x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Same old, same old

1 2
PBWookiee Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm a newbie Jornada 720 user and am having trouble finding practical uses for it. I've been researching and downloading like crazy for the last couple of months. I even bought the socket bluetooth connection kit with cf card and pc card adapter. I also got the teletype mini bluetooth GPS US kit.

I'm a technical person, but I don't have a lot of actual book knowledge. I've ran into some driver issues with a usb cardbus pc card I thought would work and have even read some of the Microsoft pages about creating drivers for WINCE. Way over my head. I understand about using the agyshell.dll files and GAPI gx.dll files to run PPC programs on my HPC 2000 WINCE 3.0 os. But it's not working as easy as putting some .dll's in my \windows folder.

When I run the install on my PC for the bluetooth software and the teletype gps software, ActiveSync 4.1 tells me it's not compatible with my unit. I've got the bluetooth to work by copying the .cab file from the install directoy on my PC to my handheld. When I run the .cab file, it warns me that it's not compatible. When I try the same thing with the gps program it does the same thing and installs, but it won't launch at all. I'm really lost at this point and would appreciate any help and input.

I was really looking forward to using this for gps navigation and wireless internet. It's just not worth keeping for just the wireless internet, I don't think. I had also thought about using it for organization and mobile emails. Even thought about writing a custom database in MSAccess to track my pizza deliveries. But I don't think it's worth any more time or money if I can't get the gps software to work.

Thank you for your time.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 5:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Windows ce 3.0 does not work with cardbus cards...
Joseph
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 5:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

PBWookiee - 2005-11-23 3:12 PM

I understand about using the agyshell.dll files and GAPI gx.dll files to run PPC programs on my HPC 2000 WINCE 3.0 os. But it's not working as easy as putting some .dll's in my \windows folder.

Go here: Use it for getting PPC programs on your H/PC... The user, cmonex, deserves a congratulations for her site...
http://www.freeweb.hu/izemize/arm.zip
PBWookiee - 2005-11-23 3:12 PM

When I run the install on my PC for the bluetooth software and the teletype gps software, ActiveSync 4.1 tells me it's not compatible with my unit. I've got the bluetooth to work by copying the .cab file from the install directoy on my PC to my handheld. When I run the .cab file, it warns me that it's not compatible. When I try the same thing with the gps program it does the same thing and installs, but it won't launch at all. I'm really lost at this point and would appreciate any help and input.

I believe that AS 4.1 does not support your H/PC.. Second off, I recommend that you either install AS 4.0, (is a beta, but supports bluetooth), or a highly recommend AS 3.8... Also, you need to make sure that you install programs for the right processor. *In your case, StrongARM/ARM...
Hope this helps...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

PBWookiee - 2005-11-23 11:12 PM

I'm a newbie Jornada 720 user and am having trouble finding practical uses for it. I've been researching and downloading like crazy for the last couple of months. I even bought the socket bluetooth connection kit with cf card and pc card adapter. I also got the teletype mini bluetooth GPS US kit.

I'm a technical person, but I don't have a lot of actual book knowledge. I've ran into some driver issues with a usb cardbus pc card I thought would work and have even read some of the Microsoft pages about creating drivers for WINCE. Way over my head. I understand about using the agyshell.dll files and GAPI gx.dll files to run PPC programs on my HPC 2000 WINCE 3.0 os. But it's not working as easy as putting some .dll's in my \windows folder.

I was really looking forward to using this for gps navigation and wireless internet. It's just not worth keeping for just the wireless internet, I don't think. I had also thought about using it for organization and mobile emails. Even thought about writing a custom database in MSAccess to track my pizza deliveries. But I don't think it's worth any more time or money if I can't get the gps software to work.

the socket bluetooth driver should be compatible! maybe you installed the wrong cab. i can tell you which is the right one, i have a socket bluetooth myself and it works beautifully

do not use activesync 4.1! use 3.8...

if you need USB, buy the ratoc usb card, version 1.1, it is a compactflash card.

what ppc programs would you like to run? not all of them will work, and yes the hack is a little more complicated sometimes.

does the teletype maps have a hpc2000 version of the software?

oh and do a little more research, on this site, many others have outdated information... this site hpcfactor, handheld attitude and hpcnec.com and a few more sites have up-to-date information.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 5:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the arm.zip is not always enough, but it is a good start.

my site? it doesn't even have a decent design

cpu can be XScale as well, the jornada 720 is compatible with that too.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 6:01 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Its not CE, the actual hardware does not accept any more than 16-bit pcmcia cards. So, no cardbus.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 6:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2005-11-23 3:55 PM

the arm.zip is not always enough, but it is a good start.

my site? it doesn't even have a decent design

cpu can be XScale as well, the jornada 720 is compatible with that too.

