x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I just bought a ....WTH???

1 2 3
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-02 6:09 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2005-12-01 11:29 PM

and i am the biggest gadget collector...

14 HPC's (11 here, 3 on their way, and probably 3 more)

I'm not even gonna try to catch up with you, cmonex. Maybe I could just get one of wally's 6651s and then I'd be about done.
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-12-02 10:14 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

wallythacker - 2005-12-02 4:14 AM

Admittedly, I got lucky again with the wifi card bonus. I'm sorry the sales guy didn't salt the box with a big Sd card while he was prepping it for himself.

When I got my Fuji A340 for $75US it had a new 256mb XCard in the box, sales guy saw it and said "it's your lucky day." The box came from a locked cabinet.

But btrimmers Kodak deal is incredible. IIRC, a Zeiss lens to boot. So nice to have.

Oh well, my A340 was so cheap it'll live in my pocket or something like that. You know how you're always wishing you had a camera for that special moment....

Hey, brtimmer, if you get that 20gb mini DV even cheaper then decide you don't want it .....

It's actually Schneider-Kreuznach optics, not Zeiss. Still a good set of optics, though.

If I can get them to drop the miniDV to $100, I'll let ya know.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-02 11:13 AM
#
H/PC Elder

My bad, I knew that but brain wouldn't make fingers type properly. I used Schneider enlarging lenses exclusively when I had a darkroom. IMO, nothing else came even close, especially for large format, large enlargements. And I tried Nikon and er, Minolta? and one other brand.

Schneiders were absolutely amazing.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-02 2:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2005-12-02 12:09 PM

I'm not even gonna try to catch up with you, cmonex. Maybe I could just get one of wally's 6651s and then I'd be about done.

lol it is not like it is a competition...

oh, 6651... i won't buy one ... at least not until i become very rich 250-300$ is too much to just have a nice hpc (though one of the nicest, that's for sure)
and i'm afraid you can't buy it from wallythacker but i saw there's another one on hpcbay now!!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-12-02 4:07 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

CE Geek - 2005-12-02 5:09 AM

I just noticed a new thread in HPCbay that has a 6651 for sale.
Edit: I just saw that Cmonex already told you about it.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-12-02 4:10 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-02 5:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, some of my friends collect stamps. Others collect Royal Doulton (and pay massively for it). My good friend pays >$100 to fill his truck with gas and what does he have to show for it?

The few dollars we spend on our devices seems trivial in comparison to what other hobbies cost. Especially hobbies like I mentioned, where you can't even do anything with the goods except look at them. Ok, to each their own.

When society goes to h*ll in a handbasket and falls apart and there's no electricty at least I'll have something to occupy my time. (Solar panels in case you're wondering . CE machines will almost run on a couple oranges and some wire

Monica, you did manage to afford a Sig III, so perhaps there's a 6651 in your future. There mght be a Sig III in mine. I hope so. The more the merrier!

I honestly believe we have the coolest collectibles going and there's always room for another hpc in my house !

PS. I have to give Palm credit. For a 33mhz machine my W is pretty zippy with the everyday stuff. Makes me wonder why some 206mhz ARM machines take *forever* to open a menu or window.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-12-02 5:48 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-02 6:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering - 2005-12-02 1:07 PM

I just noticed a new thread in HPCbay that has a 6651 for sale.
Edit: I just saw that Cmonex already told you about it.

Yeah, I saw that one. But $300 is a bit up there for me - and it looks like it needs a little help. I'm waiting for another deal on eBay like the one I just missed ($200).
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-02 7:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2005-12-02 12:34 PM

Gosh cmonex... I have 3 gadgets, 2 on their way...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 7:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-02 11:44 PM

Monica, you did manage to afford a Sig III, so perhaps there's a 6651 in your future. There mght be a Sig III in mine. I hope so. The more the merrier!

I honestly believe we have the coolest collectibles going and there's always room for another hpc in my house !

PS. I have to give Palm credit. For a 33mhz machine my W is pretty zippy with the everyday stuff. Makes me wonder why some 206mhz ARM machines take *forever* to open a menu or window.

well i do use the sig3 every day, so that justified spending so much on it.
though the 6651 may win my heart too (in the sense that i would use it often enough).. and then i can't resist, that's for sure!

i agree, if we have to collect something, hpc's are a good idea

is it 33 mhz? oh i thought it was a palmos 5 device,.... well then 75$ is just right, but considering you got the sd wifi with it, it was a very good deal.
if it has 160x160 pixels then it is no wonder it's zippy if it is hi-res (320x320), then the reason (and generally too) is that palmos isn't multitasking, especially not palmos 4 (5 can do it to some extent). so it is easy for it to be fast... of course probably windows ce could be coded better as well. (i was a psion user too so i know what i'm talking about here )
so eventually it depends on the screen resolution many times, and on the OS.

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-03 7:24 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 4:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2005-12-03 4:16 AM

wallythacker - 2005-12-02 11:44 PM

is it 33 mhz? oh i thought it was a palmos 5 device,....

I'm pretty sure it's closer to 200 MHz. Even my Zire 31 is that fast. (And I believe the Tungsten has an ARM processor; I know my Zire does.) (Heck, my m500s are 33 MHz.)

Edited by CE Geek 2005-12-03 4:46 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 6:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Woh, Palms with an ARM processor, my Palm IIIxe has a 75 MHZ DragonBall processor . Sadly, I rarely ever use my Palm... I like CE better...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 7:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2005-12-04 12:44 AM

Woh, Palms with an ARM processor, my Palm IIIxe has a 75 MHZ DragonBall processor . Sadly, I rarely ever use my Palm... I like CE better...

you sure the palm is the 75 Mhz one and not your compaq?
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 7:33 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yeah, I noticed the newer Palm devices were now using Xscale CPU's instead of the old Motorola Dragonball line. Particularly the color devices, and the new Palm with built-in 4GB Microdrive. Poor Motorola.....Intel killing their CPU lines one by one....
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 7:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

cmonex - 2005-12-03 6:27 PM

tenjeangosi - 2005-12-04 12:44 AM

you sure the palm is the 75 Mhz one and not your compaq?

I thought they came with a 16 Mhz Dragonball, but I could be wrong.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 8:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

btrimmer - 2005-12-03 6:33 PM

Yeah, I noticed the newer Palm devices were now using Xscale CPU's instead of the old Motorola Dragonball line. Particularly the color devices, and the new Palm with built-in 4GB Microdrive. Poor Motorola.....Intel killing their CPU lines one by one....

On a separate note… Motorola spun off their Semi-conductor business to Freescale. However, Freescale is still doing great business with flash memory IC devices. I used to work for Motorola Automotive Communications and Electronic Sector. We built engine controllers that used integrated circuits that we flashed on site with the code we needed. I also worked for Semiconductor products sector, years before the spin off. Motorola seems to be scaling down and getting rid of a lot of the production sectors. I got tired of the constant threat of lay offs and went to another company.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9