x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

more questions about sig 3

javier Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 7:14 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi,

After a week with my sig III, I feel very happy with it. Is is the best machine that I have had (it makes me forget my jornada 710). But I have two questions more:

1. When I received it, the battery lasted for 4 hours but every time I recharge it, the operational hours decreased (now it works for 3.20 hours). In my opinion this is a mess, should I recharge it for 24 hours? Is this normal on 2nd hand items? If yes, should I buy a new one? I have seen them on conics.net, just a generic one for 62 us$, but I would like to know how long it last.

2. Also I have seen on hpcnec.com, a way on how to rebuild a nec 7xx battery, would it work on a sig III battery? Has anyone tried it? What are the right inside batteries model?

Thanks,

Javier

Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 7:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

1) it's not normal for the battery to decay that fast, it should have ~80% life after 400 discharges. maybe you've been using different backlight settings. cmonex has bought a conics one, maybe she can help

2) i am too coward (yet) to open the Sig's batt, but according to the form factor, it should have 18500 cells inside. the problem is that we've been searching for 18500s > 1500 mAh (the original batt capacity) and we've yet been unable to source them. the most you can do is to refurb your batt to the original spec, using those 1500mAh 18500 cells

Don't buy 18650s as they will be completely useless, they're bigger and won't fit
 Top of the page
javier Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 7:40 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi cmonex,

Thanks for your answer, by the moment the only available solution that I have is to use my current battery with low resolution screen (and having the ac adapter very near).

As you have said, I could refurbished my current batteries. How can I do it?

Thanks (y tomate un buen herradura anyejo por mi, lo echo mucho de menos)

Javier
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 9:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well dont confuse me with matrixcore please so he knows more about rebuilding the batts, but rebuilding a J720 batt is pretty straightforward. dunno about sig3..

ok my experiences..
i have bought a second battery and i don't feel it to be any better than the first. both last 4 hrs or a little more or less, without too much internet connection (either bluetooth or wlan). with *continuous* wlan it is a little less than 3 hrs, with bluetooth a little more.
using it at the 2nd or 3rd lowest backlight setting usually..

this is why i've not been able to forget about my J728 hmm not that i want to forget about it! i still like it as much as the sig3... so...

and finally, i might be able to source an extended batt soon would be soo cool. that has 3000 mAh capacity instead of 1500. so i could run for 8-10 hrs with that.
 Top of the page
javier Page Icon Posted 2005-12-11 9:29 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi Cmonex,

As I can see new batteries last the same as mine, what a pity . When you get the expanded one, could you tell me where you but it from?
I am thinking about keeping my old jornada 710, but being back with this unit is hard, you know the screen is a mess.

Thanks,

Javier
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 1:16 AM
#
H/PC Elite

javier - 2005-12-10 6:40 PM

Hi cmonex,

Thanks for your answer, by the moment the only available solution that I have is to use my current battery with low resolution screen (and having the ac adapter very near).

As you have said, I could refurbished my current batteries. How can I do it?

Thanks (y tomate un buen herradura anyejo por mi, lo echo mucho de menos)

Javier

Lol, as Cmonex just said, she and I are "!=".

You could refurb the batts opening the case, desoldering the 18500 cells, soldering new 18500's back and closing the case again. I've not done it for the sig, only for the jornada, but the battery seems to be able to withstand the procedure.

There's nothing to thank of (sobre lo del aƱejo... lo siento, no tomo) And does that means there's no tequila where you live!!!???
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 3:34 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

javier - 2005-12-12 3:29 AM

As I can see new batteries last the same as mine, what a pity . When you get the expanded one, could you tell me where you but it from?
I am thinking about keeping my old jornada 710, but being back with this unit is hard, you know the screen is a mess.

yeah the TFT screen needs quite some juice
sure i'll let you know if i can get one cheaper than from conics.net...
 Top of the page
javier Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 8:47 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi another time,

Cmonex, I will be expecting for your answer regarding the extended battery.

Matrixcore, by the moment I will not try to rebuild the sig III batteries. Here you can find tequila, but not the anyejo (Herradura y menos Don Julio); I do not like to drink a lot a glass with a good tequila anyejo is better than a cognac or brandy in my opinion (solo uno, en una buena copa y tomandolo relajado, que no me escuchen en mi pais
).

Now I will enjoy my sig III but knowing that I have certain limitations with the battery life, a pity.

cheers,

Javier
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10