x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Favorite DOS games and Apps

1 2
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-13 11:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hello,

This is a thread to discuss people's favorite games and or programs for the long lived MS-DOS (or variation ).

Joseph
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-14 4:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Unquestionably, MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator). I love playing those old video games from my college days. I still play the DOS version on my old Windows 98 desktop. Sound and video are identical to the original arcade games. (I have the CE 3 version [MAMECE3] and a specific version for my Cassiopeia E-105 [MAMEE10x] as well, but unfortunately the CE units can't reproduce the sound, and sound has to be disabled for the game ROMs to work properly. Still fun to play though, and as always, with my H/PCs I can do it anywhere - even during meetings if no one is sitting behind me. )
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-14 7:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Command.com
SkyGlobe
DOS release of Tiberian Dawn
1DirPlus
Windows 1.0 - 4.90
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-14 10:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I love some of the Star Trek DOS games... I also find the 'Are you Afraid of the Dark' game fun
 Top of the page
jupps Page Icon Posted 2005-12-14 12:22 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

4Dos
Ansi.sys
Patton & Patton's Flowchart
Turbo C 2.0
Turbo Pascal 4.5
Quick Basic 4.5

Norton Commander
Norton Utilities

Civilization
SimCity
Conflict
Scorched Earth
Leisure Suit Larry 1-3
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Doom
Quake 1

QEMM-386
Desqview
Windows 3.1

Those were good times, good times.

Edited by jupps 2005-12-14 12:25 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-14 12:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I for got one thing...
--WIndows 3.1 --

Edited by tenjeangosi 2005-12-14 12:33 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-14 1:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I meant Tiberian Dawn, not Tiberian Sun there.

The DOS TCP/IP Stack - Pure unadulterated Goodness
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-12-14 6:48 PM
#
I like Rogue, BloodStone, QBasic 4.5, Doom, Quake, Stella DOS(Atari 2600 emulator), and the old Star Defenders(The embarrasing QBasic game I made...). My next attempt will be better.

Wow, I'm about ready to cry at the thought of DOSBox possibly not being ported to HPC...

Edited by CardBoardCrusader 2005-12-14 6:51 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-15 2:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I also had a lot of fun with Return to Zork, especially after learning of sources that gave hints. If we get the wonderful pDOSBox ported to H/PC (hint, hint - VOTE in the poll!), I'd love to see that run on my H/PCs.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-12-15 2:45 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie! Excellent choice!
The only games I play are REd Alert and Tib Dawn in Win95... but they work for DOS too! That and my ZNES emualtor, with Metroid or BS Zelda loaded.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 1:13 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Lol. You got me at the right time, I am tweaking a school computer to work with dos.

Favorite apps? Fakedos. Oh yes. Some nasty student kept going into the computer and deleting system files.

Doskey.

Most useful tool ever. Heheh. I am currently looking for some sort of way to fill in the rest of the filename or command that I am typing, like Linux does. Typing the strange names of some installation programs can be tedious.

Windows For Workgroups 3.11

I don't know, for something that says it is for workgroups, out of the box it is terrible at its job.

TCP/IP update and IE 5 (not really...) fixes that. I'll probably use Netscape instead of IE 5, as I just like the way that the early versions work.

QBasic seems to be one of Microsoft's rare occurances of releasing something useful for free, and it is a cool program. I was trying to display the same thing as I did in C with it, and learned some from the helpful guide. Same opinion about Edit.

Fakedos looks like a normal prompt, but will return errors to whatever is typed, unless if it is the password. Problem solved, they don't even know what is going on.

Games?

Liero. If you think Half Life 2, Doom, UT2004, and others are good, you haven't seen nothing. 2d destruction can lead you to make some of the craziest moves of all time, such as your worm dropping off a piece of dirt, bouncing off a rock, stealing the health your opponent was about to get, and dissolving them in a deadly attack of spikeballs. Oh yes.

SkyRoads is another. In the pre-3d age, this title is very cool. I just like it. Xmas edition looks interesting as well. The objective is to bounce from one platform/road to the other, while moving at increasing speeds. It is not that big of a game, but fun nonetheless.

Mario Teaches Typing

Some people would know that I would get to this...I just can't help but be addicted to those classic educational games. And know what? Instead of typing very fast with two fingers (without looking), I am now almost at that point with both hands.

That piece of software was definitely not easy to get my hands on, but ever since I played the demo on a cd of mine...

Battle Chess

That cd happened to be of the game Battle Chess. I have not tested it on 3.11 yet, but it should run fine, as it was from that time really, not Windows 95. The cd came with a plethora of demos for dos games, many of which I am still searching for. (Star Wars games and such). It has been quite a few years since I last explored that cd, and when I rediscover it, there will be some more favorite titles of mine.

Probably more to come.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 5:49 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek, have I got good news for you! You can use an infocom Z-code interpreter to play the games that are in return to zork. Just take the Z files off the cd, and install something like FrotzCE or ZipCE on your machine, and you're away!

http://www.inform-fiction.org/zmachine/wince.html

Enjoy reliving the past. And if you ever tried magnetic scrolls games, don't forget to try MagnetiCE which'll allow you to play the Pawn, Guild of Thieves, Jinxter, Corruption, ...

Cheers!
Nick.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 8:05 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-12-16 6:13 AM
Windows For Workgroups 3.11

I don't know, for something that says it is for workgroups, out of the box it is terrible at its job.

TCP/IP update and IE 5 (not really...) fixes that. I'll probably use Netscape instead of IE 5, as I just like the way that the early versions work.

Ah, well you've fallen into a spiral of modern age envy here PS. You're forgetting that when 3.11 was released no one used TCP/IP, it was all IPX/SPX or NetBEUI, so 3.11 did an admirable job - given the times and compatition - for what it needed to do.

The TCP/IP is a useful addition these days, and even if you don't use the MSIE, but have to use dial-up, the Microsoft Stack Dialer is useful, it even included the Windows 98 Modem driver database. Shame it doesn't work on NT3.51 though.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 11:58 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 4:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Try The Underdogs. They have a good archive of freeware DOS programs...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 31