x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New/better method to translate the Sigmarion3 into English!

1 2 3 4
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 1:18 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hello folks. I'm making this post to let you guys know that I have been experimenting with a new translation method for the Sigmaion3 and have found that I can translate most if not all of the Sigmarion3's Japanese user interface into English. By using this method, I have managed to translate much more of the Sigmarion3's Japanese UI into English (or any other language) than some have previously thought possible. In my opinion, this is a much better way to translate this device than simply shadowing an English copy of the binary you wish to be translated in RAM. I always found this to be very inefficient and frankly...a waste of RAM. With this method, the entire user interface including all standard CE ROM applications can be translated with only about 900kb or less of overhead. This is far better than simply shadowing half of the ROM files into RAM just to get an English OS! The main shell components alone(explorer.exe, ceshell.dll) are roughly 400kb! With this method I should be able to translate most if not all of the Microsoft portions of the UI and use very little space to boot! Please be aware that I do not actually own a Sigmarion3, so I can't test this myself. Monica has been kind enough to test this for me on her device and it has worked flawlessly for her aside from a few minor glitches related to using newer CE 4.2 resources with CE 4.1 applications.. I have no doubt that this method will work flawlessly once CE 4.1 versions are used... In the meantime, Monica will post a few screenshots for you to drool over for those that are interested. In a few days, when I get all the bugs worked out, I will upload the files needed for this hack along with some instructions(perhaps even a cab for easy installation ) Right now I'm very tired and need sleep desperately! I don't think you guys want your WinCE Explorer to look like the bastard child of Pocket IE, IE6 CE, and the Explorer shell anyway
Cheers!

Edited by TFGBD 2005-11-29 1:35 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 1:25 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well.. a screenshot

(image001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image001.jpg (60KB - 16 downloads)
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 1:32 AM
#
H/PC Elite

only one word

IMPRESSIVE

i just want to know what's needed and how's it done??
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 1:36 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

he's simply using the WinCE MUI (Multilingual User Interface), creating it with Platform Builder (4.2 currently)

i can't wait for him to install the 4.1 PB!!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 11:13 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok now with ce.net 4.1 mui files it is much better. cool. i'll post screenshots later.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 1:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2005-11-28 11:25 PM

well.. a screenshot

I love the screenshot ... Now maybe I could look into a SigIII without worrying about worrying about the difference in language..
 Top of the page
Rabbit@Net
Rabbit@Net Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 4:42 PM
#
Hi guys,

that are really good news! But you missed some interesting point:
HOW DO I THAT???

Good someone here please tell the not knowing folk how to make this little wonder happen?

Thanks!!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 5:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rabbit@Net - 2005-12-03 10:42 PM

Hi guys,

that are really good news! But you missed some interesting point:
HOW DO I THAT???

Good someone here please tell the not knowing folk how to make this little wonder happen?

Thanks!!!

don't worry... when we created the topic the project was still in beta, but since then it is near to completion... i can post the files somewhere soon.

oh and when i upload the files and you try them, please post any bugs, and TFGBD will fix them.

there's one thing you need to do manually for now: to fix the start menu items, you'll have to copy the .lnk files to the right (now english) dirs... otherwise the start menu submenus will be empty

mm, and probably we shouldn't use mui files for the updates, for example ms ts client or solitaire, that means saving space. btw, msn messenger has successfully been translated with the mui files at last!

btw, a little off, but as this is you rabbit@net... can you send me the *working* skype for sigmarion? i still can't figure out that one. thanks

(image001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image001.jpg (43KB - 9 downloads)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 9:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok a small bug sorted out. after ditching the unnecessary files we'll make a cab installer and put that online.

fyi, we can also skin the entire OS with this method... anyone want a unique skin on his sig3? or on another ce.net hpc!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 10:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh my goodness. That is incredible.

The only obstacle to my purchasing a Sig III is being removed.

note to self: Add Sig III to wish list.......

PS. Just when I thought I was done buying new gadgets to learn. On my

Edited by wallythacker 2005-12-04 10:17 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 11:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-05 4:14 AM

Oh my goodness. That is incredible.

The only obstacle to my purchasing a Sig III is being removed.

note to self: Add Sig III to wish list.......

PS. Just when I thought I was done buying new gadgets to learn. On my

oh i feel guilty that we created this thread.

now you only have to be ready to fiddle a little with ce.net (especially if you want to use your pocketpc apps) and you can go buy a sig3 on conics.net. they just got a 50$ discount, at least it seems the price is lower now, 449$. with 30 days of warranty... it is usually 400$ secondhand, so... (well the ones on conics aren't new either)

then i would be interested in a comparison between sig3 and intermec 6651...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 2:51 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

This is simply excellent news! Well done to all involved!

TFGDB/Cmonex, please let me know how I can help. I was just in the process of translating the "ubersetzen" application, but that seems a little redundant now!
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 3:09 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

cmonex - 2005-12-05 9:47 AM

ok a small bug sorted out. after ditching the unnecessary files we'll make a cab installer and put that online.

fyi, we can also skin the entire OS with this method... anyone want a unique skin on his sig3? or on another ce.net hpc!

if possible, i would like to a Chinese set of translated files. For Japanese Ce.net, most Chinese will not find it much difficult.

the Korean language on some Samsung Ce.net devices is very difficult for Chinese. This makes a big barrier.

So i would like to turn some Korean Ce.net devices into Chinese versions.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 5:02 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

If you want a hand with the CAB stuff, just shout. But I guess someone whose adept at using PB should be fine with that.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

iamjoe - 2005-12-05 9:09 AM

if possible, i would like to a Chinese set of translated files. For Japanese Ce.net, most Chinese will not find it much difficult.

the Korean language on some Samsung Ce.net devices is very difficult for Chinese. This makes a big barrier.

So i would like to turn some Korean Ce.net devices into Chinese versions.

hmm, i'll ask if it is possible.

if it is, send me filelists about the rom of the korean devices or upload them here.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.304 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 34