x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WIFI worked - then it stopped... help!

1 2
Sch01ar
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 8:38 AM
#
In the position of needing help again...
Got WIFI working via my Cisco 340, on both my Jornada 720 and Samsung Izzi Pro. Reflashed card, and downloaded currrent drivers for both HPC2000 and 2.11. Worked in web cafes all across the Midlands - Wonderful!
Now I got broadband WIFI in at home, with a BT 1250 modem router; they both work FINE & DANDY around the house, but I cannot use them at all outside - even at places where I previously surfed A OK.
Plesae - what am I doing wrong?
 Top of the page
MoMagnum Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 10:51 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Are you using encryption on your home network? It sounds like it is trying to connect using a wifi encryption key that is not actually required. Where you using it in ad hoc before? Probably just one of the settings somewhere is set wrong.

Moe
 Top of the page
Sch01ar
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 11:41 AM
#
That could be it - the Cisco 340 doesn't support WEP, so I turned it of on the home network (I know - that's bad - especially with half of this board cruising around in cars looking for open networks. I'll turn it on when I get a 350 card, next on the list...)
What should I try next, do you think ?
[My HPC settings seem to be... SSID (blank) Client Name (Blank) Infrastructure mode "yes", Power Save Mode "CAM", WEP "disabled" Authentication Type "open", LEAP, Mixed Mode and World mode all "disabled" data rates auto, transmit power 30mw.]
These settings just kind of set themselves - WIFI and networking in general are my weakest hpc skills, but I know the Cisco card quite well now, having struggled to get it working
 Top of the page
MoMagnum Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 12:46 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I have to admit that I don't know too much about networking myself. I bet that when wallythacker or cmonex read this thread, you will get help. It seems that wifi on these things is the biggest challenge we all take part in. My 680's were so easy, it was like they were almost plug an play, but my 720 has given me nightmares for 2-3 months now, LOL. My new card (Saneo) seems to have solved all of the problems I have had so far though, but it was pricey. Good luck to you, I am not much help but I figured that after I suggest those couple of things, you would be like-"Oh yeah I forgot about that!!" That is how I am all the time Scatterbrained LOL

Moe
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 2:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

MoMagnum - 2006-01-07 6:46 PM

My new card (Saneo) seems to have solved all of the problems I have had so far though, but it was pricey. Good luck to you, I am not much help but I figured that after I suggest those couple of things, you would be like-"Oh yeah I forgot about that!!" That is how I am all the time Scatterbrained LOL

is that saneo = senao? thats what i have, and it was easy to setup, i never understood the wifi setup problems i read here earlier.
but, later i encountered the same problem as the thread starter.

a reghack solved it (i edited the IP address etc manually in the registry), then next time only a driver reinstall helped. try that route. hpc2000 (or just j72x?) are prone to such problems. (never such problems with ce.net so far)
 Top of the page
MoMagnum Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 3:20 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

cmonex - 2006-01-07 2:27 PM

MoMagnum - 2006-01-07 6:46 PM

My new card (Saneo) seems to have solved all of the problems I have had so far though, but it was pricey. Good luck to you, I am not much help but I figured that after I suggest those couple of things, you would be like-"Oh yeah I forgot about that!!" That is how I am all the time Scatterbrained LOL

is that saneo = senao?

Yeah whatever I don't know the card doesn't actually have a name on it other than "Industrial Wireless" and "Simple Mobility" It's awesome though, shows 100% signal all the way on the other side of the house though a bunch of walls and closed doors. Also has a 200MW transmit, so there goes my battery. Oh well Has no internal antenna so it doesn't stick out too far either.

Moe
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

MoMagnum - 2006-01-07 9:20 PM

Yeah whatever I don't know the card doesn't actually have a name on it other than "Industrial Wireless" and "Simple Mobility" It's awesome though, shows 100% signal all the way on the other side of the house though a bunch of walls and closed doors. Also has a 200MW transmit, so there goes my battery. Oh well Has no internal antenna so it doesn't stick out too far either.

Moe

lol i have a CF wifi branded senao, but looks like i'll be getting the same pcmcia card as yours (part of a deal, not like i need another wlan card!). will be senao as well it doesn't have the internal antenna either, but i was told it won't be a problem. now you reassured me
 Top of the page
scholar
scholar Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 4:17 PM
#
Oh no! I had built my hopes around you, CMONEX !! Wot's this reg edit I have to do then? (trepidation)
 Top of the page
MoMagnum Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 6:00 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I found out that my router only has like 67MW out! My card puts out 200MW. Hmm, Something backwards there I think

Moe
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-07 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sorry that i can't be of more help to you..

look around in the registry here:
HKLM/Comm/your wlan driver/Parms/tcpip (if it has such a thing, mine does)

or search for "dhcp" for example and you'll find the places where the settings are.

this may not solve the problem at all, if it doesn't.. driver reinstall then (and maybe it is easier than this )
 Top of the page
rod
rod Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 6:34 PM
#
I just got a roamabout wireless card for my mobilepro 790. The installation program (mp790.cab) said that it was incompatible with this computer, but I went ahead and installed it anyway. It seemed to go fine, green bars appeared; but Internet Explorer says it cannot connect to server. Do I need to configure the mobilepro's netowkr settings differently (I tried setting it up with IP address being obtained via dhcp, and also be specifying IP address, but neither worked).
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 12:15 AM
#
Rod,

Make sure that your IE is not looking for a proxy server to get online. Its in

View --> Internet Options --> Connections --> Untick Proxy Server

Top of the page
rod
rod Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 12:28 PM
#
Thanks, Alfabob. The proxy server box was unticked, must be something else...
 Top of the page
rod Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 10:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've been trying to get another wireless card to work with the MP790, having had no success fiddling with the Roamabout card. I managed to find and install the Hawking driver for a Hawking CF100W card, which the former owner claims worked fine with this MP790. The config utility seems to work fine, showing good signal strength. I don't get any green bars or anything on the screen, though. And when I try to get on the internet with Internet Explorer, I always get an error message: "a connection with the server cannot be established", same as with the Roamabout card.

I tried clicking and unclicking "proxy server" and setting SSID to the wireless server in my house that my laptop connects to, to no avail. I also tried ministumbler, which detects wi-fi spots just fine, but I can't figure out how to get the MP790 to connect to either secure sites (to which I have the WEB key) or to unsecured sites.

Any advice? Thanks!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 10:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

what does vxutil say about the IP address?

also are you using mac address filtering in the router? i tend to forget about mine when i get a new wlan card to test (or anything)
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 13