x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Neta 980 Lost its Mind

« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next »
hdokes Page Icon Posted 2008-12-26 8:51 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well Nate... those seem to be quite valid points. Being new to the CE .NET I haven't had a chance to really compare the two. I will work with these and report back. I do know that I couldn't find any wifi card to work with 3.0. I will also state that while 4.1 auto recognized the cisco 350 aironet cards I have.... none of them will connect to the @%@&^%%%$$ wifi. Doesn't seem to see it (doesn't show available SSID's tho there are plenty to choose from) however when I do a refresh the fixed profile I have installed goes from red x on the wifi icon to the working beacon... still... the system reports no connection. I'm still looking for some feedback here if anyone has some ideas.

Now... regarding shoora.... YOU... are a super genus! I was able to update both 3.0 units to 4.1 with your instructions and it went without a hitch. Good to know that I can also go backwards if I choose to go Nate's route.

So.... here I sit... just trying to get these units (3 of them) to connect to the wifi. Will report if I have some success here.
 Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2008-12-26 10:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I had that exact same problem with the Cisco 350 card with the 4.1 firmware.

Now that I know it's probably not the card, I'll try to get it running with the 3.0 firmware. I hadn't tried before becuase my preferred Wifi card worked just fine.
 Top of the page
shoora Page Icon Posted 2008-12-27 4:00 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Nate the great - 2008-12-26 10:30 PM

I had that exact same problem with the Cisco 350 card with the 4.1 firmware.

Now that I know it's probably not the card, I'll try to get it running with the 3.0 firmware. I hadn't tried before becuase my preferred Wifi card worked just fine.

I've tried Cosco 350. Strange drivers.
Had much better luck with ORiNOCO Gold.
When I have some, I will investigate feasibility of making CE5.0 image for the device.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-12-27 10:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nate the great - 2008-12-26 5:38 PM

The 3.0 firmware has Primer PDF, which had performed significantly better that the MS PDF viewer that comes in 4.1. The handwriting recognition software is Calligrapher. I found it easier to learn and it came with a nice basic onscreen keyboard.

I also could not get Wifi working on the 4.1 firmware. I tried 3 different cards. The CAB I have for one refused to install (it worked on my MP 900C). The other two cards were supposed to be supported by drivers included in the firmware.One wasn't recognized, and the other couldn't get a signal when sitting next to my router. Last I checked, both cards worked in my MP 900C.

The 4.1 firmware also broke TCPMP. I couldn't play a simple DIVX video. I think there was a conflict between the graphics driver and TCPMP. (The 3.0 firmware doesn't appear to use the graphics chip.)

The 3.0 firmware also has a printer manager, Jeode JVM, nice MP3 player, powerpoint, spreadsheet, as well as Pocket Word. Fresh out of the box, with no extra software installed, it's a lot closer to a real tablet PC than the same device with the 4.1 firmware.

And I do know that there is a lot of third party software I could install to add more functions. The 3.0 firmware needs less, so whenever I reinstall after a hard boot it takes less time.

And as for GUI, I noticed a lag in response time with the 4.1 firmware over that of the 3.0 firmware. It might only be a fluke occurrence with my device, but it was irritating.

The TCPMP issue is due to lack of a good version of gx.dll for the 24-bit color setting. Change the registry value for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Drivers/Display/MQ200/BPP from 24 to 16 and soft reset to change to 16-bit color, and it should be fine. As for WLAN, I haven't had any problem with the preinstalled drivers.

Nate, are you saying you prefer Calligrapher over Transcriber (the latter included in the CE 4.1 .net ROM)?
 Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2008-12-27 11:02 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2008-12-27 10:09 PM
The TCPMP issue is due to lack of a good version of gx.dll for the 24-bit color setting. Change the registry value for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Drivers/Display/MQ200/BPP from 24 to 16 and soft reset to change to 16-bit color, and it should be fine. As for WLAN, I haven't had any problem with the preinstalled drivers.

Nate, are you saying you prefer Calligrapher over Transcriber (the latter included in the CE 4.1 .net ROM)?

Thanks for the tip about TCPMP.

As for Transcriber, I hadn't tried all the features. I hadn't heard of it until I'd read your post. After doing some Googling, I have to say it looks pretty good. I even found a download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8b343c3-2eee-41e3-9339-f7b303f4b386&displaylang=en

I'm going to see what devices it works on.

Edited by Nate the great 2008-12-27 11:02 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 12:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2008-12-22 7:23 PM

I don't think so. However, a lot of programs that claim to be for Windows Mobile 5 devices actually show CE 4.2 in the OS version identifier inside the file(s).

and a lot of WM5 apps show 4.1
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Nate the great - 2008-12-27 2:38 AM

The 3.0 firmware has Primer PDF, which had performed significantly better that the MS PDF viewer that comes in 4.1. The handwriting recognition software is Calligrapher. I found it easier to learn and it came with a nice basic onscreen keyboard.

