x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Success! with AS & hpcs

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 1:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Isn't it nice when things work?

You may remember my first shot at Activestink. It didn't go well....Each time I synced I would erase all the PIM contents from both the PC and hpc. It didn't matter if the hpc or the PC had the source data. It didn't matter what settings I tried. Naturally, I threw up my hands and walked away.

That was several hpcs and a Palm ago Not knowing which gear is going on the road with me I needed to fix the problem and make sure they all sync.

So what do I do differently? Nothing as far as I can tell. I reloaded the PC from an older Ghost image, installed Outlook, then installed Hotsync and Chapura for the Palm and they worked just fine. FWIW, the Palm syncs in 1/10 the time it takes a CE machine. It roars like a 426 hemi.

One by one I added hpcs, starting with my 880 (which had a lot of PIM data restored from a phatware dbexplorer file, 1500+ contacts) and it synced fine. Hotsynced the Palm and it was in tune with the PC and 880. I then synced my 6651 with joy. On to my 790. Perfect sync, no issues.

I still have a few devices to sync, (SL4, 720, 789) but I don't anticipate problems. Yes, I remembered to allow ethernet access for future AS syncs as I don't want to crawl behind the desk to swap serial cables around.

Can I sync all my hpcs with one desktop with no problem? IIRC that is OK.

So after all my mid-summer frustration everything worked like a charm. Has anyone else been down this road with AS? Why Palm and Chapura can make a faster and more robust sync program boggles my mind.

Have they allowed wifi sync with AS4? Or is that still verboten? I can't imagine having to cable swap like a meth'ed out simian with all my gear. I'd just go without syncing.

A happy AS/Hotsync user (so far...I felt I should qualify that.)

PS. I will retain my partnership data if I back up the hpc after a successful sync and restore it later? And provided I ghost my winnt partition with all the partner data. AS won't pull a fast one and rehash the partner data on me? I wouldn't take kindly to that.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-12-07 1:33 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 3:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Synching several devices in one desktop should be fine. I do all my synching on one notebook PC (eight ActiveSync partnerships and three HotSync users - yep, they're all me) with no problems.

Re: sync speed
The only difference in speed appears to be in installing, backing up, and restoring apps, and while it is faster in HotSync, I wouldn't say ten times faster. You gotta remember that most of the CE programs are far more sophisticated anyway, requiring much larger footprints in memory. I do like how HotSync automatically backs up (most) apps to the PC every time; the backup/restore process is so much more of a chore in ActiveSync. By contrast, when I switched boards in my two Palm m500s the other day (one had a faulty digitizer screen while the other had a faulty memory card slot attached to the circuit board), restoring was a piece of cake. (One thing that makes this easier is that Palm OS' multiscreen GUI eliminates the need to create desktop shortcuts for apps installed on memory cards. The other side of this, though, is that accessing the memory card in Palm OS can take forever in older devices like those m500s. No such problem exists in CE at any processor speed.)

Re: cable swapping
I'm getting used to this, though I admit that I have to lug around a lot of cables in my notebook PC bag. (At least I can use the same one for both MobilePros.) I have a USB IrDA dongle, but I'm still having trouble establishing the connection with my CE devices via IrDA. It always requires several tries. (I have no choice with my E-105 because I damaged the cradle. Needless to say, it doesn't get synched as often.) Multiple AS partnerships contribute to this problem because somehow AS seems to "expect" the last device synched. (No such problems with the Palm OS devices - sync on first attempt every time.)

Edited by CE Geek 2005-12-07 3:57 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 7:31 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

lol, CE Geek, are you using another device every other day? that's a very good practice
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 12:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, they're all fun (at least the CE devices are), so I like playing with different ones at different times. (Am I a geek or what?)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 9:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I now rarely ever use my Compaq 2010c (mainly due to it's almost dying state) and I now use my Velo 1 on a regular basis and also getting used to my Nino 300...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 1:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm with CE Geek on this one. I rotate the machines I use and lug around. It makes things more interesting. It also raises more eyebrows at the hotspot I frequent. The regularsr think I'm some rich eccentric with all the gear they see me with! Little do they know it *all* cost about the same as a newish laptop. (Darn Source warehouse, they have a decent Acer laptop on for $450US. It's hard to resist, maybe boxing day will be the day to nab one.)

I'm happy everything is synced. It's a big relief knowing all my PIM is safe in multiple places.

And the Hotsync for Palm is sooooo excellent, backing things up and all. I hard reset my W and restored it in about 30 seconds. Fast and efficient.

