x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Back in the HPC world!

1 2
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 10:53 PM
#
Hey guys! I haven't been around for a while because I sold my Jornadas. Well, I just got an MP 900C and am back!

I'm going to have to get used to Win CE.NET compared to HPC2000, but shouldn't be a big deal.

One question, what types of apps work on WinCE.NET? If the program shows PPC or HPC which is more likely to work on CE.NET?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 1:23 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

H/PC software is always going to have a higher success rate, as long as it is compiled for the same processor.

Although, on CE.Net, there is a much greater chance of more modern ppc applications running. Cmonex is pretty good at tweaking them to work.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 5:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

you should use the HPC version, definitely. ce.net is just a newer hpc2000, without the platform. (e.g. you wont have a few apps built in), only the CE core.

you can hack more wm2003 apps than on hpc2000 but the ppc programs that work fine without any hexedit on hpc2000 (with just a few dummy dlls) may require hexediting to work on ce.net.

Top of the page
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 10:10 AM
#
Thanks guys! I'm going to be digging into using the unit over the next couple weeks and will install and hack like crazy!

My initial impression is that it is a nice unit but I REALLY wish the screen was higher res. Everything looks SO huge! I used a Psion Netbook Pro a while back and loved it! The higher res and larger screen made it a fantastic unit. Too bad they are brutally expensive.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 5:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

dazz - 2005-11-23 4:10 PM

Thanks guys! I'm going to be digging into using the unit over the next couple weeks and will install and hack like crazy!

My initial impression is that it is a nice unit but I REALLY wish the screen was higher res. Everything looks SO huge! I used a Psion Netbook Pro a while back and loved it! The higher res and larger screen made it a fantastic unit. Too bad they are brutally expensive.

yeah, when i use the sigmarion for a couple of hours and then the NEC, it is a little uncomfortable having to get used to a totally different screen dpi... but if i don't use the sigmarion directly before the NEC, i don't mind...
oh and one of my friends' dream is to have a 900C... i showed my 900C and sigmarion to him a few days ago and he was all over the nec but hated the sigmarion's tft (!!), 800x480 (!!) screen because it was so small..
oh and the netbook pro is too big for him (and for me).. when i met with some lucky ones who have a netbook pro, both of them were amazed at my 900C because it was so compact.

anyway, looking forward to your hackin' experiences
 Top of the page
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 1:18 AM
#
Just goes to show you that taste are different.

I seem to remember the Netbook Pro as being only slightly larger front to back. Isn't that correct?

Over the last few months I have been using an Axim x50v exclusively and have even been using it in "true" VGA mode. Talk about small fonts!! After using that with my IR keyboard the NEC screen icons and fonts look MASSIVE!!

BTW, one of the things I liked about the NB Pro was Cleartype fonts! Because this is also a nwer unit with Win CE.NET I figure it would have the same. Also, the NB Pro seemed to use tap-and-hold menus a lot more.

I gotta stop thinking about that NB Pro! I'll drive myself crazy!

Anyway, nice to have an HPC again! The keyboard/PPC thing is good sometimes but around the house I MUCH prefer the HPC. The keyboard on this NEC is a great size or touch typing. I liked my Jornada 720 but it took a while to get used to typing with it.

If anyone wants to give me a headstart what are some essential hacks/utilities I just HAVE to do?
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 2:53 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi,

in the yahoo handheld pcs group theres a small utility that you might use to enable cleartype.

about hacks: if you mean getting ppc2003 software to work in the MP, you'll need PEInfo and ExecutabilityCheck. i'll also recommend you a program called "OKApp". and a good pack of ppc dummy dlls

As general system utilities, you might want to have a look at WR-Tools Resinfo. If you need a Registry editor, you could use TRE.

I also have ItaskMgr (i'd like ITaskMgr+NetMgr, but i can't find it anywhere), GSFinder+, GSPlayer (WMP sucks bad time).

In the Document and office dept. i'd recommend: Softmaker's TextMaker & PlanMaker, and Ruksun's PPTForce. as well as Westtek's clearvue suite & jetcet print

hope this helps
 Top of the page
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 11:43 AM
#
Matrixcore, awesome! Thanks.

I am trying to find the right Yahoo Group to find out about that Cleartype hack. Do you have a link?

WR-Tools Resinfo looks good. Hadn't tried that before, but will now.

