x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Do you own a Palm OS device?

1 2
Do you own a Palm OS device?
OptionResults
I own a Palm OS device9 Votes - [69.23%]
9 Votes [69.23%]
I do not own a Palm OS device4 Votes - [30.77%]
4 Votes [30.77%]

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 10:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

My natural curiousity at work again. I notice many Palm devices listed in signatures but suspect there are many more not identified. Anything with a Palm OS is fair game.

1. If you have a Palm was it purchased before or after your first hpc?

2. What was the one main reason for your Palm purchase?

3. Does the Palm see any use since your hpc purchases or does it sit idle?

4. Is any model Palm, new or old, on your wishlist?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 11:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

1. My first Palm was purchased after buying several CE hpcs.

2. It was so cheap! Seriously, I wanted a Tungsten W since reading a review 2 years ago.

3. Used every day. It's my main PIM & phone device. Runs Solitaire as well as any CE hpc.

4. T | X is attractive, or the Sony high-end clamshell unit (I forget the model)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 2:09 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Still have five Palm OS devices. (A sixth one was stolen about the time it became obsolete.)

1) I got all of my Palm OS devices (as well as my Pocket PC) before I saw the light and entered the H/PC world.

2) Liked the idea of doing computing in the palm of my hand.

3) Still use my Palm OS devices occasionally, but they definitely get a lot more rest nowadays than my H/PCs.

4) Nope. I've covered the Palm spectrum as far as I'm concerned. (I've had a fleeting interest in a Palm OS "wristwatch" that I've seen on eBay, but it probably won't go anywhere.)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 9:04 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-22 4:56 AM

My natural curiousity at work again. I notice many Palm devices listed in signatures but suspect there are many more not identified. Anything with a Palm OS is fair game.

yeah here's a palm m505, my brother had/used it in 2001, then when it died it sat in the drawer for many years until i got my hands on it. i gave it away to my sister since then, after getting it repaired (needed a new motherboard, repair was cheap enough).

1. well, i got it before the hpc's (but after the psions - nice devices with keyboard too. almost like hpc's!)

2. it was no purchase but i liked its sleek design... well until i got it repaired and turned it on finally

3. never any use, my sister sometimes uses it for pim

4. no, but if someone wanted to give me an UX50 for free i wouldn't resist the offer (this is that clamshell you might mean)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-23 7:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

1.) After
2.) Just for basic things
3.) It sat idle
4.) Maybe an old grayscale Palm with USB sync...

I just decided to give my Palm IIIxe away .. My Palm was just sitting in a drawer unused for so long...
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 11:24 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

wallythacker - 2005-12-22 3:56 AM

1. Only a month before
2. Saw it in a charity shop where I worked at, £15 for a Palm Vx in March 2005, I thought "giveaway!". I wanted to try out the Palm OS, but found the MS OS more flexable. It is now a remote control.
3. Not really! Just a spare remote with dead batteries!
4. None, trial ended, I felt better working with the MS OSs which have more to fiddle with. The Palm OS is far too oversimplified. Well, on the Vx that is.
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 8:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

1. Before. I bought my Zire 21 (new) in August 2005 and my 2010c (used - ebay) in December 2005

2. I needed a small PIM device that would fit comfortably into my pocket and not dent my wallet. The Zire 21 was the cheapest new model I could find, and even got a $10 discount because it was a display model and the flip-cover was damaged.

3. My Palm still functions as my PIM unit and will continue to do so. It has fast sync'ing (2010c is serial only, Z21 is USB only), all-in-one fast and simple software both on the Palm and desktop, and a very intuative and fluid user interface.

4. Not for now. My Zire 21 and 2010c both do all I need on the road. I can quick take information with my Palm, and can do more serious writing and 'net access with my 2010c.
 Top of the page
BruceHungerford
BruceHungerford Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 11:48 PM
#

I own four PalmOS devices. Three were purchased before my PocketPCs, which were in turn purchased before my HPCs; the fourth, an Abacus/Fossil WristPDA was purchased several months ago.

The first Palm III was purchased primarily for PIM applications; the second Palm III was purchased for my wife, who never used it and gave it back to me for a spare; the TRGpro, the first PalmOS device with built-in external storage, was purchased for PIM applications, ebooks, and other applications; the WristPDA was purchased so I would always have my PIM data with me.

The older three have been sitting on the shelf for several years; I wear the WristPDA every day.

The LifeDrive looks interesting, and I have toyed with the idea of getting a Treo 650; but I doubt if I will get either.

I hope someone finds this of interest.

Bruce
MP890 Evangelist
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-06 7:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

After opening my big mouth and saying I probably wouldn't buy the Palm OS watch, BruceHungerford's post piqued my interest again and, wouldn't you know, I went and bought a Fossil Abacus on eBay. (Hard to resist - the seller is in the same town where I live, so I saved S & H.) Maybe this represents a new direction for Palm OS, so that it and CE will ultimately cover very different types of device.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 12:48 AM
#
H/PC Elder

This is pretty interesting. It's not conclusive but it appears a lot of us have Palm devices in our fleet.

Hey, why not? They're pretty darn good at what they do. I respect my Tungsten more every day. I'm afraid the mention of the Fossil has piqued my interest in another device, again

I'm off the check out the Fossil specs. Rest assured, you'll all know if I get one....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 2:59 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, if you do get one, follow the instructions for doing the first HotSync carefully. They look a tad complicated if you already have other Palm OS devices synched on the same computer. I've only had it a few hours as of this writing, but I haven't been able to complete a HotSync yet. I get "HotSync operation interrupted" as soon as I click on the new user name I created for it. Maybe Bruce can help us figure it out.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 5:48 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, got it working. I think I must have done a couple of steps in the wrong order. I tried again using another USB port and . . . voila!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 8:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well I don't have a palm, but I have been tempted many times, the Fossil watch included...

As of now, the only Palm device sorta on my wishlist is the Xplore M68 phone by GSPDA:
http://www.gspda.com/product/product_M68.htm
I currently use a MS Smartphone, the Mio 8390, but that OS does have its limitations. The Xplore running Palm 5.4 would be a bit more useful in a sense, and maybe a bit less fun than the Smartphone. That said, I hope GSPDA switches to WM PPC Phone, like the Treo has.

BTW, questions for Fossil Abacus: Does it need to be charged regularly? And is it not water-resistant at all? I figured those would be the biggest compromises, just above the aesthetic "issue"
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 8:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-01-08 2:03 AM

BTW, questions for Fossil Abacus: Does it need to be charged regularly? And is it not water-resistant at all? I figured those would be the biggest compromises, just above the aesthetic "issue"

well ive read their forums and faqs before i decided i don't need it.
it isn't water resistant, and it has to be charged everyday if you use it regularly for some time.

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-07 8:33 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 8:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, the manual says about four days with average PDA use of 30 minutes per day. I've had the watch for 24 hours and that looks about right - I did a lot of tinkering with it yesterday and have had it in watch mode since, and the battery icon still shows nearly full. Remember, this is a Palm we're talking about; just an occasional look at the PIM is all you usually need, and you can charge it overnight every few days. But, no surprise, it is definitely far from waterproof. Since I like the water, I'll still be wearing my Timex Ironman a lot of the time.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 15