x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Favorite DOS games and Apps

1 2
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 10:49 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Well, I am just glad that it works now. Unfortunately, I found out that there are WFWG 3.11 drivers for the integrated ethernet on the school computer running all this. So all the trouble I went through, and risking my ISA Etherlink III being stolen (nasty students), was not even necessary.

Turns out, SkyRoads Xmas edition is so ridiculously hard, I don't even recommend it. The first one is much more fun, not impossible.

For all of you people who have those old 120mb hard drives with 50mb (or more...) of bad blocks, but happen to have a caddy cdrom drive, do what I did for my friend. Get a truckload of games from dosgames.com and such, install it manually into directories, and burn those to a cd. Since you probably have more than one caddy, it would just be a matter of popping in the one with the games, and then playing. A menu system burned to the cd could probably be simple to configure, and worst comes to worst, just make a ridiculously huge path= statement in the autoexec.bat.

Pretty funny to realize that a burned cd has more space than the hard drive, and is more reliable considering that it is in a caddy, and doesn't need to be parked to prevent damage. Those caddies are pretty useful...I wouldn't mind having a drive like that today. Instead of a ton of loose cds, at least having a ton of loose caddies that will not disintegrate...

I'll recommend more as I delve further into my DOS adventures. I really want to test some menu programs, I remember some of them from years ago on old pc's in school. If I could find one of those... (nice machines, really).

Oh yeah, and all of the Learning Company games are excellent. I have a ton of great memories of those. But they always looked better on the macs, with their superior graphics cards of the time (and multiplied pricetag).
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-17 1:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2005-12-16 2:49 AM

CE Geek, have I got good news for you! You can use an infocom Z-code interpreter to play the games that are in return to zork. Just take the Z files off the cd, and install something like FrotzCE or ZipCE on your machine, and you're away!

http://www.inform-fiction.org/zmachine/wince.html

Enjoy reliving the past. And if you ever tried magnetic scrolls games, don't forget to try MagnetiCE which'll allow you to play the Pawn, Guild of Thieves, Jinxter, Corruption, ...

Cheers!
Nick.

Thanx for the link, chiark. That is good news - I hope. It looks like FrotzCE doesn't support sound or graphics. These are what I want to reproduce in CE. Will ZipCE meet my needs?

Edited by CE Geek 2005-12-17 1:56 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 9