x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

13 miners trapped

1 2
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 11:41 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

stftclmshell - 2006-01-09 10:03 PM

Like many other locals, I hardly ever think about the old feud. Those folks made the Italian vendetta look like a playground squabble. The troubles lasted from the Civil War till the coal labor troubles, nearly 65 years. Even though the killings were over the coarse of a few years the fights etc. lasted a long time.

Most of the landmarks around Matewan were destroyed by the 1977 flood. I actually lived on one of Sid's brother's old farm from '76 to '79.

The big draw to the area now is the Hatfield/ McCoy off road trail system. They now have several hundred miles of trails open to the public, in Logan and Mingo counties. More trails are scheduled to open on the Ky. side of the river soon. We have tourists coming from all over the U.S. and Canada to ride the mountain trails.

Last year I worked with a true relative of the Hatfield’s in Texas. Yes, the feud is a huge part of American History, and I look to the positive. More people will do research into the Hatfield and McCoy issue. I first learned about the feud from the Song by Willie Nelson & Waylon Jennings’ #1 hit, "Luckenbach Texas" http://www.pedernalesrivervalley.com/luckebachtexas.htm
Here is a link to the lyrics.
http://www.countrygoldusa.com/luckenbach.asp
Very good song….
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 11:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

stftclmshell - 2006-01-09 10:03 PM

Like many other locals, I hardly ever think about the old feud. Those folks made the Italian vendetta look like a playground squabble. The troubles lasted from the Civil War till the coal labor troubles, nearly 65 years. Even though the killings were over the coarse of a few years the fights etc. lasted a long time.

Most of the landmarks around Matewan were destroyed by the 1977 flood. I actually lived on one of Sid's brother's old farm from '76 to '79.

The big draw to the area now is the Hatfield/ McCoy off road trail system. They now have several hundred miles of trails open to the public, in Logan and Mingo counties. More trails are scheduled to open on the Ky. side of the river soon. We have tourists coming from all over the U.S. and Canada to ride the mountain trails.

Last year I worked with a true relative of the Hatfield’s in Texas. Yes, the feud is a huge part of American History, and I look to the positive. More people will do research into the Hatfield and McCoy issue. I first learned about the feud from the Song by Willie Nelson & Waylon Jennings’ #1 hit, "Luckenbach Texas" http://www.pedernalesrivervalley.com/luckebachtexas.htm
Here is a link to the lyrics.
http://www.countrygoldusa.com/luckenbach.asp
Very good song….
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 7:33 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

stftclmshell - 2006-01-07 9:14 PM

I have black lung and physical problems that will pro'lly see me to the grave.

I am very sorry to hear that. When I read 10 years, I was hoping that I wouldn't see that line.

wallythacker

The youth of today don't have the slighest idea of working hardship. If they all had to spend a summer in low coal I'm sure they'd have a much better attitude towards life. That, and ask a kid where electricity comes from and the answer is "the plug on the wall." If they only thought it through.

Don't start categorizing now.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-01-13 7:34 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 1:24 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Program , I agree with you. I've met many hardworking clearminded and dedicated youth. It doesn't matter the path they've chosen they work hard at it. IMO, anyone young here is bright and thinks and expresses themselves well.
But, I met more ignorant lazy young dolts in my years of post-secondary education than I cared to. Schocked actually at the number who cared nothing about their education but they attended every keg party they could find.

Not much different demographics from an adult world I suppose but the lazy self-centred adults were likely the same basic people throughtout school.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 1:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Program , I agree with you. I've met many hardworking clearminded and dedicated youth. It doesn't matter the path they've chosen they work hard at it. IMO, anyone young here is bright and thinks and expresses themselves well.
But, I met more ignorant lazy young dolts in my years of post-secondary education than I cared to. Schocked actually at the number who cared nothing about their education but they attended every keg party they could find.

Not much different demographics from an adult world I suppose but the lazy self-centred adults were likely the same basic people throughtout school.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 1:38 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 2:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Only trouble is that working hard tends to turn young people old before they know it. I can speak from experience.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 11