x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WIFI worked - then it stopped... help!

1 2
rod Page Icon Posted 2006-01-29 10:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi - sorry, I'm not sure what vxutil is? Under network configuration - WLAN card driver - properties, I have checked "find IP address via DHCP". I've also tried setting the IP address to the address obtained by pinging my laptop computer (ipconfig), but that doesn't seem to work either. Also tried assigning the IP my network gave to my laptop (which can connect). Is there some other utility I should be checking?

Not sure what "mac address filtering" means. I don't see anything in how the router is set up that looks like its filtering addresses. I'm using a 2wire router. I followed the directions provided to connect a CE computer to this network (specified the router's name, chose infrastructure, enabled WEP, put in key) but to no avail. Still getting the same error message from Internet Explorer ("can't connect to server"
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-30 6:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oops, you gave the same IP address to the thing as the laptop's? that won't work i can assure you... except if the laptop is shut down, but that's still problematic if it got it via dhcp.

google for vxutil download, and get & install it. it will tell you what your current IP address is, and if you're using DHCP that's helpful, also you can try pinging with it.

so, try dhcp and try vxutil. if it says 169.254,.... as the IP, reinsert the card, if that doesn't help after several attempts you'll definitely need a static IP but the right one!
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 12:13 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Wireless has got to be the biggest PIA, that exists in mobile computing. I have shut down all my wireless and gone back to LAN cables all over the house. Too much time wasted fighting DHCP issues.

Yesterday I finally gave up and did a hard reset on my 720. I tried to get on the network for 2 hours, no changes to either 720 or router, after the reset it took about 5 clicks to get on the router.

My point, is "sometimes ya' just gotta' pull the ejector lever, and reinstall.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 12:53 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I found ORINOCO gold card to work best with J720 with little/no problems.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 7:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK update

found the solution to this problem, wifi suddenly stopping working.

btw i noticed it happens only (but fortunately only sometimes) when i get to use another network different from the home one. then either the new network won't work or it will work but then when i get home it won't any more

anyway after this problem arises, i'm unable to connect even to my home network.

a long time ago i just edited the IP DNS etc in the registry, but i realized it's just a temporary and very flimsy fix, so uninstalled the driver AND deleted ALL entries from the registry that had something to do with the driver. (HKLM/drivers/pcmcia ... also HKLM/comm ...!!)
then SOFT reset & driver reinstall.

everything worked then! woo hoo hehehe
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 12