x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What do CE geeks want for Xmas?

1 2 3 4
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 2:06 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It's not that far off again.

I *never* ask friends or family for anything even remotely related to computers, much less CE gear. I know they'll go to the nearest big box and pay far too much for something simple. Even if I send them a link for something I'd love to have they buy it elsewhere for more money or figure the "something close" they bought will do. This happened twice so I put and end to asking for IT gear.

So no more asking, ever, for any PC/CE related gear.

It doesn't leave them much to choose from. I'm lucky, I don't *need* anything. Like most people, there's a fair bit I want but most of it is fluff I can do without.

So what do us CE types ask for at Christmas? Do we make it hard on buyers to please us?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 3:16 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I heard my name, so here I am.

Well, for me the obvious choice has been storage media. I've been dropping hints to my family about wanting CF cards (you can never have too many) and, now that I've been enlightened here about the NEC Clik! driver, I'm dropping even stronger hints about USB storage drives.

What I really want more than anything, though, is an Intermec 6651 - but I doubt that my family can afford to spring for one of those.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 5:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This CE Geek wants a new forum Kernel so that he can get this website back on the straight and narrow

Like wallythacker, I don't need anything either... however as I'm not a Christmas person to begin with... it's kinda moot
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 7:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-07 8:06 AM

It's not that far off again.

I *never* ask friends or family for anything even remotely related to computers, much less CE gear. I know they'll go to the nearest big box and pay far too much for something simple. Even if I send them a link for something I'd love to have they buy it elsewhere for more money or figure the "something close" they bought will do. This happened twice so I put and end to asking for IT gear.

So no more asking, ever, for any PC/CE related gear.

It doesn't leave them much to choose from. I'm lucky, I don't *need* anything. Like most people, there's a fair bit I want but most of it is fluff I can do without.

So what do us CE types ask for at Christmas? Do we make it hard on buyers to please us?

mhm, i never asked for IT gear. grr, i always had to pay for my hdd's myself and the other stuff (ram, dvd writer, etc) never was a christmas gift either. pc itself was totally free (just like the laptop hehehe).

my bsquare phh is partially a gift for my birthday (just a few days before christmas) but i'm already using it and i paid half of the price

for christmas, i would like a lot of new beautiful clothes new handbag... where my hpc's would fit just fine. usually that's what i get.. and a couple of books.. a few other stuff, nothing important..

i agree i don't need much stuff either , but if someone knows me they will know for sure how to please me
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 7:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I gave her a CE 1 ROM chip, and she's puttty in my hands. muhahahahahahahaha

It's what every girl wants for the 2005 / 2006 season
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 10:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Let's see...

Unrelated non-H/PC stuff:
-The X-Files Season 3 on DVD...

Very related pro-H/PC stuff:
-PCMCIA CF Adapter
-PCMCIA Adapter for Velo 1
-LAN and WLAN PCMCIA adapter...
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 11:12 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'd like a big sack of money !
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 12:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-12-07 1:50 PM

I gave her a CE 1 ROM chip, and she's puttty in my hands. muhahahahahahahaha

It's what every girl wants for the 2005 / 2006 season

oh, most certainly
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 12:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2005-12-07 4:53 PM

Let's see...

Unrelated non-H/PC stuff:
-The X-Files Season 3 on DVD...

Very related pro-H/PC stuff:
-PCMCIA CF Adapter
-PCMCIA Adapter for Velo 1
-LAN and WLAN PCMCIA adapter...

so you got the velo at last!?!

ahh i see there must be a bug as the CE 1 forum doesn't show your last (6th dec) post in the velo 1 discussion forum.. but now i see your new post there.. (if i go to that part of the forum, i can see it..)

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-07 12:51 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 12:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I got a different Velo.. The one I purchased 3 months ago never came..
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

On the tech front, I'd like the 64mb ram upgrade for my Aero, so it won't freeze when I open large documents in TextMaker. I'll probably end up getting that myself with gift money - my wife's eyes glaze over when I mention ram or sodimm.....

Other than that, a couple work shirts and maybe a Starbucks card, and I'm good to go.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 1:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Funny ...
Oh, I also want a PCMCIA RAM card...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 2:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

You know, reading these replies really hits home that we *are* a special community of people.

Nobody's asking for the moon. We'll all pretty much happy with "the thought counts" when we mention Christmas expectations. What few wants we've expressed are reasonable and/or add to our fun with hpcs.

Where would you find another group of people like us? I haven't encountered any on the other boards I frequent. Everyone's neeping for new giant plasma TVs or other very expensive things just because they're "in", not that they would ever need or use them to the fullest.

Society would be better off all around if people with our lifestyles and thinking were in the majority. Imagine a world where items (like our hpcs) were appreciated and utilized instead of being looked down on as old or incapable.

I'll mention an urban legend to help my point. I heard from a friend of a friend that one day while emptying dumpsters at a large corporation a huge number of funny looking small purple computers tumbled from the bin into the truck. The binman picked one up, it looked in good condition, he opened it up and tried to turn it on. But nothing happened as I imagine the battery was dead or missing. So he took this one funny little computer home and the other hundreds of machines went to the landfill.

He then started asking around trying to find somebody who knew about Jornadas. Good grief. If there's any truth to this story what senior imbecile decided to ditch the corporate Jornadas? Why weren't the employees fighting tooth and nail to get one before they were trashed? Why wasn't the IT guy loading them all into his car for resale? What kind of messed up microcosm of society is that? Would *anyone* here behave that stupidly? Not a chance.

Yes, we're a special group. We know a good thing when we have it.

Philosophical rambling off.
 Top of the page
P.E.I. Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 3:24 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Where is that landfill I'm on my way.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 4:41 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey i hope this is really just an urban legend!!!!!

at least probably they were "just" 680's, not 720's.. definitely not 728's... still it would be soo sad i got a 680 very cheap and it is so nice.

i know of a similar story anyway, and it is NOT an urban legend, it did happen. so, same story, they ditched a lot of MC12's (320lx clone.. ce 1.0, sh3 44 mhz, 4 mb ram) and maybe MC16's too (updated 320lx, i have one ) here in hungary.. someone saved one MC12 (sadly only one), came to our largest HU pda forum, asked some questions on how to use it, and he was really happy with it his only grief was that he couldn't save more of them..
it happened about three years ago if i'm not mistaken..
i'm sorry for them too i don't have an MC12, grr.

btw a lot of j720's were ditched here recently, at several companies, but at least they were all saved as far as i know.. part of them went for 75$ without batteries, another part for 175$ with all accessories, and the third group went to romania. someone from that hungarian pda forum "stole" one for free from the romanian ones, and two batteries as well.

gah, plasma tv's, i dont see the point, i have never been able to. i don't even watch tv.

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-07 4:44 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10