x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

to anyone that is fimiluar with mac os !

thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 7:26 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Ok, i got this power book 5300cs of ebay about 3 weeks ago, being my first mac... i am about to tear my hair out over it....

Why?

Well it orignally had 0s 9...well with all the problems and such i down graded back to OS 7.5 hoping it would solve some problems, well after figuring out and much read and various tries...i finally got it to install the new os.......well ok...NOW the BIG problem.....no matter what i do i cant get it to install anything......ive read and read online finding nothing to help me......I keep getting a basic file assaciation message saying it cant find the program to open it with, rather an installer or a .smi file i cant open it to install....i have tried every thing that is on the system to open to no avail........it was doing the same thing with the OS 9 so i guess it wasnt a curupted system after all...Im trying to explain everything thurly so bare with me.......at first it was assocciating installers and such with scripts and such so i followed some directions i found to dissassociate and all i get is it asking me what to open it with.......nothing seems to work...im guessing i am missing somthing but cant seem to find what it is.....Any i mean any refrence , help is welcome and thanks !
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 8:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

My guess is that you need to reformat your drive, then insert your OS 7.5 or 9 Disc and hold the 'C' key as the machine boots up...
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-11-19 9:09 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well thanks...but it doesnt have a cd rom drive...i have actully solved a problem...Not total but its a start.....I needed a program to expand the alladin expander files so i could get it on the mac....it would work using the pc verison....it would changhe the file somehow wher the mac could read it......i used a program called mac disk it expands the arcive in the program directly to a mac formatted disk...this was unexplained in the program readme, i just kinda figured it out for myself that it expands the file to disk for you and that keeps the integrity of the mac file intact for when you put it in......but ofcourse the disk that you use has to be a mac formatted flopppy....anyway's i now have the aladin expander program on the mac and it has opened just about anything ive been trying...now just to figure out how to set up network with a pc router....., LOL........it just amazes me that theres not a program opener that propiety to the mac...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 12:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Pleased to see you could solve *most* of the problem.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 27