x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-11-25 10:57 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Installing fonts on my Jornada 720 is easy enough, but I have yet to find a way to delete them after they are installed. I recently attempted (as an experiment) to install the latest version of Microsoft Reader. I wasn't able to get it working, so I uninstalled it. It left behind a half meg of font files in the Windows directory and any attempt to delete them produces a file in use type error. Any ideas?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-25 11:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Try checking if Reader is completely uninstalled...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-26 12:49 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Try to find out exactly which ones are in RAM. As for fonts...the font directory?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-26 1:57 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-11-26 4:57 AM

Installing fonts on my Jornada 720 is easy enough, but I have yet to find a way to delete them after they are installed. I recently attempted (as an experiment) to install the latest version of Microsoft Reader. I wasn't able to get it working, so I uninstalled it. It left behind a half meg of font files in the Windows directory and any attempt to delete them produces a file in use type error. Any ideas?

yeah, just rename the files instead of deleting them and do a soft reset. then delete them. this usually works
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-11-26 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have the older version of MS Reader still installed, but uninstalled the newer version. The newer version left behind the following files in the windows directory:

bkdings.ttf
frutbd.ttf
frutiger.ttf
frutit.ttf

I can rename these files, but even after a soft reset, cannot delete them. The original MS Reader created these same files as well, but placed them in the \windows\fonts directory, where they still reside. I think it is pretty silly to have 2 copies of the same files sitting in ram...

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-26 7:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, you could try a hard-reset, however this will erase all of your data, however, it is the only way to know you deleted all of the extra files. You could back-up your data using a program designed with that... And then restore the data..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-26 7:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-11-27 12:26 AM

I have the older version of MS Reader still installed, but uninstalled the newer version. The newer version left behind the following files in the windows directory:

bkdings.ttf
frutbd.ttf
frutiger.ttf
frutit.ttf

I can rename these files, but even after a soft reset, cannot delete them. The original MS Reader created these same files as well, but placed them in the \windows\fonts directory, where they still reside. I think it is pretty silly to have 2 copies of the same files sitting in ram...

oh maybe it is some kind of a ram "corruption"... sometimes that happens.. tenjeangosi seems to be right
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-11-26 8:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The problem with doing a restore is that restores using the built in hp backup utility are "additive" restores. When you hard reset, you go back to how the unit was when it left the factory. The restore procedure then copies and overwrites existing files, but it doesn't recognize that some files you might want outright deleted. I always end up with a couple megs of garbage files (like all the dial-up isp profiles, for instance) that I need to delete after doing a hard reset.

I want a backup utility that takes true images, not just the additive overwrite that the built in utility performs.

Still working on the font issue with no luck...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-27 12:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

The hard reset is one option. By backup, you could just backup your files and not your programs. However, you could install your programs to a CF..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 11