x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Dreamwriter IT lives on

Graham Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 2:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just discovered these things, and I bought one out of fascination and a need to replace my creaky 1994 vintage Winbook with something else for word processing and casual internet use. For $21.03 on Ebay, this seemed to be the ticket!

I do need two things, though.

First, can anyone tell me what the "clicking device" keys are on the keyboard so that I can right click and left click while using the touchpad? I'm thinking it may be th F1 and F2 keys because of their location right by the touchpad but I have not been able to make them work. The notebook works great with a plugged-in PS2 mouse, but that's not what I want to do.

Second, does anyone know where I can get a download or a photocopy of the manual for a Dreamwriter IT?

Thanks!
Graham
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I think you can do what every CE device does, Alt + tap (i know there's no touchscreen, so in this case it'll be Alt + Click).

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 2:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Under Windows CE a 'right click' is an ALT + Tap/Click.

I do not have any manuals or specific downloads for the DW in the library, sorry. If you find something, please send it along and I'll get it added.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 5:52 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

There is a downloadable manual from this site, but you have to register.
http://www.systemgroup.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=246
 Top of the page
exscentric Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 8:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I picked one up for 7 a few months ago. I saw, on Ebay, a cart and 30 or so of the units that was at 300 plus last I saw it

Not sure what I am going to do with it, but it worked after replacing a bad cell in the battery.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 8:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

They are just fun to play with.
 Top of the page
Graham Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 11:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks!
This is my first CE device, and I did NOT know that!

So, what's a left click?

Thanks so much!

Graham (who obviously has a huge amount to learn about these quirkly but delightful machines!)
 Top of the page
Graham Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 11:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

matrixcore - 2005-12-04 2:52 PM

I think you can do what every CE device does, Alt + tap (i know there's no touchscreen, so in this case it'll be Alt + Click).

Hope this helps

(Sorry! I forgot to quote you in my reply, which is posted below. I have not dealt with CE machines before, so I didn't know about the ALT-Touch for right click. What's left click?)
Thanks
Graham
 Top of the page
Graham Page Icon Posted 2005-12-04 11:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yoldering - 2005-12-04 5:52 PM

There is a downloadable manual from this site, but you have to register.
http://www.systemgroup.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=246

Seems to be a manual for a "Dreamwriter" software package of some kind that generates financial reports. Did you find something different there?
Thanks!
 Top of the page
Graham Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 11:07 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Graham - 2005-12-04 2:06 PM

I just discovered these things, and I bought one out of fascination and a need to replace my creaky 1994 vintage Winbook with something else for word processing and casual internet use. For $21.03 on Ebay, this seemed to be the ticket!

I do need two things, though.

First, can anyone tell me what the "clicking device" keys are on the keyboard so that I can right click and left click while using the touchpad? I'm thinking it may be th F1 and F2 keys because of their location right by the touchpad but I have not been able to make them work. The notebook works great with a plugged-in PS2 mouse, but that's not what I want to do.

Second, does anyone know where I can get a download or a photocopy of the manual for a Dreamwriter IT?

Thanks!
Graham

Well, thanks to the kind advice I got here, I am maneuvering around with the "right click" windows CE trick, and also found a tutorial with the Windows CE commands, which is useful.

For those of you who are fooling with one of these, I also am now able to use the double-tap on the touchpad as "left click," and it seems to work pretty well!

Yay!

Now, if I could just figure out how to tilt the screen a little so I can see it while the thing is in my lap! It was built for 8 year olds, not someone 50 years older!

By the way, has anyone adapted a commonly available 7.2 v RC battery for this? I've noticed that they have just two leads- red and green, and not the four that come out of the battery (dead) that came with this. I'm assuming that the three black leads are all the (-) side of the batteries and the (+ is the positive, but I don't want to do something unfortunate and fry my $21.03 wonder!

Thanks!
Graham
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 17