x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Backing up onto a different CF card

alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 8:18 PM
#
Guys,

Sorry if my post subject is vague. Here's my question. I currently operate my J728 with 2 CF cards, a small 256 card is my D drive, and a bigger 1GB CF is my E drive.

I now would like to replace my D drive with my E Drive, but would that mean that I would lose all the software links currently installed on the D Drive even if I copied the contents of the D drive onto my E Drive?

2nd issue. I've also installed some apps onto my E Drive due to lack of space on the D drive previously. Is there anyway I could remap the software location to the new address.

So in short, I'd like to replace my 256MB with my 1GB CF, copy all the contents of the 256MB CF onto the 1GB CF, and have all the program links working.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 8:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

are they always in the device at the same time?

if not, then dont worry

if yes, you can either try reg hacks or just edit the lnk files.
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 10:53 PM
#
Cmonex,

They are normally in at the same time. I'd just like to operate on one BIG CF card instead of having 2, so I could keep the PC Card Slot free for my Socket BT.

One other question, I've installed most of my software onto the Storage Card, but my RAM storage usage is still in the 20MB-30MB range.Why is so much used for storage, most of my data including My Documents is generally kept in the storage cards.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 1:22 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Then you allocated way too much ram for storage space. Get into system properties by alt-clicking My Handheld PC, and select properties. Move the slider way over to the right, and tweak as you want from there.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 7:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

alfabob,

You can do one of two things.

Move the contents of both cards off of eachother and then onto the opposite card (recommeneded through a PC card reader rather than ActiveSync)

-and/or-

Follow CESDH0010
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0010.asp

Hard code the storage card mount point names "Storage Card" "Storage Card2" to the opposite CF card. That will prevent accidental name changing, and will allow you to swap the mount order just by assigning Card 1's name to Card 2 and vice versa.

You can remap the links, the main problem is the start menu shortcuts, which can be re-written if you alt + tap them and select properties.
The registry... generally speaking so long as there are no registered file types for an application it'll be happy enough. If there are, you may need smalltweak or the like (or a registry editor) and go through and remap the file pointers.

Failing that, you could simply reinstall the app's onto the new CF.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 7:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

alfabob - 2005-12-20 4:53 AM

One other question, I've installed most of my software onto the Storage Card, but my RAM storage usage is still in the 20MB-30MB range.Why is so much used for storage, most of my data including My Documents is generally kept in the storage cards.

well thats interesting, how can you exist with such a low program ram? oh well i remember you have a 728, it should be ok then... almost same here, 15-20 mb for storage, 40-45 for programs... but i keep netfront and destinator (large apps) in ram and the socket bt driver is also 2 mb...
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 7:23 PM
#
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

ProgramSynth... What i was trying to say was my storage requirments require 30MBs of RAM. I was trying to figure out how I could bring that down.

C:Amie, thanks for the pointers. I'll give it a shot later today when I get sometime to tweak with the Jornada.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 10:21 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Lol, sorry about that one. I haven't seen anyone go over 10mb of required storage when most was installed on their cf cards before.

Pretty much, same as C:Amie said. I just keep the wifi drivers in my storage memory, and link everything else out. Then use hacks for things such as IE temporary storage.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 11:45 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-12-21 4:21 AM

Lol, sorry about that one. I haven't seen anyone go over 10mb of required storage when most was installed on their cf cards before.

Pretty much, same as C:Amie said. I just keep the wifi drivers in my storage memory, and link everything else out. Then use hacks for things such as IE temporary storage.

lo, because you don't have 64. i don't bother with this.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 8