x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Toshiba PCMCIA Hard drive

1 2
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 1:12 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Will this hard drive work in a HPC?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=MK5002MPL-BC-N&cm_ven=Pricewatch.com&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_ite=total

I think it would be faster than a microdrive but would also probably consume more electricity.

T
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 1:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

First, you should ask them if it is 32 bit cardbus or 16 bit PCMCIA..
Second, what version of CE do yuo wish to use it on? If it is CE 2.11 or up, no need to worry about 1 GB or larger cards...
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 1:36 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Oooops! The first time I check the compatibility page it didn't fully load, so I didn't see that it was already listed. Are there advantages to using this as opposed to using CF memory devices? I ask this because I just got a NEC 880 and I need to find memory for it. I was planning on using CF memory, so that I could share with my other HPC devices, and put the "toys" i.e. modems, wifi in the PCMCIA. Are there any outstanding features of this drive that would warrant a change in my thoughts?

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 2:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well like you, I believe that the CF slot on my 360LX be used for CF memory cards only and PCMCIA be used for goodies and add-ons..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 8:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2005-12-29 8:53 AM

Well like you, I believe that the CF slot on my 360LX be used for CF memory cards only and PCMCIA be used for goodies and add-ons..

hmm many hpc's can use the CF slot for I/O stuff too, just like pcmcia...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 3:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex, I know that...
I am just saying I use the CF slot for memory and the PCMCIA slot for goodies...
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-31 1:02 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Does anyone have one of these pcmcia hard drives? I am curious about the performance, compared to a microdrive.

Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-31 2:54 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I can offer md performance perspectives. My CF 2.2gb magistor md is no faster than a CF card in my 6651. The md though is very fast in the usb housing attached to my desktop.
 Top of the page
Spymaster Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 2:38 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I have a 2Gb and a 5Gb as well as a 1GB IBM microdrive. All work well on my Jornada 720 and I am not aware of any significant performance differences at the user interface. I suspect the 1Gb drive may be less demanding on the battery though.

I use a 1GB compact flash in the CF slot for storage. These are now available in an 8Gb but rather extortionate in price. Given time I am sure the price will drop as the technology ages.

Hope this is of help.

Craig
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 5:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, pengyou is talking about a full external HDD that connects via PCMCIA. I really gotta wonder, though, if any H/PC can supply enough power to it, even if the H/PC is connected to external power.
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 5:22 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yes--I have had one of these for about 6 months. It works in my all of my devices including a MP780, MP 789, a MP 900 and a Sharp Telios (intermec 6651).

The only issue I have is I use PCMCIA wireless--so I have to switch between the two. Othere than that, I love it.

GE
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 8:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-01-01 11:01 PM

No, pengyou is talking about a full external HDD that connects via PCMCIA. I really gotta wonder, though, if any H/PC can supply enough power to it, even if the H/PC is connected to external power.

of course... don't confuse hpc's for a psion netbook (not pro) / S7, please
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 9:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

This is confusing. Are we talking about the self-contained pcmcia hdds or the (IIRC) IBM hdd that was tethered to a pcmcia card? Nowadays I can't see myself buying the IBM style tethered hdd, but if you have one and it works why not use it?

Don't the new Ipods (60gb) use 1.8" hdds? In theory we should start seeing 60gb pcmcia hdds appearing. (IIRC you can buy a 20gb pcmcia form factor?) On reflection, are they pcmcia or 32 bit pccard?

Regarding flash, don't you feel they have solved the write cycle issue, or at least greatly extended it? Imagine the furor in a couple of years when all the new flash based ppcs suddenly crap out?

I'm sure they have spare sectors but eventually they'll be used up and someone will own a shiny brick. OTOH , the Casio Be300 is flash based and seems to be standing up fairly well, other than instances where a poor program corrupts the flash.

I'm on the fence for now. I've just had a pair of 256mb CF cards go south, sort of. They are erratic and can't be trusted. Then again, I don't know how much pounding my 2.2gb CF MDs can take. They seem really fragile when out of the machine.

Oh well, one day in the near future we'll have affordable 4+ gb flash storage. I for one will appreciate my hpcs far more when I can carry all my personal files with me on one medium rather than scattering them across my jukebox and assorted flash cards.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 10:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-01-02 3:51 AM
Regarding flash, don't you feel they have solved the write cycle issue, or at least greatly extended it? Imagine the furor in a couple of years when all the new flash based ppcs suddenly crap out?

I'm sure they have spare sectors but eventually they'll be used up and someone will own a shiny brick. OTOH , the Casio Be300 is flash based and seems to be standing up fairly well, other than instances where a poor program corrupts the flash.

no. the be300 isnt that good regarding this. many be300's died because of this, until someone found a method to repair most of the issues. of course if you get the message about the um... i forgot, but it tells you to send the be300 in for repair to a casio service center because the flash no longer has any space (those spare sectors you see)...

so i'm worried about the WM5 ppc's, of course there are a few tricks to help with that but.... a friend of mine flashed an axim x50v to WM5 and it died within a week... flash rom corruption, and he couldn't reflash it because the damn x50's don't have the capability to initiate flashing from an SD card (older axims had this). of course there's almost always another chance to do it via usb but that's very hard to do in such cases so the valid warranty was really handy
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 11:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I stand corrected about the BEE. The flash issue (real/imagined) is the reason I didn't buy one.

I really wonder how many flash ppcs will be alive in 5 years? Especially the ones in the hands of the constant tweakers/heavy users.

I'm perfectly happy backing up and keeping my hpcs properly charged. Heck, it takes, what, <1 minute to restore our units after a hard reset? That's a small price to pay for a depleted battery.

Long live RAM!, lol
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 12