x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can't Connect with even HPCFactor IrDA Generic Driver

1 2 3
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 7:28 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I've combed the threads, looked at Cmonex's "extra strings" advice, gone elsewhere on the web, but the connection between my Philips Velo 1 (CE 2.0) and my Nokia 6100 always hangs, then disconnects on "User Authenticated," the last step of the connection.

Any "extra string" entry, no matter what the command, doesn't work because the Velo won't dial it out--the phone just says "no carrier" when trying dial *99***1#, if there's anything in "extra string.."

The Device Properties have the baud set at 115200, but I've tried all the baud rates to no avail.

I know my basic specs work, since I use them with the same phone and connect successfully with both my Jornada 720 and a Psion ER5 via *99***1#

Is there any tweak, registry or otherwise, that might help?

Thanks,
Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 11:33 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well, you may want to experiment with the dial patterns.
me45 with jornada 720 is very sensitive to them, and the error is the same as on your velo, if the dial pattern isn't correct. (me45 and psion 5mx setup is no problem!)
my velo 1 is sensitive to this too if i want to do dialup with it... so are ce 2.0 devices, for example my sharp 4100...
there are many variants for the patterns, consisting of G, FG and optionally empty lines too.

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-06 11:35 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 3:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm using G-G-G right now. Can I ask what you use for your Velo?

Thanks,
Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 3:33 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i use G FG FG for dialup, it didn't like G G G .. i've yet to try gprs on it.. i can try tonight though.. i wanted to anyway.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Oh, I hope you get somewhere. I tried all variations of E, F, and G, but no joy. When I checked "force local call," the command hung up the Velo. I'm so close, but no further

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 6:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well it worked just fine with the same dialing pattern i mentioned that i use for dialup too.. it is an ericsson t39..
did you experiment with empty lines too? the pattern the me45 liked was G _ _
("_" means an empty line)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 7:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I did play with some empty lines--no joy. But I am getting the Nokia to say "Creating GPRS connection" before it says "Network Temporarily Unavailable"

The second Nokia error is nonsense since my other two machines connect with the Nokia fine.

One thing: by using empty spaces for local/long distance, I see that the Velo is dialing out INTERNATIONALLY, even when "force long distance" is checked (if "force local" is checked, the Velo freezes).

Is yours dialing out internationally? You can determine that by leaving local and long distance blank (no g's, etc.) and the GPRS number will still dial.

Very confusing.

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 7:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hrm, interesting.. can you try another sim card (from another provider) in the nokia?

and yeah now that you mention it i do recall something about this international dialling problem..

btw i hope you didn't put the AT command at the beginning of the extra strings..

also, you could try the terminal program for dialing out and sending strings..

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-06 7:18 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Update: I can't dial out any number, on any port, unless it's international.

This may have something to do with my 2.0 upgrade. Because my Velo has only 8mbs, I don't even have memory to spell-check on PocketWord, so I didn't install anything more. The Velo 2.0 ROM chip works, but maybe I'm missing some key Remote Network feature.

What do you think, and if I am, what is it?

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 8:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you use G FG FG you should be able to dial out local numbers too.. at least i can.. on CE 1.0..
hmm no, actually on CE 2.0 (sharp hc-4100), i have to use the following: whole number in the first line (0651302302 ... 06 is the country code and 51 is the second code and 302302 is the actual number) and G, FG in the second and third line.. the CE 1 method somehow doesn't work.
hm i don't know but for example the modem stuff isn't in the ce 2 rom by default, it is a separate install.. go through and check all the stuff.. maybe you could try this modem thingie. especially if you're trying to use the velo's built in modem.. if you meant the infrared, you definitely need to use COM3 for that, unless it changed in CE 2.0
how much ram do you have free without installing any additional components?

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-06 8:23 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-06 9:10 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

So if I'm following correctly, your Sharp 2.0 has the same "International-Calling-Only" problem, too? But you can connect?

If so, can you give me your fg-fg-fg specs, and your Sharp baud rate?

