x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Back in the HPC world!

1 2
ozone Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 11:49 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

So dazz... I've been following your thread. Good to hear from a fellow Canadian! So, you like your NEC 900C so far? Or is it just too limiting? I'm thinking of picking one up myself - although for no good reason other than it's a gadget.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 12:18 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ozone - 2005-12-05 5:49 AM

So dazz... I've been following your thread. Good to hear from a fellow Canadian! So, you like your NEC 900C so far? Or is it just too limiting? I'm thinking of picking one up myself - although for no good reason other than it's a gadget.

well did we already talk about hpc's on brighthand...?
if you want not just a gadget and if you want to surf on it all day, consider the netbook pro (as i said web browsing on it is amazing)

btw, so you're picking up a 900C just because it is a gadget ... are you already planning to sell it then? beware, maybe you fall in love with it (oh, probably not, with this attitude )
 Top of the page
ozone Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 3:40 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

cmonex... oh yeah... we did talk about HPCs on BrightHand! I think it's the same 10 people who come in and out of these forums. I was a member of BrightHand long before I joined HPC Factor.

Speaking of the NetBook Pro, a long time ago, I did manage to view a NetBook Pro in person, but there's so few of them in Canada, they're really expensive, and practically none for sale on EBay these days. The thing is that the NB Pro is about 3.5 lbs and is fairly big - I might just as well stick with a regular laptop!

I don't think I'd really be getting a 900C for much web browsing anyways. From a practical perspective though, I don't know what the 900C would offer me over my current setup of a tablet and a BlackBerry.

I was thinking about a 900C... just because I've been thinking about it for so long! Sigh... it's an obsession all these little gadgets.

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 10:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, I am a member of BrightHand as well... I mainly ask questions about my Palm (that I want to sell )...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 1:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ozone,

no, it is much more than 10 ppl here on hpcfactor.....

the netbook pro isn't 3.5 lbs it is around 2.2 iirc.

900C... so why have you been thinking of it for so long?
 Top of the page
ozone Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 2:26 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Four years ago, when I was at a conference, I used my Palm Vx to take notes at a seminar. It occurred to me, "what a great idea"! I already knew that there were collapsible keyboards, so I got one for the Palm on sale, but then I realized that it wasn't stiff enough - plus, setting it up all the time proved a hassle. A small hassle, but still a bother nonetheless. I also loved the 'instant on' capabilities of Palm devices. So, I became convinced that a simple data entry device would be great: sort of like a Dana, but better looking!

Not long afterwards, I stumbled across WinCE devices and I said, "Holy Cow and Fries! This is the solution!" I looked at a few, including the Jornadas and MP 790. I got an Intermec 6651 off EBay and all the toys: extra battery, VGA out cable, etc. BUT... it was too slow. The keyboard is a little too small and the passive digitizer, well, sucks. But, sometimes when I do field research, a full size laptop is too much and too expensive to risk. So, the Intermec still has POTENTIAL use.

Then, the 900 and the 900C came out. I keep wondering if the improved processor will solve my speed and performance issues. Of course, the screen I've heard is not the greatest, but I love the idea of instant on. Rich Hawley over at HPCNET thinks I'm hilarious with my constant debates... and my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Right now though, I'm using an HP TC4200 tablet and I have to admit, it works pretty well. I do some heavy PowerPoint and other office type applications where I suspect the WinCE platform will eventually give out, even with the latest SoftMaker applications.

So, I suspect the 900C would only ever remain a gadget.

... it's just that I've been looking at the 900C and NB Pro for soooo long, it's hard to just stop thinking about them!

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.152 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9