x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I just bought a ....WTH???

1 2 3
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering - 2005-12-04 1:57 AM

I thought they came with a 16 Mhz Dragonball, but I could be wrong.

don't worry you're probably right
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 10:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh, no.. I think it is a 16 MHZ as Yoldering said.. Yes, I confused them
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 11:57 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

wallythacker - 2005-12-02 2:44 PM

CE machines will almost run on a couple oranges and some wire

Haha, oranges. But I think limes might be a bit more effective. All messy stuff.

PS. I have to give Palm credit. For a 33mhz machine my W is pretty zippy with the everyday stuff. Makes me wonder why some 206mhz ARM machines take *forever* to open a menu or window.

Why are they so slow? Got to blame Microsoft and CE on that one.

(What?! I am still annoyed that downloads on CE made everything lag for minutes, while on Linux I can have a download going as fast as my connection allows, and still do other things normally...)

EDIT: Many palm os devices had 33mhz dragonball processors. The older ones such as the II and III series had 16. What kind of a processor is the dragonball, anyways?

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-12-04 12:13 AM
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 12:50 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yoldering - 2005-12-03 8:12 PM

On a separate note… Motorola spun off their Semi-conductor business to Freescale. However, Freescale is still doing great business with flash memory IC devices. I used to work for Motorola Automotive Communications and Electronic Sector. We built engine controllers that used integrated circuits that we flashed on site with the code we needed. I also worked for Semiconductor products sector, years before the spin off. Motorola seems to be scaling down and getting rid of a lot of the production sectors. I got tired of the constant threat of lay offs and went to another company.

Yep, Motorola would rather make end-user products like phones and stuff now. Better money in it I guess.....
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 1:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Right from the manual. 33mhz Dragonball.

320x320 16 bit screen also. Not transflective but very clear and easy to read even in crappy light conditions.

I dithered over keeping it for a couple days then said, "what the heck, keep it, use it, have some fun, learn something new."

Now, like every other gadget I stumble across my friends and family all want a W after I showed them what it could do.

Most people really *need* a simple decent organiser for PIM. Most cheap phones I've seen don't cut it. ( I hate using the number pad for text input, what a pain....)

So I'm off to the warehouse tomorrow to scrounge some more W's. Wish me luck. Maybe I'll get another salted box.......Maybe I can get that Iriver I've been keen on for cheap.

FWIW, someone salted a cordless phone box with a 3mp digital camera. Needless to say, the phone buyer (another friend) was more than happy. He's still weighing the moral consequences. Should he or shouldn't he?? Glad it's not me.

And yep, I'm thrilled about the wifi card. Haven't had time yet to try it on the Palm or my E200, and I don't have any other hpcs with SD. Hmmm. My Pentax has a SD slot. LOL
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 2:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2005-12-03 1:37 PM

wallythacker - 2005-12-02 11:44 PM

PS. I have to give Palm credit. For a 33mhz machine my W is pretty zippy with the everyday stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's closer to 200 MHz.

I'm pretty wrong, too. 33 MHz all right. I just checked it out. I must've been thinking of a newer version of the Tungsten.

That does change my opinion of the deal slightly, but with the features and the little bonus, it's still a pretty good deal. But if it's like my m500s, it'll take a long time to access the memory card app launcher screen. (Mine takes so long that it shuts off as soon as that screen appears. But I haven't tried a newer high-speed card in it yet. I had always thought that not having to create shortcuts, including for apps stored in memory cards, was an advantage, until I started having that experience.)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 5:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-12-03 8:57 PM

wallythacker - 2005-12-02 2:44 PM

CE machines will almost run on a couple oranges and some wire

Haha, oranges. But I think limes might be a bit more effective. All messy stuff.

Maybe he'd need those for his Coronas.

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-12-03 8:57 PM

EDIT: Many palm os devices had 33mhz dragonball processors. The older ones such as the II and III series had 16. What kind of a processor is the dragonball, anyways?

Didn't we have this conversation in another thread?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 11:44 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS7995142069.html It is old, but so is the dragonball.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 8:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ugh, I must learn to stay away from that warehouse.

What now? Found a bt card in the bottom of a box for $10, a really nice folding keyboard (old Targus , remember them, fold out 4 times into a beautiful "real" comfortable keybaord) for $5. A leather Palm wallet for $3 and a three pack of nifty metal stylii for $5. A 128mb SD card for the Palm for $5.

I dun understand the warehouse. They want $50 for older Palm cradles and in the same bin are factory sealed Zire 21s for $25. I missed a 31 for $60. Some lucky shnook was digging in the right side of a wire bin and found it before me.

Are T2's worth $80? I saw several of those.

Not a single ppc though. I know the Source sells them but I suspect they were all scooped the night of the employee sale. The employees have first crack at the goods early on and they get a nice discount on top of the sale price. This is the first time in many years that there were more latops than the employees could buy. Some nice Acers for $500US.
I'm tempted .....

But since my desktop is now 5 feet away in my livingroom why would I want to bother with a laptop? I have my hpcs.

Anyway, I also grabbed some more $5 webcams for stocking stuffers and other little things.

Dam*, I'm gonna be broke if I keep going there.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 9:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Why are they so slow? Got to blame Microsoft and CE on that one.

I think it might have to do with the fact that CE (for H/PC) uses more memory than Palm OS because CE uses a more refined GUI than the simple interface of Palm OS..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 6:35 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hrm, wallythacker, yes best to stay away from that warehouse. not all the deals you listed now are that good. IMO.
the bt card and the targus and the wallet looks ok though. maybe the T2's too.
don't worry that you missed the zire31, it wasn't worth more than that 60$ anyway.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 6:38 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2005-12-04 8:28 AM
I'm pretty wrong, too. 33 MHz all right. I just checked it out. I must've been thinking of a newer version of the Tungsten.

I had always thought that not having to create shortcuts, including for apps stored in memory cards, was an advantage, until I started having that experience.)

geez so it is palmos 4.1.
but the wifi card was worth it!!!
though i'm afraid it has only palm drivers.. no CE driver probably

lol what does this mean about the memory card i never even tried as i knew it was going to be horrible!
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10