x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows XP Tablet + Windows Mobile 2005!?

1 2
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-08 12:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2006-01-07 10:15 PM

btw a hpc could never run palmsize pc apps until dummy dlls came along. palmsize pc's already used aygshell...

I thought it was possible [with CE 2.11 anyway]?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-08 1:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Sort of. If the app has its own interface that is Palm-size PC size (such as Peter Balogh's apps), it will work on both platforms without any tweaking.

tenjeangosi - 2006-01-07 8:12 PM

thcrw739 - 2006-01-07 9:01 PM

Why do you need both in one mobile device is what i cant understand...?

Well, Windows XP for PC tasks and WM5 for PDA tasks
EDIT: Hey it just hit me... 3 USB ports and Windows XP... The smallest PC to connect to an H/PC [which is bigger] or Palm or PPC... Now that is syncing on the go

We're looking at the first mobile device that synchronizes with itself.

Seriously, though, takwu makes some excellent points. It seems to defeat the purpose of CE (in any form, whether original interface or Windows Mobile one) to operate it on a device that has to accommodate the shortcomings of desktop Windows (power consumption, hardware getting hot, etc).
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-08 8:37 PM
#
H/PC Elder

abyssknight - 2006-01-07 9:02 PM

It's at CES, thus it is most likely real.
. . .
The price point has to be do-able, OQO's are going for about 2 grand why can't this go for $1500?

CES doesn't prevent companies from going out of business... But like I said before, benefit of the doubt

OQO already uses the cheapest mobile hardware that can run XP, including a cheapo Transmeta CPU (1.0GHz) that's not even made anymore; whereas the DualCor will need to use a substitute (1.5GHz according to their website, a VIA chip according to CNet) that is likely more costly than a discontinued chip, and on top of that the extra stuff to run CE with. I wouldn't count on an Intel XScale. Perhaps a Texas Instrument or Motorola ARM chip would have made more sense. But again according to their website, it's 400MHz, according to CNet it's XScale, so I seriously dun-no.

OQO doesn't seem to be jacking the price either, unlike Sony. How can DualCor undercut OQO's pricing by 25% while offering nothing less, and a whole lot more?

BTW your original link to dlmag.com mentioned an interview with DualCor CEO that would have much more information, to be posted yesterday (the 7th). But so far, nope.

Here's CNet's story tho:
http://www.cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6412631.html?tag=all

Edited by takwu 2006-01-08 8:57 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8