x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Computer which resemble H/PCs in more ways than one....

1 2 3 4
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 6:48 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Just getting a bit off topic with computers (x86) which could replace an H/PC.... I'm really just fooling around with the idea.....

I spotted a few which are the same size as a Jornada 820, my model of choice..
Hitach Traveller 3745
http://www.hitachipc.com/products/pdf/vb_traveler.pdf
p133 MMX and 40MB RAM, with whatever massive HDD I can stuff in it :-P

Anybody else got any good ones, worth mentioning? Please omit the new lap warming models, Transmetas and Librettos... Librettos are overrated, and Transmeta is known for long battery life, and extra slow processing ability :-P Not to mention high overhead for the CMS.

FYI Jornada 820 Specs:
9.7x7x1.3 at 40Oz
8.2" LCD
90% Keyboard

Edited by Pete P. 2005-11-21 6:54 PM
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 7:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Cool find - I hadn't seen the Hitachi before. I have an Aero 8000, which is a little bigger and heavier than the J-820 (10" screen, just under 3 lbs.). I've thought about looking into older, lighter laptops if/when the Aero dies. I don't need connectivity; I teach part-time, so I need a small, light machine that can run MS Office apps (esp. Word & PowerPoint). If I did it, though, I'd want at least Win98 and a USB port. That's one of my few gripes about the Aero and other HPCs - no useful USB port (except for plugging in a mouse).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

PDXMark - 2005-11-22 1:21 AM

Cool find - I hadn't seen the Hitachi before. I have an Aero 8000, which is a little bigger and heavier than the J-820 (10" screen, just under 3 lbs.). I've thought about looking into older, lighter laptops if/when the Aero dies. I don't need connectivity; I teach part-time, so I need a small, light machine that can run MS Office apps (esp. Word & PowerPoint). If I did it, though, I'd want at least Win98 and a USB port. That's one of my few gripes about the Aero and other HPCs - no useful USB port (except for plugging in a mouse).

heh, you CAN use usb stuff *** on most of the hpc's with usb host ports... hmm maybe search for iamjoe on this thread and you'll see what you've missed so far.
(not sure if the clik drivers have a SH4 version.. check it out)

***: anything you want to... cameras, pendrives, hdd's whatever...

Edited by cmonex 2005-11-21 7:54 PM
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 9:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I think the USB Clik! drivers are not available for SH4.

and sepaking about laptops which resemble HPCs, there's already a thread in the forum which talks abouts sony vaios and toshiba librettos

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 9:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I want it! Does anyone know how much it is? It would be simply just perfect for my growing collection of old MS-DOS games! (Star Trek DS9 Harbinger and Star Trek TNG A Final Unity to name a few )
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 12:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Librettos and Picturebooks.... Too common to bother :-)

NEC 120LT/QPid
http://nbook.ru/nb/n-r120.shtml
Can anybody say Jornada 820??? It's a bit wider, though :-P

Any other models people like to mention? No Librettos or Picturebooks, lap-toasters or Transmeta :-P Sorry to be picky... I've had my fair share of the last 2 and they are jsut not comparable to the H/PC Class device.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 12:06 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Tenjean: I have a Dauphin DTR-1 running DOS.... First tablet EVER! 6MB/25MHz/IDE interface currently empty....
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 12:45 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

There are a lot of hp/c "look a likes" I have a Libretto, which is not a bad pc but there is one problem you are going to find on many of these subnotebooks. They had very limited production runs and parts for them are extremely scarce, especially for batteries. They will also be rather expensive when you find them. If you truly want to be mobile you may find them difficult to maintain.

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 3:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't know. If I'm getting a notebook PC without the instant-on capability of CE, higher-maintenance hardware, and shorter battery life, I may as well get something to compensate - say, a larger screen and more storage space? I have a Sharp Actius that also weighs about three pounds, not including external floppy and CD/DVD drives. For that I get a Pentium III at 1.0 GHz, a 40 GB hard drive, and a 12.1" XGA screen. And it's less than an inch thick. That has its advantages too - sure, it's a bit big to lug around, but it fits nicely in a briefcase. Anyway, its most frequent function nowadays is as my H/PC server.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 10:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Pete P. - 2005-11-21 10:06 PM

I have a Dauphin DTR-1 running DOS.... First tablet EVER! 6MB/25MHz/IDE interface currently empty....

Very cool! Does it happen to have a Sound Blaster card and a CD-Drive? Where did you find it? Oh wait, an IDE interface? Yes, I might be able to add a CD-Drive...
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 11:02 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

No, no sound (or SoundBlaster) and no CD-ROM. Greyscale active-RF stylus, however :-) But no pen... and it's glitchy :-( It does boot, and I want to put Win95 on it, you know, just for kicks!

My Versa Ultralite is quite nice, but still a bit too big for me. 10.4", 600MHz Transmeta, and Win2k for super-duper-slow boot times. I'll be putting WinXP on it as soon as I feel like it... Bt I do want to 'ghost' it' Win2k install: It has about 12 Licences :-P
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 11:18 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Ok, thanks... Windows 95 will probably run slowly on the tablet, however, it would be cool to try it with Windows 3.1x...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 3:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Pete P. - 2005-11-22 6:04 AM

NEC 120LT/QPid
http://nbook.ru/nb/n-r120.shtml
Can anybody say Jornada 820??? It's a bit wider, though :-P

woooow almost exactly like a 820!!!
how is your black 820?
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 12:57 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Oh! Did I mention I found the battery??? I will be selling it... Ebay, however :-P I may or may not get it working first.... But I dont think the battery is any good :-(
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 9:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

If the battery does not work, you could sell on eBay as parts...
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.304 - Cached queries : 16 - Executed queries : 66