I've already got TCPMP installed as well as Resco Explorer but have been using GSPlayer for a long time and will load that as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for pointing me to TRE. Looks good. I had wanted a regediter and wasn't sure which I should use.

Thanks again Matrixcore!
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 12:41 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi,

this link will take you to the HPC group. however, you need to ask a moderator for permission before joining. you'll find out how when you get to the group's page.

Hope it's been useful
 Top of the page
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 1:13 PM
#
Thanks. I have signed up and am waiting for approval. I did a google on this (cleartype for 900c) and can't find this info anywhere! I'm really hoping it is a working hack. It would make the screen so much nicer to look at.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 3:58 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I dunno if it works in the MP900, but it works in the sig3, so hopefully, they'll have the same innards
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 5:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

dazz - 2005-11-24 7:18 AM

I seem to remember the Netbook Pro as being only slightly larger front to back. Isn't that correct?

Also, the NB Pro seemed to use tap-and-hold menus a lot more.

nope, the netbook pro is much larger than the NEC. it is like twice as big as the NEC. so those friends with the netbook pro's were really amazed and liked the 900C very much.
i'll upload a pic about the NEC and NB Pro from that pda meeting, but beware, the quality won't be that excellent.

how do you mean NB Pro uses tap and hold more often?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 5:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

matrixcore - 2005-11-24 8:53 AM

about hacks: if you mean getting ppc2003 software to work in the MP, you'll need PEInfo and ExecutabilityCheck. i'll also recommend you a program called "OKApp". and a good pack of ppc dummy dlls

As general system utilities, you might want to have a look at WR-Tools Resinfo. If you need a Registry editor, you could use TRE.

I also have ItaskMgr (i'd like ITaskMgr+NetMgr, but i can't find it anywhere), GSFinder+, GSPlayer (WMP sucks bad time).

about hacks, you forgot the aygshell hexediting! i can understand that because you haven't got your 900C yet. i'll explain. ce.net 4.2 (unlike earlier versions of ce and ce.net) uses a specific version of aygshell.dll for its gui. so either the pocketpc program will work with that aygshell (and without any dummy aygshell!! this means you don't have to hack AT ALL, in some lucky cases) or you'll need to hexedit the executables for a dummy aygshell (i use "aygshelp").
i never needed okapp. did you ever need it? when (with which app) and why?
oh and ce.net tends to have screwed up menus sometimes, i.e. the window is very small, and you can't see anything in it. winwatch solves that but you know that app already.

i have itaskmgr+netmgr, want it?

regeditor. you need phm too because tre can't do a decent Find.......
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 9:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

yeah, i know about ce.net 4.2 "ppc compatibility", as microsoft calls it, but i thought that the app first searched inside it's own dir and then in the system path.

About the OkApp, i needed it for.... well i can't recall the app, but it was an app that won't respond when using enter and esc, as they normally do

yes, if i could have itaskmgr+netmgr it'll be great if you can get it to the ftp or to my mail please.

and you'll need TRE too because PHM can't do a decent import/export . and also, if i need to find something in TRE, i export it, open it with pword and search from there .

About the minimo PEInfo stuff, i cheated (didn't used it), i use a PC tool called dependency checker.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 11:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

matrixcore - 2005-11-25 3:46 AM

yeah, i know about ce.net 4.2 "ppc compatibility", as microsoft calls it, but i thought that the app first searched inside it's own dir and then in the system path.

About the OkApp, i needed it for.... well i can't recall the app, but it was an app that won't respond when using enter and esc, as they normally do

yes, if i could have itaskmgr+netmgr it'll be great if you can get it to the ftp or to my mail please.

and you'll need TRE too because PHM can't do a decent import/export . and also, if i need to find something in TRE, i export it, open it with pword and search from there .

About the minimo PEInfo stuff, i cheated (didn't used it), i use a PC tool called dependency checker.

the app does search in the local dir first, but it cant do anything with any aygshell placed there, if aygshell.dll is already loaded in ram. and as ce.net 4.2 uses aygshell for its gui, it is always in use.

itask.. ok, i'll upload it to the ftp..

i never said you shouldn't use tre... i said "too"... the import / export is useful in it. mew, isn't it uncomfortable to have to do an export and then open it and search in it and ... ?

ah well, depedency checker never worked out for me .. but it is faster, that's for sure hehehe
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8