x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 5:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I know that there was a thread started about 6 months ago on the subject of 3G but, I hope this doesn' seem redundant, I would like to reopen it. 6 months in the IT world is a long time I have just spent an hour on Google and saw a number of hits that are reporting the existance of 3G CF cards. I just read through all of the old threads and it seems to me that, at that time, most of the 3G cards were cardbus. Now that there are CF cards to do the same thing we don't have to worry about Cardbus...there still, of course, is the issue of compatibility with hpc2000.

I would like to start a discussion on the use/existance of 3g cf cards with hpc 2000 devices and any revisions to this technology. Please feel free to add any questions or knowledge to the ring.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I for one am interested. I took a quick look at the pages at http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Nov2003/6150.htm and it looks interesting.

384kb down is really respectable. I'm still learning about this stuff, so if the carriers price the product by Kb downloaded it could get really expensive. Or is the industry plan to offer a fixed monthly rate regardless of throughput?

Again, all new to me, is this a Europe/Asia incentive or are North American carriers 3g ready?

I ask because I recently bought a Palm W mainly to use as a phone (but I'll certainly use it for data if the price is right) but if I can get one of my hpcs connected cheaper and do more I'll choose that route and delegate my Palm to phone use only.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh i would love to have such a card...
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-13 11:22 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Europe...Asia...Africa...South America...North America...Oceania...all are invited, though I have found so far that the U.S. seems to be lagging a bit on wireless services. What is happening in Europe and other places this year will hopefully trickle down to us...

I can only speak for China on the issue of cost of services. For 200 RMB (about US$ 25) a month you can have unlimited 3G service with coverage in about 70% of the country. 70% is not bad because about 25-30% of the country is almost uninhabitable because it is either dessert or very high mountains. Best of all, you don't have to sign a country for one or two years for the service - you can do it month by month. Unfortunately HP/C's and PPC's even are a new thing there. One of my reasons for wanting to become more informed about this subject - besides my insatiable desire to know everything about computers and electronics - is to enable me to buy a card - c/f or pcmcia - here in the states and take it over there with me.

IMHO I think if HP/C's could host 3G and had just a little bit larger keyboards (and only cost about 60% of the cost of a notebook) they would take off on the market.

I think this is especially true since the new O/S force hardware mfg to make more standardized hardware, which makes the development of 3rd party software more feasible...but, I know that idea has been address in a couple of threads already....now, knowledge! knowledge! knowledge!
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-13 11:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

PS I think the recent surges in viruses and spyware should make HP/C's extremely desireable...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-14 4:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Tell me about it. My notebook PC is under quarantine right now.
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-12-15 3:16 AM
#
Well.. I know Sierra Wireless makes cards that are compatible with HPC 2000 devices. They have recently released their Aircard 850 which is a HSPDA UMTS card with GSM/GPRS/EDGE backup. Anyone wanna fork out the USD 380 to try and review it for us.
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 3:01 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks! But I am not familiar with GSM/GPSR, etc. I don't think these are 3G. I always thought that 3G was a variant of CDMA technology???

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 11:04 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

pengyou - 2005-12-16 9:01 AM

Thanks! But I am not familiar with GSM/GPSR, etc. I don't think these are 3G. I always thought that 3G was a variant of CDMA technology???

no, 3G is not just a cdma technology

gsm and gprs aren't 3G, you're right about that. that's UMTS.
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 10:15 PM
#
Hi,

GSM and GPRS are not 3G technology, but having these as backup to your 3G connection means you're almost always able to get a connection. You could even make voice calls with the card, so it says. Imagine that.. our 5 yr olds J7XXs able to compete with the 9500..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 4:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

alfabob - 2005-12-19 4:15 AM

Hi,

GSM and GPRS are not 3G technology, but having these as backup to your 3G connection means you're almost always able to get a connection. You could even make voice calls with the card, so it says. Imagine that.. our 5 yr olds J7XXs able to compete with the 9500..

lol once someone thought my J728 was a phone too...
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 7:37 PM
#
It will be one hell of a brick of a phone though
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 1:24 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Hmm. Linux doesn't have any driver problems, yet it will not boot. Interesting.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 28