No, I mean, your hex-editing of PPC programs and the dll files... Not that you do not have a decent site.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 6:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-11-23 4:01 PM

Its not CE, the actual hardware does not accept any more than 16-bit pcmcia cards.

Okay, so I was almost right.
 Top of the page
PBWookiee Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 9:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

WOW! Awesome forum. I was doing a lot of research on hpcfactor and attitude and hpc.net. I just didn't search for the right questions I guess. Thanks all for your quick response. I will check out your site and see what I can get going. Also I will definitely reinstall 3.8 and try to reinstall the bluetooth program and the gps program after I go through your site.

Thanks again!
 Top of the page
PBWookiee Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 11:29 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok. I got the arm.zip file and unzipped the files to the /windows folder. I wasn't sure which files I needed hex or not. But I have noticed I can't overwrite the existing rom files. Are the mfc and ole files supposed to go in the program's folder? Do any of the other .dll's need to be in my program's folder? Is there a way to overwrite rom files? Also I tried to reinstall teletype software and it still says it's not a supported device. Is there any way to trick activesync to say it's a PPC 2002 machine instead of a HPC?

Thanks,

Hope you're having a happy Turkey Day!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 5:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-11-24 12:01 AM

Its not CE, the actual hardware does not accept any more than 16-bit pcmcia cards. So, no cardbus.

actually, it is CE that can't really handle cardbus. or, it couldn't. CE 5 has full cardbus support, at last!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 5:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

PBWookiee - 2005-11-24 5:29 PM

Ok. I got the arm.zip file and unzipped the files to the /windows folder. I wasn't sure which files I needed hex or not. But I have noticed I can't overwrite the existing rom files. Are the mfc and ole files supposed to go in the program's folder? Do any of the other .dll's need to be in my program's folder? Is there a way to overwrite rom files? Also I tried to reinstall teletype software and it still says it's not a supported device. Is there any way to trick activesync to say it's a PPC 2002 machine instead of a HPC?

can you answer my questions? please try to answer, as this description is still too general, so it is difficult to help with the exact problems. however i have some suggestions.
you cannot overwrite rom files but you can mask them, i.e. putting a file with the same name in ram. CE will handle it like it were in rom. if the file is being used it will not allow you to overwrite it though. in this case, you have to rename the rom file, then do a soft reset, and you can copy the new files then (and delete the overwritten one).
about mfcce and olece300, you should not copy them into Windows folder. i don't recommend it because hpc2000 has another version of mfcce300 and olece300 and those are needed by some native hpc2000 programs. if you overwrite (mask) these, you will no longer be able to run these hpc2000 programs. an easy workaround to copy mfcce and olece into the pocketpc program's (which you want to hack to run) folder where the program exe resides.
the best solution is hexediting though but that can wait for now..
about installing your teletype stuff... search for "cab" on the forum, or "cab installer" and you'll find out how to trick activesync.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 5:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2005-11-24 3:19 PM

actually, it is CE that can't really handle cardbus. or, it couldn't. CE 5 has full cardbus support, at last!

Well, it is both the hardware and the OS, so that is that.
 Top of the page
PBWookiee Page Icon Posted 2005-11-25 9:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

These questions?

cmonex - 2005-11-23 5:43 PM

what ppc programs would you like to run? not all of them will work, and yes the hack is a little more complicated sometimes.

does the teletype maps have a hpc2000 version of the software?

I would like to at least run this GPS Teletype software.

<<PDA Requirements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System: Windows CE 3.0, Windows CE.NET 4.1 or higher, Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2003, Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition, Windows Mobile 5.0 computer.

Processor Requirements: Strong Arm, XScale

Internal Memory Requirements: Minimum Software Installation:
You need 20 megs MINIMUM of total main memory free space before installing TeleType GPS.
12 MB
External Memory Requirements:
(For map installation) See Typical Map Sizes

Voice Recognition Requirements: Pocket PC with built-in microphone.

Text to Speech (Spoken Driving Instructions) Requirements: Pocket PC, Windows XP, or CE device with built-in microphone.

>>

I am searching for the .cab install posts now.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-25 2:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh well i see now you already know about cab files, just your question about tricking activesync sounded like you didn't.

without having the software, it is difficult to help with hacking, but i have a few ideas
download executabilitycheck (http://izemize.fw.hu/hpc.php), copy it in ram on your jornada, run it and select the teletype EXE (as you already installed teletype from a cab file), then please copy the results here.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10