x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NO! IT CANT BE! Broken Jornada 680

chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 11:23 AM
#
My Jornada is refusing to switch on!

This morning i was using it normally off the mains, while the battery recharged (i had used it down to about 20% yesterday). It worked fine. I used it in the car while i was given a life to school, it worked fine. I put it in my pocket and walked to school (about 25 seconds from where i was dropped off). When i took it out it wouldn't work! Its not hit anything, and theres nothing in my pocket that could have damaged it. The battery was fully charged, and the green light comes on when i plug in the charger.

Theres no visible signs of 'onness' - no buzzing, no heat (as in none), no change to the screen (stays off)

Whats wrong? Please help...

Edited by chazco 2005-11-29 11:25 AM
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 1:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

soft reset, try to seat it in the cradle, to see if you can activesync and backup your data, then hard reset. if it's not fixed, try to open the case and check the mainboard connections (keyboard and screen)
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 1:43 PM
#
I dont have a cradle

I tried to connect with the serial wire, but windows wont detect it. Tried a hard-reset, nothing.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Try to re-seat the ram/rom module.....
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 4:01 PM
#
It must be a virus...
This is **exactly** what happened to me yesterday evening on my 680. And I hadn't used the Jornada at all since Sunday morning.
When I arrived home I wanted to test the calibration trick we discussed about yesterday. I opened the Jornada... no sign of life.
Ok, maybe the battery was discarged. I put it on its cradle, connected the unit to the mains... nothing again. I have tried to charge it for hours, but it doesn't give any sign of life. I think I'll open it tomorrow (if I have time). I can share some info, if you wish.

Good luck!
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 4:08 PM
#
I dont see how it can be a virus though. Its impossible to damage the ROM with software, and a hard-reset emptys the RAM. Theres nowhere left a virus could hide.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-11-29 4:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

He wasn't saying it was a virus causing your problem, he was saying that the problem must be contagious because he too had problems.

Definitely sounds like some hardware problem. I'd pull the battery and the backup battery for an hour or so and reinsert them and see what happens...

Rich
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2005-11-30 4:26 PM
#
Of course I was just kidding about the virus.

I suggest you to remove the keyboard and try to reset the RAM/ROM module.
Just pulling it out and pushing back on place, I have managed to revive my Jornada 680. I have still the keyboard problem, but that is another problem (and another thread too).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.158 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 11