x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

discontinued versions of Textmaker 2002

quiche Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 11:18 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have a Hitachi Eplate that runs HPC Pro and a sh4 processor and also a MobilePro 790 that runs HP 2000 with a MIPS processor. I found old versions on the Internet for Textmaker 2002 and they are trials that will expire. So I contacted Softmaker and asked if they sell these legacy versions of Textmaker and they said they don't, that sh4 and sh3 are buggy versions and have been discontinued.

How can I get non-expiring versions of these programs? Shouldn't they be in the public domain now, since Softmaker has discontinued them?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 3:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You will probably have to request purchasing the software from Scansoft with the understanding that there may be some bugs in it for your device.

Just because a program is no longer being sold or supported doesn't place it in the public domain. Copyrighted material remains outside the PD for a period of 95+ years from the date of copyright unless released by the authors or current ownership.

If they won't sell you one, your only other option is to repeatedly install the trial version after performing a hard reset to your device upon expiration, fooling the handheld into thinking it is older than it is....

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 3:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

very good questions! not easy to answer them
(edit: i see now you got the answers about how to buy it )

why can't they help you with this

hmm, anyway i think the MP790 can run the current textmaker release, sorry if i'm wrong.

btw are you quicheazal on ppcmag?

Edited by cmonex 2005-11-22 3:53 PM
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yes, I'm Quicheazal over there.

I did contact Softmaker regarding the sh4 and mips versions. They sent me back an email say sh4 and sh3 were buggy and therefore discontinued.

I think this is a shame. I was asking for a price - but they said they won't sell them. I've found that out with a few of these programs. They won't even sell you the older, legacy versions.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.191 - Cached queries : 41 - Executed queries : 30