x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Velo 1 Concerns

1 2 3
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hi, All,

Out of pure intrigue, today on ebay, I bought a Velo 1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5833352537&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It seemed to come with a lot of its necessities, including the CE 2.0 upgrade. But later research tells me that instead of its present 8mb, I really need 12mb to run 2.0.

Can anybody confirm this, and if true, what workarounds are available to me?

I was already going to run this machine barebones--nPOP, Total Commander, and TeraTerm, nothing else. Can I still do this?

And if I can't, is it possible to delete some of the 2.0 programs? From what I've read, the Velo 2.0 upgrade, because of its own 4mbs limitation (the upgrade appears to be on a card), puts some 2.0 programs into DRAM. I don't need Excel, fax, etc. Can I delete those and free up space for PIE, Inbox, and Contacts?

I know my J-720 and my Psions, but here I am a newbie. Yet a fast learner

Thanks for any help,
Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 8:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Sorry, but you cannot delete ROM programs, however on a DRAM card I do not know... Of course, since your Velo 1 came with the CE 2 upgrade, so you do not have to install PowerPoint. Also, I believe that the Velo 1 upgrade adds 4 MB of RAM...
Hope this somehow helps...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 8:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks for your quick post. I knew that ROM programs can't be deleted, but there seems to be some debate as to how much Philips had to dump into DRAM to get their 2.0 update to work. I don't know for certain, since I don't yet have the machine in front of me.

It'd be nice to lose Powerpoint, but as for the upgrade itself, it is essentially a 4 mb card that permanently takes up the slot, leaving with just your DRAM--in my case, that's 8mbs.

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 8:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

No problem... Did the seller include pictures of the device running? Good choice on a CE
device...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 5:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i have a velo 1... congrats on your purchase, wise choice. the original upgrade came with a dram module, 4 or 8 mb, i forgot. if your lucky you will be getting that with your velo.

i think 8 mb should be enough though barely. you dont have to install all stuff, for example the modem stuff, if you're not planning to use the modem.

you cannot delete programs from the rom card, be it their proprietary flashcard or not.

thats all i can say now, will try to look into the issue.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 5:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i have a velo 1... congrats on your purchase, wise choice. the original upgrade came with a dram module, 4 or 8 mb, i forgot. if your lucky you will be getting that with your velo.

i think 8 mb should be enough though barely. you dont have to install all stuff, for example the modem stuff, if you're not planning to use the modem.

you cannot delete programs from the rom card, be it their proprietary flashcard or not.

thats all i can say now, will try to look into the issue.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 7:15 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hi, Cmonex,

Thanks for your post, and thanks for your encouragement about my purchase. My 2.0 upgrade only comes with an extra 4mb dram, giving me a total of 8mb, not the 12mb that Philips finally admiitted that a user really needs:

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/foster/980406ef.htm

Since I need only word processing, email, and TeraTerm access to the Internet, I've been playing with the idea of simply going back to CE 1.0. But even if I could get on-line with my cell phone (I saw your reg hack of getting 1.0 to recognize a cell phone), the PC connection remains problematic.

My laptop has XP Pro and AS 3.8, and those appear mutually exclusive to H/PC Explorer, and since CE 1.0 doesn't support IROBEX, I couldn't even ship files via IR (not to mention synching with Outlook).

I suppose I could email files--if I could get 1.0 on line with a cell phone--but obviously, that's not worth the hassle.

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 12:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Also, you could (find first) and buy a DRAM or VRAM, adapter for PCMCIA. I know you cannot install programs on a PCMCIA card in CE 1.0. but you could put your files on it...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 1:15 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

True, but if running CE 1.0, I'd still be left with larger problem of HPC/Explorer, which is not copesetic in any way with ActiveSync, and I need AS.

I hope Cmonex is right "on the monex" when she says CE 2.0 and Velo's 8 mbs are a doable combination.

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 1:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh, sorry, I forgot you were using CE 2.0 on the Velo... Then you could install problems on the PCMCIA card...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 3:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i don't know for sure, but if you just do word processing it (the 8 mb) should be fine.

interesting article..

that hinge.. when i got mine, it was perfect. it is still good, but someone else has used my velo for a few mins, and when i got it back, it started to feel a little quirky, i.e. when i open the velo and i'm not careful enough, it feels like the hinge wants to fully open (so not supporting the screen). but it only *feels* so, in fact it works just fine.
anyway.. i shouldn't allow others to touch my hpc's (think of wallythacker's intermec!!)
oh and because of this, i doubt that it is the docking station that causes this problem. not that i have the problem

mobile phone connection with CE 1? you need to make sure your provider is compatible. we have three cell phone and gprs providers here in hungary, and only one is compatible. at least with CE 2 and i don't think CE 1 is better in this respect...?
with the other two providers, the MC16 (i didn't try it with the velo) will connect but can't receive or send any data.
btw, the two that didn't work are worldwide providers (t-mobile, vodafone), the one that worked, is hungary only (or its name is different in other countries. no idea.)

pc connection: you can have both AS and H/PC explorer on a XP PC (or i don't remember correctly?) with a little fiddling..

about emailing files.. before that, you need to get a regeditor on the velo.
edit: sorry, no, you can establish a dialup connection just fine..
(just be careful about dialing patterns)

you do not have to install everything with H/PC explorer, if the program is a little exe, most of the time it will work without installing.

edit: hmm, if you want to do serious typing on it... i like the sharp mobilon hc-4100's keyboard so much more than the velo's.

Edited by cmonex 2005-11-23 3:49 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 3:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think if you install ActiveSync first, then H/PC Explorer, it works fine except that H/PC Explorer has AS help files ...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 3:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2005-11-23 1:29 PM

you do not have to install everything with H/PC explorer, if the program is a little exe, most of the time it will work without installing.

Or be lazy and make people with CE 1.0 H/PCs e-mail the exe files...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I looked at a lot of posts last night, and in that blur, I think I remember Chris saying that HPC/Explorer can't run with AS on any machine. And his tutorial about Explorer and XP promises difficulty since the whole procedure seems to trick XP somewhat. But Tenjeangosi thinks it can be done, hmmm...

My first try will be with CE 2.0 and see if there's enough memory to synch contacts and get email and telnet and use PocketWord. It's be nice to find room for npop for smtp-authenticated mail (303K) and Total Commander (280K) for IR transfers to my Dell.

It does seem that PPT doesn't need to be installed, saving me 800+ K, and I hope that helps. As for storage, I just need room for the couple of docs I presently work on.

Crime is so high in Costa Rica and I have to travel so much that I no longer feel comfortable leaving my razor-wired house with my J-720. It's just too precious, so I turn to the Velo. Though with all my googling and posting, I'm starting to feel pretty attached to this machine, too Even though it may never come, just like Tenjeangosi's didn't

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

don't worry about that post... C:Amie admitted later that it could be done... that post is an old one.

the tutorial isn't so bad, he just writes such long tutorials that it looks like it is complicated. (ok, i never tried installing H/PC Explorer on my XP.. just win98)

Though with all my googling and posting, I'm starting to feel pretty attached to this machine, too Even though it may never come, just like Tenjeangosi's didn't

oh yeah this is the coolest hpc with CE 1.0 ever.
mine arrived fine... though it was a local buy.. ok i'm starting to feel lucky.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.201 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8