x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Why do people try to install Linux on a HP/C?

1 2 3
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 7:33 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! Don't say things unless you know them as fact.

The system fits into ram. It completely fits into ram. The kernel is only a couple of mb uncompressed, and the rest of the system taking up memory is programs started from the startup scripts. All this can be edited. But the point is, my average system is at 9mb from boot, and that is already running the email manager and others.

Swapping is absolutely not needed whatsoever! Why swap when the system fits into ram? Sure, you can, but there is no reason to do so.

Wallythacker, Linux has modern web browsers. The only reason why we do not have a modern web browser on CE is because no one will port it. Essentially, once Linux is running, it is just a matter of getting the web browser to work. It gets complicated here, but its the core we want, the web browser itself is the bloat that makes it harder to run. I am not sure if gecko is what we want, but it should be small enough. When I finally get X working, after other things are working, I will test netscape and such.

There are programs that sync with outlook on Linux. You could even sync a palm with a 720 running Linux. (hah) The thing is, I don't want to look them up, let alone seeing if they run.

Please, let me learn how to code first. This distro thing is really taking up some time, and I don't have the proper equipment currently (cross-compiler and microdrive). Until then, I really can't help everyone much.

Give it time.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 8:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you just want a decent browser, flash cenet on the SL4
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 9:19 AM
#
H/PC Elder

wallythacker - 2006-01-01 4:53 AM

Bump for Outlook compatible syncing package for a linux powered hpc. Surely something exists as don't Zaurii have Linux unstalled? And some sort of sync progrim for desktop PIM?

I'm a little itchy to try linux on my SL4 as the screenshots look promising. Aslo, the Linux browsers seem decent enough to carry me long into the future. Perhaps I can convince the Pocketfms crew to port to Linux for my flight requirements.

Strange as it may seem, the idea of browsing using a tablet is more useful when browsing pages like a few years ago, where its only click+click+click.

Today, browsing the web typically involves also posting to great forums like HPCFactor.com forum! (Time to chalk up browny points for 2006! ), replying to emails, posting blogs etc etc. All these requires keyboard input and frankly the onscreen keyboard or calligrapher is interesting but no ideal.

I had a SL4 for awhile and tried browsing the web with it. While it was sheer joy to read through articles etc, just typing in the url for a site not in the favorites was a pain. I gave up posting to forums altogether after a few attempts.

Maybe its just me, but others may offer their opinion.

Oh, and on linux running on SL4, I have not checked on the OpenSIMpad status or OPIE on SL4 for awhile. Bear in mind that flashing to use OPIE natively can be tricky, but not impossible. Tomraider is another user who uses OPIE etc ...

Peaceful New Year!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 9:52 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hmm, lots to ponder for me. I bought the SL4 as a display nav tool more than an interactive device, but the big bright screen begs to be used for browsing.

I don't want to spring for cenet 4.2 without seriously fiddling with cenet 4.1 and Linux of some form. I figure to try cenet 4.1 first and once I have more data on Linux (sync programs and so on) I'll give it a shot.

If ppc type input really bothers me (I suspect it will in time) I'll try a wireless IR keyboard. There must be one compatible with the SL4.

My laundry list keeps growing.....groan
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 11:15 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2006-01-02 3:19 PM

Strange as it may seem, the idea of browsing using a tablet is more useful when browsing pages like a few years ago, where its only click+click+click.

Today, browsing the web typically involves also posting to great forums like HPCFactor.com forum! (Time to chalk up browny points for 2006! ), replying to emails, posting blogs etc etc. All these requires keyboard input and frankly the onscreen keyboard or calligrapher is interesting but no ideal.

I had a SL4 for awhile and tried browsing the web with it. While it was sheer joy to read through articles etc, just typing in the url for a site not in the favorites was a pain. I gave up posting to forums altogether after a few attempts.

