, who curious as they are about them, couldn't resist them either to the point of stealing them to take to school.

That and a few other very costly episodes regarding kids and zero respect to me and my house led to a amicable mutual parting of ways.

'Nuff said.

ouch!!! so does that mean she gave you the 789 back? I sure did like the white paint job.
Sorry about the split though.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 7:22 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My gf liked my hpcs since the first time she saw them, in fact, she wanted my baby for her (the j680). later on, she will eventually have it.

The only thing that she doesn't like about them is that she says i spend a lot of time with them, and that i carry them everywhere i go. But so far, i haven't had any problem with her, because ever since she's known me, i have been a big gadget fan.

I think she had pretty much got used to it (also, because i've told her that i'll get her another sigmarion )
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 8:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

matrixcore - 2005-11-21 1:22 AM

I think she had pretty much got used to it (also, because i've told her that i'll get her another sigmarion )

so she1s no longer objecting to it? hehe, i can understand that!
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 8:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

lol, she's never actually complained, but i sense that she doesn't like very much the fact that i spend some time with them.

Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 12:01 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hey, thanks for the condolences guys. But my ex and I are still great friends, we just can't live together. I feel lucky since many of my friends end up hating their spouse for whatever reason and then it's too late to be friends.

Well, the deal is since the 789 was a present she gets to keep it until I find her a 790 from here or ebay. I'll feel better with her having a real 790 and the infernal flash storage so she doesn't lose important work. She agrees with me.

I'm attached to the white paint job of the 789. When the 789 comes home to daddy I'll then convert it back to a 780 with my 880 rom and update the 880 to a 890 (if my idea of USB support pans out

Then my fleet will be complete (in my mind) for NECs until I find a $200 MP900 , lol!.

Another technique I've used to get my gadgets over the years is to let my spouse(s) choose between mechanical or human mistresses
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 2:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-11-20 9:01 PM

I'll feel better with her having a real 790 and the infernal flash storage so she doesn't lose important work.

Infernal? So maybe it wasn't such an amicable split after all? (I assume you meant to type internal.)
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 8