x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC2000 SDK and 2002 SDK

1 2
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 4:52 PM
#
I've been doing little things on my J720 with the 2000 SDK, worked great, used the eMbedded Tools 3.0 2000 edition and it was fine.

Recently I got a free Toshiba e310 from a friend and I started programing on that for a MP3 car project where the PDA would be the iTunes remote. I got that working (mostly) and I wanted to port it to my wonderful 720. Alone and behold my 2000 SDK has stopped working correctly.

I read some stuff on it and with the PPC2002 edition they aparently deleted my precious HPC2000 SDK. So I removed it and tried putting my HPC2000 SDK back on, still, nothing.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 5:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Did you remove the elusive files in /Program Files on your computer?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-12-16 7:46 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I presume you are referring to your eVC tool on your *PC* that is not able to see your HPC2000 SDK right now ...

when you say your HPC2k sdk stopped working, care to share some details? I had emtools installed before, with hpcpro, hpc2k and ppc2000 sdk working fine. I think I also had ppc2002 sdk installed, but if I dun recall wrongly, ppc2002 sdk is for emTools 4.0 while ppc2000 sdk and hpc2000 sdk is for emtools 3.0
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-17 1:17 PM
#
I got it all workin' now, took a complete removal (eVB 3.0 and all, not just the SDKs).

But after I got that done I had the app working mostly. What I'm trying to do is send a string of data from a VB6 winsock program to eVB winsock program. The connection works fine cause I can send data from the PDA to the PC fine, but when I try and send data from the PC to the PDA, the string won't display. The bytesTotal is how it should be, so it's getting data, but no matter what I try, the string won't display.

I've tried these two commands that get the bytesTotal right:

Winsock1.GetData song, vbString, bytesTotal
Winsock1.GetData (song)
Winsock1.GetData song

Those all appear to be getting all the bytes of the data, but no string gets displayed
So what am I doing wrong?

Other than adding library support it's one of the final steps in my iTunes Controlling App for HPC2000, and maybe PPC2002 eventually (wouldn't take much more work). I had seen other programs do this but those cost money and I felt like being cheap

Edited by bobbarker 2005-12-17 1:26 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-12-17 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi bob, great! Good to know you got it to work already.

From your post, I cannot quite see the line you are using to display the string. You wanna post that line so someone can try figure out?
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-17 9:14 PM
#
Private Sub Winsock1_DataArrival(ByVal bytesTotal As Long)
Dim str As String
Winsock1.GetData str, vbString, bytesTotal
Text1.Text = str & "bytes: " & bytesTotal
End Sub

Ugly and not very good code, but I'll change crap like str and Text1 as soon as it really works.

I was checkin' out the help file with it:

----
GetData
This method retrieves the current block of data from a Winsock control.

winsock.GetData data [,type],[maxLen]
Parameters
winsock
Reference to a Winsock control.
data
Variable where retrieved data is stored.
type
Optional parameter indicating the format of the returned data. Must be either vbString or (vbByte + vbArray). If not specified, defaults to vbString.
maxLen
Optional parameter included for compatibility with the Visual Basic 6 WinSock control. Currently not implemented; if a value is specified, it is ignored.
----

And then I noticed this which might be my problem:
If you receive data as a string, the bytes are converted from ASCII characters to Unicode characters. The conversion will stop if the data contains a NULL byte (ASCII code 0); data may be lost as a result. If you need to receive data that contains NULL bytes, you must use (vbByte + vbArray).

I'm just getting basic text (song titles). If I can get song titles going I can add in artist and album, but for now I need to get the damn thing workin'!

I know the server works because the only time it displays the song is if it sent the data okay, and it displays it fine. So I know the problem is on the PDA end.

I'm pretty furstrated as hell and I'd post up the whole code, but right now it's in such a disarray and not ready for the public (I need to make it pretty! ). No less if I can get it to display songs and what not all right then I'll put something up and then get workin' on adding library support.

I'm getting sleepy *grumbles off to the fridge*
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 11:29 PM
#
Nobody else have this trouble with it?
*sigh*
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 9:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

bobbarker - 2005-12-18 9:29 PM

Nobody else have this trouble with it?
*sigh*

Well, I wrote an app like 5 yrs back having a server PC and client PPC doing winsock comms to transfer data back and forth. No problems back then.

How about if you receive the data as vbByte (if there is such a thing).

EDIT: And why don't you do a MsgBox str instead? This will let you be sure you see what is coming in or not.

Edited by Snappy! 2005-12-19 9:41 AM
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 2:18 PM
#
I'll try the vbByte thing and I'll try the msgbox, I just avoid message box because the server is sending data from a timer that goes every 2 or so seconds, which souldn't overflow the winsock on the PDA...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

bobbarker - 2005-12-19 12:18 PM

I'll try the vbByte thing and I'll try the msgbox, I just avoid message box because the server is sending data from a timer that goes every 2 or so seconds, which souldn't overflow the winsock on the PDA...

... ya, try that and see what is the output. The other thingie I would try if I were you is to quickly write a skeleton prog, sorta POC (proof of concept), simple server and client that sets up a UDP or TCP port and send data when you click a button on the server and have the client display that. That way, you can rule out all other variables and get the comms portion working.

Once that works, you can cut-paste the working code to your app framework. It may seem more work, but it works very well most (99%) of the time. Sure saved me many hours debugging.

Unfortunately I do not have a wifi cf card right now to help you churn out a test app.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 11:40 PM
#
Yeah, right now I have a pretty bad lookin' app, stripped down. As soon as it all works I'll redo it to it so it doesn't look like crap.

But I did try the vbByte, and ended up with an error from Winsock. I'm gonna try it on my other PDA (my PPC2002 one) and see if quite possibly the fact I had to do a registry on my 720 might bring up issues. Who knows.

Now where did I put the installer for the PPC2002 SDK
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 1:48 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

bobbarker - 2005-12-16 4:52 PM

I've been doing little things on my J720 with the 2000 SDK, worked great, used the eMbedded Tools 3.0 2000 edition and it was fine.

Could you or anyone tell me when I can get eMbedded Tools 3.0 2000 edition?
On the Microsoft page I found only 2002 edition.

Thanks in advance,
Raul
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Elder

raul - 2005-12-21 11:48 AM

bobbarker - 2005-12-16 4:52 PM

Could you or anyone tell me when I can get eMbedded Tools 3.0 2000 edition?
On the Microsoft page I found only 2002 edition.

Thanks in advance,
Raul

http://www.hpcfactor.com/developer/
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 3:39 AM
#
I tried a simple send a string app to my e310 (ppc2002) and I got no where. Same problem as before.
Bytes get there, but the string won't display.

Back to square one
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 10:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

bobbarker - 2005-12-22 1:39 AM

I tried a simple send a string app to my e310 (ppc2002) and I got no where. Same problem as before.
Bytes get there, but the string won't display.

Back to square one

hmmm ... so how do you know your bytes are getting there?

maybe, you want to just send me the strip down code to me and I can try to help.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.233 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9