x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

source code for vga-out pc card driver

quiche Page Icon Posted 2005-11-27 11:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I've determined the only way I can get the Colorgraphics Voyager vga-out pcmcia card to work on my Hitachi Eplate, Wince 2.11, HPC Pro, sh4 - is to someone compile the software for myself. I searched the internet and I could find only one site that has a source code for the driver for this card.

This is what the site says:

A driver for the following PCMCIA cards...
* Hewlett Packards HP VGA Out (Model F1252A)
* Colorgraphics Voyager VGA
* Tested running under a Compaq IPAQ Pocket PC running Linux
*/
/* $XFree86: xc/programs/Xserver/hw/tinyx/pcmcia/pcmcia.c,v 1.1tsi Exp $ */
/*
* Copyright (c) 2004 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
* All rights reserved.

------------------------------------------------

It says Linux - but would it be the same source code that I can use to compile for the sh4 processor working on Windows CE?

Caveat - I know nothing about developing software or a hardware driver. I'm starting from scratch here. Step by step.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-28 12:09 AM
#
H/PC Elite

The driver architecture under X window and under Windows CE are entirely different beasts. maybe you can get some info about the drivers memory addresses / registers, but i won't think you'll be able to use the same code.
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Matrixcore.

I'm about to give up here. I combed the internet several times. I tried downloading and looking at the cab files for drivers for other like cards - and could find none for SH4 and this source code I did find, was the only one I found for the card.

I guess because the only other popular device that was made with SH4 processor, the Compaq Aero 8000, came with a vga-out port - no one really saw a necessity to provide for SH4 for their cards. I even tried the HP card driver - no luck, that was made for SH3.

So I'm out of luck.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-30 7:53 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Have you contacted colurgraphic about the possibility they have a beta sh4 sitting about / they'll release the source to you / compile it themselves.
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2005-11-30 5:59 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - I did contact Colorgraphics asking them for SH4. They soon mailed me back and simply said they no longer supported this card.

I guess I could try writing them again and ask for the source code. Do companies usually give out the source codes?

But I think I'm going to have to learn how to compile it myself. I did download the kits that are listed on this site. But have had a problem setting them up.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-30 7:46 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

The chances of getting the source code is directly opposite of how much you want it.

-In other words, the chances of you ever getting source code from a company that will not even give you a compiled version that they already have is about 1 in 100,000.
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2005-11-30 8:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

What I don't get is since they discontinue so many of these handheld products - why not just put the source code out there in the public domain? Are they afraid of liability issues?
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-30 9:56 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sometimes companies won't publish the source
a) in order to have some "competitive advantage" over their competitors
b) because some technology inside their product is licensed from other party, and they're bound by a NDA
c) just because they're damn greedy
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9