I also could not get Wifi working on the 4.1 firmware. I tried 3 different cards. The CAB I have for one refused to install (it worked on my MP 900C). The other two cards were supposed to be supported by drivers included in the firmware.One wasn't recognized, and the other couldn't get a signal when sitting next to my router. Last I checked, both cards worked in my MP 900C.

The 4.1 firmware also broke TCPMP. I couldn't play a simple DIVX video. I think there was a conflict between the graphics driver and TCPMP. (The 3.0 firmware doesn't appear to use the graphics chip.)

The 3.0 firmware also has a printer manager, Jeode JVM, nice MP3 player, powerpoint, spreadsheet, as well as Pocket Word. Fresh out of the box, with no extra software installed, it's a lot closer to a real tablet PC than the same device with the 4.1 firmware.

And I do know that there is a lot of third party software I could install to add more functions. The 3.0 firmware needs less, so whenever I reinstall after a hard boot it takes less time.

And as for GUI, I noticed a lag in response time with the 4.1 firmware over that of the 3.0 firmware. It might only be a fluke occurrence with my device, but it was irritating.

just three points.

1. primer is easily pwned by adobe. get it (hacked for CE) from my site works both on ce3 and 4.x

2. wifi handling is a lot better on 4.x, but you have to be careful which cabs you install. what wifi card models do you have?
prism, agere, both work (the most common chipsets)
with some trickery you can even have WPA on 4.1 (4.2 supports it out of the box)

3. as for software, yeah, you have to install the ce 4.x equivalents but after that no problems
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 12:09 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hdokes - 2008-12-27 2:51 AM

Well Nate... those seem to be quite valid points. Being new to the CE .NET I haven't had a chance to really compare the two. I will work with these and report back. I do know that I couldn't find any wifi card to work with 3.0. I will also state that while 4.1 auto recognized the cisco 350 aironet cards I have.... none of them will connect to the @%@&^%%%$$ wifi.

i know that problem. same on 900c by default. you will need to update the driver from cisco.

Edited by cmonex 2008-12-28 12:09 PM
 Top of the page
hdokes Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 12:25 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Has anyone actually been able to connect an airpanel 100 to a PC through the USB port? I assumed that this would be done with ActiveSync running on the XP machine however I have attached one to the other with a usb A to usb A cord and xp is not seeing any connectivity nor is active sync able to connect.

I am trying to load cisco aironet 350 drivers on the airpanel but the drivers must be installed from the PC.... i.e. aironet client utilities 2.3.

Edited by hdokes 2008-12-28 12:26 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 12:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

now, knowing how to flash roms and bootloaders for this device, who wants to cook a rom? then cenet 4.1 can be useful out of the box. hehe.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 12:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hdokes - 2008-12-28 6:25 PM

Has anyone actually been able to connect an airpanel 100 to a PC through the USB port? I assumed that this would be done with ActiveSync running on the XP machine however I have attached one to the other with a usb A to usb A cord and xp is not seeing any connectivity nor is active sync able to connect.

I am trying to load cisco aironet 350 drivers on the airpanel but the drivers must be installed from the PC.... i.e. aironet client utilities 2.3.

does it not have a CF or PCMCIA slot. get the CAB of the PC setup (by simply running setup, it will extract CAB somewhere), and youcan install that without connection.
 Top of the page
David G Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 1:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I don't think that you will be able to get a straight usb A to usb A to work.

My Neta 980 uses a special usb cable that attaches to the connector in the BACK of the unit - OR - Alternatively, you can hook up through the standard usb port on the back of the docking station.

To use activesync, I think you will have to connect through the USB (as described above) or through the IR port (if the Airpanel's IR port actually works - It does NOT work on the NETA).

Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 1:06 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

cmonex - 2008-12-28 12:08 PM
just three points.

1. primer is easily pwned by adobe. get it (hacked for CE) from my site works both on ce3 and 4.x

Thank you for pointing out your version of Adobe reader. You're correct; it does pwn Primer. Somehow I'd managed to convince myself that you hosted the same file as the Adobe CAB here (which doesn't work on my Airpanel).
 Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 1:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

cmonex - 2008-12-28 12:29 PM

now, knowing how to flash roms and bootloaders for this device, who wants to cook a rom? then cenet 4.1 can be useful out of the box. hehe.

Cooking one is a little beyond me, but I'll test them for anyone who wants.
 Top of the page
hdokes Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 3:48 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The cisco install file for the client utilities/drivers looks first for a connected CE device... when it doesn't see one... it closes before extracting the cabs. I extracted the 3 listed cab files independantly however... once in those directories... are files are appended with a 3 digit numeric extension.... no exe's so no idea how to actually install from the flash as I have no idea what file to execute.

Am I correct in understanding that without a docking station, I can't use the usb port? Or are we saying I just need a USB cross over cable?
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12