As for Velo 1/2.0/8mb memory, with installed programs--Tascal Reg, Total Commander 2.0, Pocket Codeworks Thesaurus, and 170K worth of PIM, and ONE 33K PWD document--and with just Control Panel window open, I have Storage Memory (Allocated 3016/In Use 1100) and Program Memory (Allocated 4950/In Use 3340).

Obviously, I adjust the scale when necessary, but it's real tight.

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 7:53 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

dunno if it is the same problem about the international stuff on the sharp (i meant it only in terms of the velo issues, not sharp), i think it just didnt want to connect with other dial pattern settings. (no other setting mattered under ce 1 and 2 in my experience and with my isp's)
i already mentioned the working one, whole number in the first line, this is a local number, with the local country code and local second code.. erm i forgot what that's called and then G and FG.
so it looks like this:

G
FG

this is of course for plain dialup, using its built in modem which is 33k, iirc, and i never changed baud rates.
for gprs, i can't remember what worked on ce 2.0, i'll try now asap.
(btw, i already mentioned what pattern works on 1.0 for both gprs and dialup, G FG FG)

it is worth a try installing the modem driver (or whatever) for your ce 2.0 velo, and maybe check if there's other important stuff. you hardly have enough ram for that but maybe you'll get away with it

as for gprs extra strings, did you type in AT at the beginning of the command? you shouldn't. (just want to make sure you didn't )
but you must use AT if you're using terminal for dialing in (gprs for example). that's worth a try too.

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-07 7:57 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 8:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK, looks like CE 2.0 isn't that selective about dialing patterns when it is about gprs. it is more of an issue with dialup and gprs / dialup under CE 1.0...
G G G, and G FG FG and even 0651302302 G G worked. (the last one was because i was lazy to create a new pattern, so i tried first with that.. )

or my phone is that good
try a t39....

maybe you could list the extra strings you've tried. and it does matter what is the CID used in your phone! so "1" may not be appropriate, in the dialled number (if you're not just using *99#) and in the string..
that could be a reason why the phone said no carrier - the phone is supposed to say that if you're trying to dial a gprs connection you're not authorized to use (meaning you're not data enabled.. you don't pay for it, essentially )
so if you're trying to call the wrong CID number, the phone doesn't use the correct gprs connection. sorry if you already knew that.

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-07 8:15 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 10:42 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hi,

I don't know much about this stuff, but if my CID number (1) works with my Nokia and Psion/Jornada, then that would be the proper number, correct?

I tried every command in your threads and others I found on the web. All of them produce "no carrier." Even when I use ATZ and nothing else in the extra string, I still get "no carrier."

I had found others with this problem on the web, but no one had ever seemed to solve it

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Jake - 2005-12-07 4:42 PM

Hi,

I don't know much about this stuff, but if my CID number (1) works with my Nokia and Psion/Jornada, then that would be the proper number, correct?

I tried every command in your threads and others I found on the web. All of them produce "no carrier." Even when I use ATZ and nothing else in the extra string, I still get "no carrier."

I had found others with this problem on the web, but no one had ever seemed to solve it

Jake

yeah i forgot that the setup works with your other stuff.. but, i would like to clarify this, do you use extra dial strings on the psion and j720? or is it just the number, *99***1#?

hmm, as i said do not use AT. try the commands without using AT at all
this could be important... (why not use AT? wince will send AT by default, you don't have to enter it yourself... except if you're using the terminal.. but i guess you aren't)

there's always a solution to the phone-pda connection! i thought not, but i was wrong... when a friend of mine got even the me45 to work on the j720 i was convinced...

the only case you can't do much about is when the provider just isn't compatible with the hpc. for example we have three gprs providers here and only one is compatible with hpc's under ce 1.0 and 2.0... period (?). (2.11 and above has no problems)
i can connect to vodafone HU and tmobile HU just fine, but no data transfer can be initiated afterwards... (your problem doesn't sound like this one, btw)

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-07 1:21 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8