x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720 wifi options

1 2
MoMagnum Page Icon Posted 2006-01-08 8:38 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Just wanted to update for everybody that I have found a new card, and state the features of it. Here are the answers to my earlier questions-
1)PCMCIA
2)None so far
3)No internal antennas, the ability to plug in external hi gain antennas, HUGE transmit power
4)Yes
5)Yes
6)Yes
7)Yes

I am very happy with this card so far. It work with the reference drivers available on this site (Version 1.07.24- November 2, 2001 for my Jornada 720)

The downsides- Pricey. You can get this from http://www.rokland.com and of course ebay. You also have to buy external antenna(s) because it doesn't have any, which also means that it only sticks out of the Jornada ~1/2" (12.7mm) It also has a 200MW transmit, and I have yet to find out what it actually draws for power, but I am going to assume that it is going to suck the battery like a hoover, which is fine for me, I just rebuilt the battery with 2200mah cells, and am usually near a charger.

I am enclosing 2 pics, one is a screenshot of the wireless config utility, with the Jornada across the house from the router. This shows the amazing signal this little card gets. The second picture is my 720 with the wireless card and one antenna (which is all I have been using)

Moe

(wireless copy.jpg)

(PICT0012.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wireless copy.jpg (47KB - 13 downloads)
Attachments PICT0012.jpg (94KB - 13 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-08 9:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Personally I go for an ORiNOCO card.
Cheap (free in my case)
Always works (until my PC Card slot appears to be dead...no cards work at all )
Works with Ministumbler (for sure)
The WaveLAN Silvers can be firmware modded to WaveLAN Gold cards
Has an external jack for other antennas.

It's a very common card and is supported under most OSs (linux and windows, what else?) and I'm pretty sure will be supported if JLime (linux) ever gets going on the 720.

And (in my experience at least) it doesn't appear to draw a lot of power.

Edited by CE Geek 2006-01-08 9:54 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-08 1:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think I might look into an Orninoco card, following bobbarker's advice
bobbarker - 2005-12-24 1:35 PM

until my PC Card slot appears to be dead...no cards work at all

Well, at least you have your CF slot still...
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 5:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I thought I'd take a moment to defend the Cisco 350 series. I have the Aironet 352 version and have been pleased. I haven't tested the battery draw on it, but here is my thinking: I'm not going to sit in Panera/Starbucks/etc. for hours surfing the internet, anyway; if I do, why not just plug in? Once I get my wireless router functional at home, I'd like to surf on the couch rather than the office chair, but again, I could just plug in. In fact, I can't think of a situation in which I'd be needing that much battery for my WLAN card and wouldn't be near an AC outlet. I'd love to hear from those of you who can and do operate this way. It might give me ideas for more uses of my J720. One downside to the Cisco is that it sticks out of the PCMCIA by about an inch. For me, this isn't a problem. I have resurrected my old leather dayrunner to carry the HPC. I pop out the card, stick it in a pocket and it's transportable. When I want more portability I need big pants pockets or coat pockets. When I'm wearing such a garment, what's another inch? :+) Oh, and finally, it was less than $20 on ebay, if I recall correctly.

I'd love to hear your ideas on more uses!

Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 5:59 PM
#
H/PC Elder

edit: Since discovering Prism cards I'm hooked on them, tho the antenna on Moes card is pretty cool.

As to using my rigs without a source of AC:

Well, for me, I like sitting in my back yard, without an extension cord, on nice days.

I also like the flexibility to take any of my hpcs (those with decent battery packs) on a warwalk during a nice day.

I'll also mention I live near a summer haven with a nice beach and lots of dum dums in the expensive condos fronting the beach have open APs. I also live a short drive from the world's largest freshwater beach (again, many open APs nearby) which is SRO on a nice day.

There's browsing, and then there's *browsing*

Edited by wallythacker 2006-01-10 6:08 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 9:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

KBoyKool - 2006-01-10 11:35 PM

here is my thinking: I'm not going to sit in Panera/Starbucks/etc. for hours surfing the internet, anyway; if I do, why not just plug in?
In fact, I can't think of a situation in which I'd be needing that much battery for my WLAN card and wouldn't be near an AC outlet. I'd love to hear from those of you who can and do operate this way.

well if i want to surf at a hotspot i can't just plug the hpc in an outlet. it is usually simply not possible at such places or would be too uncomfortable to do so.

or if i use wlan in bed, i cant either, because then i would have to turn off the light and i don't want to fumble for the keyboard in the dark (there's only one outlet nearby and no space)

also if i used wlan for a while then i might want to do something else on the hpc. what to do then if battery power is too low by that time. i don't always leave the house with a fully charged battery. that would be too difficult to always ensure

last but not least, i want to protect the battery. soemtimes they get warm when plugged in for too long. and that does no good to their life / capacity.

all in all... the most important is the freedom that my hpc's can give. i'm free from AC, can go anywhere, don't have to worry or even think about available AC power even when in the middle of a blackout.
sadly it is possible really only with my J72x's. my other hpc's don't come even close to J72x battery life (or J6xx as well!)
i know someone got 5 batteries for a MP900, but thats again not so comfortable. with two 2400 mAh batteries the J728 is unbeatable.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 3:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Can't argue with that.

wallythacker - 2006-01-10 2:59 PM

I'll also mention I live near a summer haven with a nice beach and lots of dum dums in the expensive condos fronting the beach have open APs. I also live a short drive from the world's largest freshwater beach (again, many open APs nearby) which is SRO on a nice day.

There's browsing, and then there's *browsing*

Man, that's the life. Geez, why haven't I taken my Jornada to Venice Beach yet?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 8:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, the bugs in your ear now! A hpc with a good battery and wifi, a warm sunny day at the beach, it doesn't get toooo much better for a gizmohead.
 Top of the page
Chriz-B
Chriz-B Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 7:04 AM
#
I have a Cisco Aironet 350, you need to update the firmware but when you have done this it's a perfect card!
It can run ~4-5 hours with the card in it, that's enough for me.
When I'm at home I use my docking cradle with AC power.
PocketWinc works also with this card (when you have updated the firmware) Pocketwarrior also works.
Before this card I had a Netgear MA401, but that worked not so well and also have not much options.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 16