x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Microdrive (CFII) Mod?

1 2
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 3:18 AM
#
I have a Jornada 680 (e). Its running Linux from compact flash. I've heard that compact flash cards tend to break if used too much. Then I heard of Microdrives, which apparantly do not suffer this problem.

The new problem is that microdrives all seemt to be typeII. The Jornada only has a CF I slot. My question: is the only difference between types I and II the size of the card? If it is, would taking the back off the little popup slot thing allow me to use one?
 Top of the page
Alex_the_Greek
Alex_the_Greek Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 8:36 AM
#
My friend, I think you are exaggerating...

It is extremely difficult to brake a memory card as thick as a CF! Unless if you refer to the teeth of its port, in which case, if supposingly there was such a problem, it would exist with microdrives too.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 8:48 AM
#
I believe he means after a certain number of bit-flips the card gets 'dead' sectors. Which is true.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 9:22 AM
#
Yeah - thats what i meant.

Im running Linux off a cf card at the moment, and dont think that it will be good for it. Thats why i'm looking for a microdrive
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 12:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2005-11-20 9:18 AM

I have a Jornada 680 (e). Its running Linux from compact flash. I've heard that compact flash cards tend to break if used too much. Then I heard of Microdrives, which apparantly do not suffer this problem.

The new problem is that microdrives all seemt to be typeII. The Jornada only has a CF I slot. My question: is the only difference between types I and II the size of the card? If it is, would taking the back off the little popup slot thing allow me to use one?

solution. pcmcia-cf II adapter for the microdrive and use it in the pcmcia slot. if you need wifi / lan too, CF type I wlan / lan card in the cf slot...
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 1:22 PM
#
I wouldnt be able to use a lan card in the compact flash slot. There'd be no-where for the wire

We're very close to military land so WLAN is not allowed (and doesn't work anyway).

Good advice though, i'll look into it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well if you use both the pcmcia and the cf slot, doesn't the cf slot protrude so that you can fit a wire there? i'm thinking of such lan cards here like mine which doesn't occupy much space with the lan connector,... actually the whole card fits inside the device without sticking out of the device, so the connector is very slim. disadvantage is the proprietary cable and the cable for mine is very short. dunno if that can be attached to another cable to make it longer

ok this isnt really easy

edit: lol and i realized now my lan card is pcmcia. not sure if it exists in cf format

oh and just an interesting link, doubt it would help (or..?) :
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/insidecomputer/cofltopcadco.html

Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 4:49 PM
#
Most of the lan cards seem to be type II also. What actually is the difference between them? Is it just the size?

Or, does anyone know of a combined microdrive and network card in the pcmcia format?

Edited by chazco 2005-11-20 4:51 PM
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 5:06 PM
#
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59218

This says it works with both voltages. If it is just thickness, would removing the cover of that little popup thing work?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 7:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2005-11-20 10:49 PM

Most of the lan cards seem to be type II also. What actually is the difference between them? Is it just the size?

Or, does anyone know of a combined microdrive and network card in the pcmcia format?

mhm, you mean CF type II? i have a cf lan card too and it is type I. yeah just thickness is the difference.
(whoops, just how many cards do i have here??? two wlan (three if the cardbus for the laptop counts), three bluetooth, two lan, many cf and sd memory cards.. they just keep coming and coming without me paying for them! )
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 1:24 AM
#
Think i'll try it then. I'll try to find someone nearby who has a spare microdrive
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 1:39 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ugh. Like I said in the last thread, all you need to do is unscrew the top of the cover off. Then it will work. Perfectly.

If you want, make your own cover. C:Amie suggested acrylic to me, but since I do not have a microdrive, I have not gotten to it. Others just use electric tape (black).

I am not one to like wasting the pcmcia slot for a drive. It is for networking, since the Jornada's inconvieniently do not have ethernet built in (why?!).
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 1:49 AM
#
I've seen it done on the 720, mine is a 680, so it might require slightly more alteration. I've still got the dutch railways false bottom somewhere though.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 12:54 PM
#
Has anyone done this on the Jornada 680? I know it works on the 720.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 4:34 AM
#
Anyone?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 11