I'm definitely leaning towards Palms for my family members. They're so easy and simple and robust. I don't think I could handle supporting hpcs for my family. It's grief enough with the ex g/f

And just to confirm so I don't waste my time, no wifi sync with AS4, correct?

Hey Monica, get wifi back yet? I've got two routers on the go for a weird little experiment I'm running.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 2:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

AS 4 does not allow wifi sync..
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 3:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-09 10:36 PM

I'm with CE Geek on this one. I rotate the machines I use and lug around. It makes things more interesting. It also raises more eyebrows at the hotspot I frequent. The regularsr think I'm some rich eccentric with all the gear they see me with! Little do they know it *all* cost about the same as a newish laptop. (Darn Source warehouse, they have a decent Acer laptop on for $450US. It's hard to resist, maybe boxing day will be the day to nab one.)

I get that kind of response too. 'cept I can carry all my CE devices around at once. They all fit neatly into a padded notebook computer bag I have, which is still pretty slim even after I put all the devices in. (I carry my notebook in a bigger bag - that is, when I need to carry it.) Okay, I do leave the Phenom out - it fits nicely in a TI calculator zip-up case I got at Staples for $7.

Don't know about still finding the Acer on Boxing Day. Probably be gone by then. I assume that Canadians are rushing to the stores that day to return items, just like here in the US, and that doesn't sound like a place to find returns.

Edited by CE Geek 2005-12-10 3:50 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 7:13 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Not completely accurate. AS4 allows WiFi sync if you have Exchange Server 2003 SP1 installed.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 8:30 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2005-12-10 3:38 AM

I now rarely ever use my Compaq 2010c (mainly due to it's almost dying state) and I now use my Velo 1 on a regular basis and also getting used to my Nino 300...

why is the compaq dying?

trying to be ON: do you use H/PC explorer and AS on the same pc?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 8:33 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-10 7:36 AM

I'm happy everything is synced. It's a big relief knowing all my PIM is safe in multiple places.

And the Hotsync for Palm is sooooo excellent, backing things up and all. I hard reset my W and restored it in about 30 seconds. Fast and efficient.

I'm definitely leaning towards Palms for my family members. They're so easy and simple and robust. I don't think I could handle supporting hpcs for my family. It's grief enough with the ex g/f

And just to confirm so I don't waste my time, no wifi sync with AS4, correct?

Hey Monica, get wifi back yet? I've got two routers on the go for a weird little experiment I'm running.

mhmm but to restore things to a palm you need a pc?
they're too complicated for me. or i just don't want to learn a new OS with its hacks and whatnot. and trying to deal with no file system (not even on the storage card.. without hacks anyway)

i wrote in your network thread (in the Off forums) that my router is working now after the firmware update, and i said thanks to you there
but dhcp isn't working so itll go back tuesday for a replacement unit
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 11:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2005-12-10 6:30 AM

tenjeangosi - 2005-12-10 3:38 AM

why is the compaq dying?

trying to be ON: do you use H/PC explorer and AS on the same pc?

Well, I have to repeatedly press the power button about 20 times to get the unit to turn on... I think I need a new battery (That is why I am now getting only AA/AAA battery powered H/PCs or P/PCs) for it and I also believe the AC adapter I have been using has ruined it (not original).
EDIT: Oh, I do not yet use both on the same PC, but I will try now and see if I am able sync both my Nino 300 and my Velo 1...

Edited by tenjeangosi 2005-12-10 11:40 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 12:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2005-12-10 5:33 AM

mhmm but to restore things to a palm you need a pc?

There's memory card backup/restore capability for Palm OS PDAs. (I know because I've had to do it on my Clie more than once.)

Edited by CE Geek 2005-12-10 12:46 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 1:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2005-12-10 5:38 PM

Well, I have to repeatedly press the power button about 20 times to get the unit to turn on... I think I need a new battery (That is why I am now getting only AA/AAA battery powered H/PCs or P/PCs) for it and I also believe the AC adapter I have been using has ruined it (not original).
EDIT: Oh, I do not yet use both on the same PC, but I will try now and see if I am able sync both my Nino 300 and my Velo 1...

hrm... can you power it up on AC fine?

interested to hear your experiences about H/PC Explorer and AS, especially if you can get to work on XP, as i sold my win98 subnote
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 1:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is a CESD C0001 with a video guide on using H/PC Explorer under XP.

As for using them both together at the same time, they both require exclusive access to certain system parts. If you don't have Outlook installed, then you may be able to change all the DLL calls to make it work in the same memory space... however I do not believe Outlook will allow both simultanious access (I wouldn't want to try it on my PST, put it that way).
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 31