x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is this thing normal on the bSquare PHH?

Slaine Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 8:51 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, good afternoon.

I just connect my PHH to my computer at work, after not using it for the whole weekend, and as soon as I connected it starts from Flash memory.....this happened already in the past once, about 3 weeks ago, but I thought it was normal because it run out of battery....is this going to happen everytime the PHH´s battery dries out? is goint to make a hard reset when the battery goes flat? this is quite annoying, I have changed the appearance of my PHH a little bit, and if I have to do it everytime the battery is empty is going to drive me nuts
Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks for the info
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 10:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Do you have some sort of Backup Battery to use. Most H/PCs have a backup battery slot for if the main batteries go dead. The backup battery stores your data...
 Top of the page
Slaine Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 11:12 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, well I dont know if this device has any backup battery, but it is a pain in the ass, I have to reinstall all the software again, GAPI, Prymer, change the registry entries, change the order in programs....everything not happy....
 Top of the page
skyfox01_99 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 11:16 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

The PHH doesn't have a battery backup. This happens with ALL hpcs and pocket pcs. Data is stored in SDRAM which needs to be constantly refreshed (hence the 'Dynamic' in Syncronous Dynamic RAM). When the battery dies the SDRAM is completely wiped.
One way to overcome this is to create an ActiveSync backup on the desktop machine (the phh's built-in backup program just doesn't cut it in this case) and just restore that when the battery dies. You can store documents in the "Internal Disk" folder on the PHH and they won't be lost after a hard reset because they are stored in the Flash ROM.
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 11:22 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Slaine - 2005-12-05 11:12 PM

Hi, well I dont know if this device has any backup battery, but it is a pain in the ass, I have to reinstall all the software again, GAPI, Prymer, change the registry entries, change the order in programs....everything not happy....

open the Run Box, Type in Bfile. Bsquare's own backup utility will creat a sele-extracting backup file in the internal disk. U are then all set and done.

BUt, i doubt this Bsquare appz will back up all the stuff in PHH, especially some important system files.

As i used a lot its HPC version of the backup program on HPC Pro machines, it always fails to back up my newly added wince.nls files on the machine.

I seriously doubt that the version on Bsquare PHH is the same as the old HPC version as Bsquare long ago discontinued its consumer HPC software, namely the Buseful pack.

U know, ce.net can well run most HPC Pro software under the same CPU type.

So i guess Bsquare dig out some of its old and old software from its basement and repackage them into the PHH.

Who knows?
 Top of the page
Slaine Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 11:45 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

skyfox01_99

So, if I install the software in the internal disk, say Prymer, it wont be wiped once the battery goes flat? and if you could explain me a bit how to do the backup thing I´d really appreciate it, thanks

Top of the page
Marly Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 12:05 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just before the battery goes flat on the bsquare, I thought all the data was automatically backed up using bFile to the internal disk? The battery went flat on mine and after a re-charge there was an option to restore the data as soon as I turned the machine back on again.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 1:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Marly - 2005-12-05 6:05 PM

Just before the battery goes flat on the bsquare, I thought all the data was automatically backed up using bFile to the internal disk? The battery went flat on mine and after a re-charge there was an option to restore the data as soon as I turned the machine back on again.

mhmm usually it does back up to the flash... though it failed once on my first unit.. that unit couldn't suspend so it always discharged within 10 hours if i took it off AC.. so i got quite a lot of experience with hard resets
oh and this replacement unit had the log in its flashrom and it contained a failure message too

dunno why bsquare didn't include a backup battery. what is this external battery option in control panel / power?
 Top of the page
skyfox01_99 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 3:18 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

The built-in backup program, bFile, doesn't back up the required registy keys. The ActiveSync (in the "Tools" menu > "Backup/Restore" ) backup is a bit more complete.

Edited by skyfox01_99 2005-12-05 3:20 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 3:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

what registry keys? for the desktop hacking?
i don1t care about that... i use the bsquare shell with the vodafone today screen...
 Top of the page
skyfox01_99 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 3:42 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

that was in reply to slaine, cmonex
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 4:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok my last question is does everything else gets backed up by bfile, just not this reghack?
 Top of the page
skyfox01_99 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-05 4:21 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

It seems to, yes. It just seems to miss out system registry keys.
 Top of the page
Slaine Page Icon Posted 2005-12-08 7:51 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, good afternoon.

skyfox01_99

Thanks for the answer, now I have backed up my bSquare properly then
Hope the restore option will work once the battery goes flat, I hope anyway...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 31