x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 5:06 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

For sale is my recently purchased Branium WiBook. I purchased this unit to explore the CE .NET 4.2 to determine whether a Netbook Pro would fit my needs from a software perspective. Unit is in good condition and comes with new battery and a power adapter from DELL to which the appropriate connector has been attached. I am asking for $90+15 S&H in the US. I may be willing to ship oversees, but the shipping costs would likely be much higher. Please contact me at dmarsh@speakeasy.org if you are interested.

Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 12:55 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Just to help I've included offical specs for the WiBOOK with this post

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WiBOOK Specifications.doc (54KB - 69 downloads)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 3:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

not sure if i already told you but as i got both wibooks (for a friend too), i'm no longer interested in this one, sorry! but good luck with the sale!!
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-01-03 12:47 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

No problem, Cmonex. I know you were in a hurry to buy, but I really wanted to spend some quality time with CE .NET 4.2 to get to know it and figure out what applications would/would not run with hacking. I bought the Wibook because it is very similar to the Netbook Pro in a lot of ways. I really like the software environment and I am definintely going to buy a Netbook Pro if ever I can find one at a decent price.

I was hoping a disabled friend of mine who has poor motor control due to CP could use the Branium Wibook. The handle and rugged nature of the WiBook makes it a pretty good fit for him, but he had trouble with the built in pointing devices (the touchpad doesn't have buttons and he has trouble double tapping and the touchscreen requires him to coordinate too many muscle groups simultaneously to both reach the touchscreen and drag his finger at the same time). He has this oversized joystick "mouse" thing that he uses with his desktop at home. It has buttons that allow him to adjust the sensitivity of the cursor on the fly, so he can use it to make small mouse movements. He actually just completed a class in web animation and he made some pretty cool, high resolution graphics, which blew my mind given his lack of fine motor skills. Unfortunately, he couldn't use it with the WiBook, as he can't plug it into the USB ports on his own. Very frustrating...

I think the WiBook would make a great "kid's computer" or a development platform. The motherboard is one of the common ones that are used for prototyping a lot of Win CE embedded devices and it has easily accessible diagnostic connectors (JTAG, for instance). This thing is just begging to be hacked!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-03 1:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh, sorry to hear your friend can't use it especially that such a thing is the only obstacle... how frustrating.

hmm the netbook pro, that should be compatible with a little more apps as it has a version of htmlview by default (wibook doesn't). except if it (the exact same version..) can be acquired for other ce.net devices.
another issue, i don't know if the NB pro has SIP (software input panel support), if it doesn't that will make a few things harder. (the wibook has it.)

usually none of these are really problems... (the SIP problem can be fixed easily for example - we just worked out a new solution to this) all in all you shouldn't worry, and i'm sure you experienced that many ppc programs work better etc etc

ok back to topic, good luck with selling and then getting a NB Pro
 Top of the page
rajtakhar
rajtakhar Page Icon Posted 2006-01-04 3:09 PM
#
i'd be interested in wibook
how much do you want
can you send some pictures to
sukhrajtakhar@hotmail.com
and let me know uk postage costs
 Top of the page
rajtakhar