x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NetBsd for MP780

mhelm23 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-03 9:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm having a noob problem. I am a Dos-WindowsXX user trying to move on.

I have a MP780 with a 5GB PCMCIA hard drive. I have downloaded all the files as per the Netbsd website for the hpcmips 2.1 kernel. Everything starts up fine. I run the hpcboot and it starts the install. I have set a 1GB partition aside and made it the Netbsd partition.

Now, I get into trouble when it asks for the location of the distribution files. I'm pretty sure I mounted the 4GB dos partition; but I don't know how to tell Netbsd where the files are. It's asking for the directory of the files, and I have been trying for two days to figure out the right combination. I'm also not quite sure the disk labels are set right, and I don't understand what the Netbsd site said on this.

I'm pretty sure if I can direct it to the right path, I'll be on my way. Can someone please try to help me figure out what I'm doing right/wrong? I'll answer whatever questions you may have as best I can.

Thanks...
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 11:09 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

I had the same problem trying to install netbsd using 2 CF, and never managed to mount the DOS partition, always a disklabel problem.

My way forward was to use ftp and went like a charm!!

If you can have a LAN this will be the answer.

Snappy! has some experience on that.

oski
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 9:07 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

If you can mount the dos partition, try going into a free terminal and using ls and pwd commands to find your way there. Some installers allow this.

Disklabeling? Check it on a system running netbsd, this should not be a problem.
 Top of the page
mhelm23 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 11:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I can't use my LAN card. The hard drive I'm using takes up the only available PCMCIA slot. I have no serial cable, and the installer doesn't support IR transfers. So, until I manage to find my next job and can afford to buy a big enough CF card to use, thus enabling me to use my networking, I'm stuck trying to figure out the mounting/labeling issue.

Anyhow, I appreciate the help. I will continue to watch here for any pointers.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 6:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

get a cf lan card mine cost 10$

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-11 6:22 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 7:19 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

If you want to stick with your pcmcia hard disk, I would go with what cmonex said. Otherwise, I would go for a microdrive instead of a compactflash, just to reduce r/w paranoia (even though I still have not had a single error... )

The cf slot can be modified to fit a microdrive, but what about modifying it to fit an ethernet card, with just the port sticking out? Or wifi?

Hmm...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10