x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I just got a Branium Wibook $99 BIN CE.net 4.2

1 2 3 4 5 6
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-12-15 5:14 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Here are some additional thoughts on the Wibook:

-The problems with banding/shadows can be greatly reduced by increasing the contrast a bit and decreasing the brightness.

-I have managed to lock up the WiBook quite a few times while experimenting. Holding down the power button for a couple seconds to induce a soft reset doesn't seem to work in these cases. I am not really sure if this induces a "true" soft reset. I think it is a trigger to execute a soft reset application that I found in the windows directory. I had to hard reset my Wibook a dozen times or so in the last few days. I have installed all my apps to a CF card, created a folder with all my shortcuts in it, and included copies of all the driver installers on the card. It doesn't take long to restore, but it is still a pain. Anyone have a source for this Bsquare Backup program?

-Renaming shortcuts on the desktop is a pain. If you try to rename them, they are no longer recognized as shortcuts. I was able to rename them by using total commander, though.

-I benchmarked the WiBook against my Jornada using the BMQ benchmark application. The Jornada had an overall score of 376, while the supposedly more powerful WiBook only scored around 250. This thing is supposed to have a 400+ mhz X-Scale, right? Is there any way to confirm what speed the proc is running at? I haven't found any indication of the CPU speed outside of referenced specs.

-Anyone have a GAPI profile that works using the wincesoft.de 3rd party GAPI implementation? I haven't found one that works and most of the ones I try end up locking up the box. I would really like to get accelerated video working.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-15 9:36 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Ok, i think we know that its huge....

On the other hand, I like to think of it as my new $99 instant on laptop w/touch screen....with the exception of it running CE.net.....So you get the best of both worlds...but then again i allways perfer the mouse driven hpc's.....So i'm right @ home....any one that runs a larger subnote hpc as a primary, would feel right @ home.....
if your use to a jornada or mobile pro. and want to keep it in that size range, The Wibook is not for you....if you want a normal looking Sqaure hpc, its not for you....
If you dont mind the diffrent look, a larger size, and 3-4lb wieght...well its a good choice....its Pluses are CE.net 4.2, USB host, Built in ethernet, built in Stereo speakers and a array of other as well......
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-15 9:41 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Wich Gapi Settings are you refering to...Wich system to use?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-15 7:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-12-15 3:47 AM

Here are some updates:

- You can get rid of a lot of the banding/shadowing by increasing the contrast and decreasing the brightness.
-I am hanging my WiBook quite a lot while experimenting. Usually this sort of hang leaves the "hold the power button down for a few seconds" method of soft resetting inoperable. Any other ideas as to how to achieve a soft reset (which I don't believe is a true soft reset)? I have had to hard reset my WiBook about a dozen times now and it isn't making me happy. I am storing all my applications, a folder containing shortcuts to all applications and read only copies of the install files for my wifi driver on a CF slot. I still have to go in and reconfigure a number of applications every time I hard reset, though.
-Anyone find a setting for the wincesoft.de GAPI? I would really like to get accelerated video going for gaming and video playback.
-The BMQ Benchmark application is turning in a combined score of ~250 for my Wibook. My Jornada gets 376. For a 400+ mhz Xscale, this device sure seems to be a slug. Has anyone found a way to verify the processor speed? I don't see it indicated anywhere.

hrm, if i receive mine i'll try to help with thhese.

until that..
you need to ask wincesoft to develop a setting specifically for the wibook.

bmq: well the results depend on a lot of other things other than the CPU. don't worry the 900C and the netbook scores much much better.
can you give me the score details apart from the overall score? thanks

btw why don't you think that method is a true soft reset? if the device restarts just like your jornada and only unsaved data gets lost it is a real soft reset.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-12-15 8:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Here are some more detailed benchmarks of the WiBook using BMQ:

Integer: 447
Float: 441
Draw: 94
Window: 101
Memory:511

I sent a message to the developers of GAPI to see if we could get the WiBook supported. Here is what they replied:

this device has a color depth of 8bit (256 colors). Most (99%) of the GAPI
applications need a color depth of 16bit (65536 colors).
Currently only the betaplayer supports this.
I have written a framebuffer scanner to find the correct physical address,
but this supports also only 16bit devices.

Best regards,
Frank

Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 9:00 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

8bit my butt ...you can plainly see it's 16bit color....they obviuosly are taking the word fine web resorce's that list it as 256colors....Wich for the most part have been wrong !

By the Way, the main board is a Intrinsyc cerfboard PXA250
and the display is some kind of sanyo.....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 11:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-12-16 2:16 AM

Here are some more detailed benchmarks of the WiBook using BMQ:

Integer: 447
Float: 441
Draw: 94
Window: 101
Memory:511

completely unrealistic.
float 441???
no way.
can you repeat the benchmarking?
about draw and window and memory, that may be right, poor results for sure though.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 11:28 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-12-15 11:14 AM
Is there any way to confirm what speed the proc is running at? I haven't found any indication of the CPU speed outside of referenced specs.

maybe if you use an overclocker, make sure you use a pxa250 one, maybe the bsquare's will work. that should tell you the current speed too.

(or is it pxa255?)
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 12:56 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The Float was a typo. It should read just 44.

The official specs do list the display as 256 colors. Can you find any indication to the contrary besides what you think you see?

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 1:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

test it on a pic to see if its 65k or 256 colours, easy to see the difference probably

hmm integer is very very low for an xscale, i'd still ask you to rerun bmq.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 1:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rocketman - 2005-12-16 9:56 AM
The official specs do list the display as 256 colors. Can you find any indication to the contrary besides what you think you see?

Well besides looking @ the screen and plainly seeing that it is, in pictures and internet explorer, you can look in the regristry were it tells you as well.....
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-17 12:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

cmonex - 2005-12-16 10:29 AM
hmm integer is very very low for an xscale, i'd still ask you to rerun bmq.

I ran BMQ and im avraging a total of 255 myself.....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 8:37 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey thcrw, i have added you to my msn list as i've got a few questions (just received wibook, impressively fast shipping!!)
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 10:55 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

allrighty sounds good....

added you myself..
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have been emailing back and forth with Frank over at wincesoft.de (the makers of GAPI) and have been able to confirm via the registry and a diagnostic tool that the screen/driver is indeed 16 bit, so we may see a new version of GAPI with support for the Branium Wibook!
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10