x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

When to quit tweaking?

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 1:34 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I read somewhere that people and life are pretty photo-realistic so I've vowed to reduce my digital time this year for more analog (real people) time.

Honestly, tweaking can be a never ending process. There's always something to try or a new program emerges. Owning multiple platforms compounds the problem. I've managed to self-counsel myself away from tweaking my desktop machine only to replace that behaivour with hpc tweaking.

I'll proclaim I'm done tweaking my 6651s to my state of perfection, but my signature indicates I have a long road to travel.

So, how do you measure when you're done installing and configuring a device?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 7:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The trouble is that if you cease tweaking in the digital realm, you will find yourself with all this unused energy, and that may be transposed onto the analogue world... and you'll start tweaking others and may be yourself.

... Self help books are a spiral into disaster.

I would say you are only done when you are content that it does what you want it too
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 8:21 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Chris, that's the answer I needed to hear. I'm done when I'm satisfied it does what I need it to do.
Not what it can do, not what I may want it to do, but when it does what I need I can call it a day.

Mind you, I'll still budget a little time for casual experiments and tweaking. I don't want to get too rusty and forget all I've learned from here
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 8:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The day we cease experimentation is the day we roll over and in a near catatonic state become a member of the unwashed, ingnorant masses

The H/PC State support euthanasia under such circumstances. Unlike the PPC State, we don't have the resources to care for such people
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 9:03 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

wallythacker - 2006-01-02 12:34 AM

When it gives me the finger....

That's right, when your device gives you the finger you know you have tweaked enough!

Tweaking - in my opinion at least - is a never ending process. Yes you do get to a point where you "like" how the device is running but there is always, without fail, something you wish worked better. So you stop for a while then it starts nagging you and you start tweaking again.

To boldly proclaim "no more tweaking" is, erm, bold?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 9:08 AM
#
H/PC Elder

You are done, when your heart is content with itself. External stuffs can never satisfy the heart. (or mind for that matter ... )
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 9:09 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Darn you Clinton, do you realize you've just undone 30 minutes of intensive internet therapy?

All my hopes of leading a normal life are shot. Roll out the trolley, strap me in, play me a nice outdoorsy video while you inject the lethal dose of anathaesia
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 9:18 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

wallythacker - 2006-01-02 8:09 AM

All my hopes of leading a normal life are shot.

Normal? You are a Handheld PC owner! We all have this strange, sick disease that forces us to be non-compliant and demand screens larger than the palm of our hand!

Normal is relative - just ask someone who is insane....

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 9:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

clintonf3 - 2006-01-02 2:18 PM

Well hello there, I heard my name
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 10:24 AM
#
H/PC Elder

clintonf3 - 2006-01-02 9:18 AM

Normal? You are a Handheld PC owner! We all have this strange, sick disease that forces us to be non-compliant and demand screens larger than the palm of our hand!

Touche. The first day I had internet access I was at it for about 24 hours straight.

The day I got my J565 i was at it for about the same duration.

Same deal with my first 6651. I see a pattern here..... and it's not normal Good, I feel relieved

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 11:30 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-01-02 7:34 AM

I read somewhere that people and life are pretty photo-realistic so I've vowed to reduce my digital time this year for more analog (real people) time.

Honestly, tweaking can be a never ending process. There's always something to try or a new program emerges. Owning multiple platforms compounds the problem. I've managed to self-counsel myself away from tweaking my desktop machine only to replace that behaivour with hpc tweaking.

I'll proclaim I'm done tweaking my 6651s to my state of perfection, but my signature indicates I have a long road to travel.

when i saw the thread title i was sure it was you who started it. (you always create threads on interesting topics! )

now to tell a secret to you all... i don't really tweak my main hpc's. they were more or less set up a long time ago, and if something isn't perfect that can wait until i go and try to solve it later.
the other hpc's, well, they're for experimenting yeah but don't think i'm doing that all day. only if there's a certain problem (mine or someone else's).. then i start tweaking / hacking for a while (until it gets solved or i get bored)

so i don't think i'd ever finish this even though my main hpc's are OK (as i said, more or less, but usually no problem with them at all). but still i don't spend my life on it and never did, so i don1t see it as a problem.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 11:34 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-01-02 4:24 PM

Touche. The first day I had internet access I was at it for about 24 hours straight.

The day I got my J565 i was at it for about the same duration.

when i got internet access i wasn't online for 24 hours only b/c it wasn't my PC.

my first J720... i didnt sleep that night and the next one... (with the psions it was different. somehow the hpc had a greater effect on me?! or they just need more tweaking to get them right...)

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-02 11:37 AM
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 11:59 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

wallythacker - 2006-01-02 6:34 AM

When you find a girlfriend/boyfriend (depends on your gender) to play with!
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2006-01-02 1:41 PM

The day we cease experimentation is the day we roll over and in a near catatonic state become a member of the unwashed, ingnorant masses

And simutaneiously say "WE ARE THE BORG....."
(sorry about my comments, I seem to be in a happy mood! Oh, college tomorrow! )
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-02 12:10 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Monica, you're getting to know me so well.....

A little bit of eclectic is good for the bi-polar in us all. (no offense to those who really suffer it)

Well, hpcs aren't the only things I've been known to be a tad compulsive about. When I was a healthy lad it was pretty common for me to snowmobile for 18-20 hours at a stretch. Gotta make tracks while there's snow.

When I first learned to fly I slept in the cockpit once, (lol, on the ground). Years back I did a 48 hour sailing stint on Lake Superior riding out a very nasty storm. I thought I bought the farm that weekend.

So, there's a method to my hpc madness. If I own two of a type my total tweaking time is spread over both units. I think I'd go bonkers if all my hpcs were unique and I wanted to have them all optimized to my liking.

All these things make life interesting, if not conventional.

So how much are we willing to pay for a group purchase of psychoanalysis?

Edited by wallythacker 2006-01-02 12:15 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9