Maybe its just me, but others may offer their opinion.

don't worry, i completely absolutely etc agree
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 11:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-01-02 3:52 PM

If ppc type input really bothers me (I suspect it will in time) I'll try a wireless IR keyboard. There must be one compatible with the SL4.

My laundry list keeps growing.....groan

oh you would put up with an external keyboard, and IR at that. you weren't serious were you?

list... what happened to the UX50 on your wishlist?! if you just wanted to keep it short i suggest deleting the TX and putting the UX50 back
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 12:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hmmm, good point, especially after the WM5 flash based discussion. I'll keep the Sig III as a low priority wish until the business of conversion is complete.

The UX50, from what I read, is a nightmare to tweak. Too many compatibility problems. It looked appealing, but looks aren't the end all.

How bad could an IR keyboard be? I had a foldiing Targus at one point for my 565 and it was as good as any board I've used. It was the four folder model and I liked it. I don't know where it went.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 4:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

whati s a good point, i got lost here

ux50: sorry to hear that

IR keyboard: any external keyboard is bad to me bluetooth could be the most tolerable...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 5:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

wallythacker - 2006-01-02 10:41 AM

Hmmm, good point, especially after the WM5 flash based discussion.

Where was this?
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2006-01-05 1:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hmmm, good point, especially after the WM5 flash based discussion. I'll keep the Sig III as a low priority wish until the business of conversion is complete.

Yes, where's has this been discussed?
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-01-05 2:56 PM
#
First of all, it is not (at all) necessarily faster. Sure, configure it right, and it will blaze. But unlike CE, which uses little over 2mb of ram with a gui, Linux starts out just under 10 on a good configuration. Now, if I made my distribution like Jlimes, it might be well under that. But in my mind, it ruins the point. The reason for going to Linux is to gain features and useability, not to cripple it. (No offense)

The kernel im using (dev) is stupidly fast. The kernel when uncompressed is only about 1-2MB, depending on which modules you selected.

Secondly, Jlime does not have instant on. It is simply turning off the screen, and lowering the processor frequency. It is equivalent to a normal laptop suspend, and we all know that those are pointless. Battery life is limited to maybe a couple of days, but really about one. Full suspend would allow the handheld to be on suspend for weeks, and with a quick recovery. Instant on.

Again, the development kernel does. The release doesnt yet. The development one as i understand it slows the processor right down, and switchs off just about everything else. I was able to keep JLime in suspend for 2 days, and still switch it on afterwards. It should be able to do longer periods of time, but i needed to use my HPC

Also, how is konqueror browsing? What is the speed, and what about loading large sites? Perhaps that would be a better idea to port than that crazy minimo thing.

Konqueror browses very well. It takes about 5 seconds for the program to start up, then after that its just like using a desktop pc. Forums are a doddle and so on. The microsoft site, image-heavy, loads in about 5 seconds (ADSL).

For me JLime made my HPC actually useful. I have a speedy GUI (it is faster than CE, believe me on this), web-browser, a GOOD FREE text editor, email client, PCMCIA support for all my cards and so on.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-05 11:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

tenjeangosi - 2006-01-02 5:30 PM

Hmmm, good point, especially after the WM5 flash based discussion.

Where was this?

AFAIR, in a thread on storage, discussing the pros and cons of flash versus microdrive. I'm too beat to find it. Since flash has x write cycles eventually all wm5 units (and newer palms) will become bricks, soon after warranty expiration I'll bet.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 9:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

If Jlime did have some sort of instant on support in the development version, I would have much less to worry about, and the 720 kernel would have it as well.

I'll check into it, but do not believe you currently.

-Great info on konqueror, I am glad that it is fast. I don't see much harm in porting it.

--Could you try running abiword for me? It is a rather large gtk+ application, and if it runs somewhat on a 680, much of my worries for the 720 will be gone.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 9:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

what's happening here...somebody clean up this mess please!!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 7:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Chazco?
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10