x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

mobilepro 880 audio

rod
rod Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 1:31 AM
#
I'm considering a NEC mobilepro 780 or 880 and am wondering what the sound quality is like through headphones? My understanding is that these HPCs have a mono output jack that requires specialized headphones. Can an adapter be employed to enable use of standard headphones, and if so, is the sound quality OK?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 1:44 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm also interested in the audio properties. I figured out I need an adapter, but i din't know I'd have mono. A tad disappointing.Well, the 6651 & 720 are great for audio, as is my E200 so i've enough alternatives. I'l soon have a jukebox that will never play music again, just be an external hdd.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 5:15 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

rod - 2006-01-07 6:31 AM

I'm considering a NEC mobilepro 780 or 880 and am wondering what the sound quality is like through headphones? My understanding is that these HPCs have a mono output jack that requires specialized headphones. Can an adapter be employed to enable use of standard headphones, and if so, is the sound quality OK?

Hello Rod

I use a MP780, mainly for typing, but I do use it for audio too. I also have a 720 and an iPAQ 3870. The audio quaility is absolutely brilliant on the 780, but there are a few problems:
A) no music player as standard
B) Bass and treble adjustments are impossible
C) 2.5mm headphones are needed.

for C), I recommend this thread:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1354&start=1
and this page
http://hpcnec.com/7x0phonejack.htm

Once you get going, to quote Rich Hawley, "Monoaural sound though both earpieces... not true stereo, but very fine hi-fi.", in other words, its mono sound, but very high quality sound.
(Note, don't try the 680/690, they don't have headphone jacks.)
If I had a wiring schematic, I would try to replace the jack with a standard 3.5mm jack. After all, it is only a surface mount jack!

(BTW, the images have gone missing, don't know why! )
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 12