x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

backup battery and Jornada 720

janek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 11:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all,
the backup battery (cr 2032) in my jornada ist empty after 30 mins ( with the Li-Ion removed at this time). The CR2032 is new ( i tried already 3 diffrent brands - none worked for an hour).

Can it be repaired ?
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 11:49 AM
#
The backup battery is only built to last a little while. A half an hour seems a tad short, but that battery is only there to keep your info good while you switch batteries or plug in to power.

Some of the backup batteries are "rechargeable" (I took one from an old mobo) and they'll recharge themselves while on the base. It can take awhile to charge but they will charge.
 Top of the page
janek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 2:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi again,
thanks for the answer.

Well, you mean it's normal the small cr2032 battery last only 30 minutes or so ( no main rechargable battery, no ac power ) ?
I use jornada quite seldom and wasn't really surprised when it was empty after a few months laying in the drower, but 30 minutes - isn't it a little short ?

the same battery on the mainboard last for years - have a few mainbords laying around for years and they still don't loose data stored in c-mos.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 2:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The CMOS battery is keeping a couple of hundred KB of RAM in a stand-by state and nothing else.

The HPC battery has to keep an eye on 32,000,000 KB of RAM in a semi powered state which usually looks for 3v I belive in this case.

The coin cell is designed to do two things.

1) Emergency fail over in case all other power sources fail

2) Provide a current smoothout for the main battery if Windows CE power managent trips the device into emergency power mode. In such a state the main battery is still providing current to the RAM, only augmented by the coin cell if required.

It is certainly not designed to keep the device alive for extended periods.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 2:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if it discharges within half a hour while a *charged* main battery is in the jornada too, it is a hardware fault.
if there's no main battery or it is discharged it should still last for a day or so (that's my experience, i removed main batt for almost a day and the backup battery was still fine), but maybe your jornada is trying to turn itself on..?
 Top of the page
janek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi,
thanks for answers.

The small backup battery last only for half an hour if there is no main battery( or discharged) , or no ac power.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 5:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i don't see why you don't keep the main battery in the machine?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9