x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

"Geek" Desk

1 2 3 4 5
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-16 1:17 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Nice desk... I took out my old desktop computer off of my desk a few weeks ago... My USB Wifi adapter does not even work with it ...

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-01-16 1:20 PM
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-01-16 4:51 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2006-01-16 12:28 AM

Compaq Aero 1550 Pocket PC (which I can only use on AC power right now while I wait for a couple of batteries I bought on eBay for it)

1550 was my first PPC....

I just bought one for $35 on Usedhandhelds.com - thought I'd relive the "good ole days"
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-16 9:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Aw, man, I paid $75 for mine, and they didn't tell me the battery would be dead. (Actually, I got it to work on the battery for a while yesterday, but not for long. After charging for several hours and with a solid charging lite indicating a full charge, after disconnecting from AC power it dropped from 100% to 30% in about a minute, at least according to the screen scale in Settings.) I do like its slim design - kinda like my Palm m500 - and I hope that the monochrome screen, in addition to being easier to read outdoors, will keep a new battery alive for several hours. Also, it gave me an excuse to try the Linksys WCF12 WiFi card, since the 1550's CF slot is Type I only. (Card's on its way as well.)

The desktop PC gets less and less use. I only use my notebook computer for synching, but I still use the desktop for online browsing sometimes (like right now) - and of course it's the LAN server for my home network. (BTW, for anyone who wonders, yes, that is my campaign sign on the wall. )

Edited by CE Geek 2006-01-16 9:24 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-17 11:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This thread should be renamed 'CE "Geek" Desk' really shouldn't it
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-17 5:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh how I agree.

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-01-17 5:56 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-18 2:46 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm blushing.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-18 2:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

CE Geek - 2006-01-16 6:16 PM
. . . Also, it gave me an excuse to try the Linksys WCF12 WiFi card, since the 1550's CF slot is Type I only. (Card's on its way as well.)

Wow that sounds cool. What can you do with WiFi tho, I mean for a monochrome CE3 on a 70Mhz MIPS...

When I first got WiFi (also the WCF12) on my E-125 (16-bit color, PPC2000, 150Mhz MIPS) I was so excited. Pages took a while to load, but at least it worked. I could Google! lol. Then I grew real tired of all the scrolling and gave up web browsing on a 240x320 screen. The WiFi card was shelved until I got my j728
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-18 2:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-01-18 8:09 PM

Then I grew real tired of all the scrolling and gave up web browsing on a 240x320 screen. The WiFi card was shelved until I got my j728

oh, exactly.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-01-18 6:37 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2006-01-16 6:28 AM

From left to right: Clio 1050c; Compaq Aero 1550 Pocket PC (which I can only use on AC power right now while I wait for a couple of batteries I bought on eBay for it); the trusty Jornada 680e (whose batteries seem to last forever); MobilePro 790 (the workhorse of the bunch); and MP800

Looking at the screens, the MP and Clio look mahosive (Thanks Tanya for the quote), in reality, hows the screensize in terms of typing and surfing and how is the typing and mouse input?
It has reignited my interest in a Sub-notebook computer (plus the MP has a USB port, extra handy for my USB sticks! )
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-19 3:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm pretty happy with the screen size of both the Clio and the MP800 for viewing Web pages. (And, of course, the MP800 has an advantage cuz it's SVGA.) But I still prefer the MP790 for Web browsing because of the better browser. (WorldTalk is not bad in H/PC Pro, but the visual quality of pages in IE 4 is as good as on my desktop and notebook computers.) I haven't tried a mouse driver yet on the MP800, though; guess I'm not tired of using the stylus yet. I really like the MP800 for working on multipage documents; the omission of some formatting is not really a problem since I'm just interested in typing and editing text. (Cell separations and the like are still there when I return my USB drives to a desktop computer.) But I'm still perfectly happy with my Jornada for typing letters; I even typed a resume and cover letter on it for my City Council when I was interviewed for a vacant seat last year.

Re: Web browsing on the Aero 1550
Yeah, I know it's not gonna be the best. Just another toy to play with. (I haven't browsed the Web on my Axim for months; anyway, maybe the Linksys card will work better on my H/PCs than my Belkin F5D-6060 does.)

Edited by CE Geek 2006-01-19 4:06 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-19 9:08 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, web browsing on my iPAQ really is hard... I like a 640x240 screen better.. Of course, a MobilePro 1000 would help (if they existed)...
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-01-19 10:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

tenjeangosi - 2006-01-19 2:08 PM

Yes, web browsing on my iPAQ really is hard... I like a 640x240 screen better.. Of course, a MobilePro 1000 would help (if they existed)...

I much prefer the HVGA screen than a QVGA screen, particulary when using www.livedepartureboards.co.uk , my favorite site Especially useful to see "where the (beep) is my (beep)ing train?" (Quoting the spoof song!)

C:Anime, my father now has a job near you on an indefient contract and the salary? Don't go there.
He got made redundant from Acoustiguide Ltd and leaves in Feb, now he has another job already, being an electronics engineer.....!
He is now commissioning signalling for London Transport/London Underground Limited. I wonder if I'll get a track walk with him too?

Oh and there is talk of about 3 laptops joining us! 2 ferraris (if Tanya hasn't changed her mind) and a laptop from LUL. I think there is going to be a lot of jellosusy now, we already have 5 laptops!
And, I think I'll put in a WTB thread.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-19 11:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wessex_nut - 2006-01-19 3:56 PM

C:Anime, my father now has a job near you on an indefient contract and the salary? Don't go there.
As much as I do have a friendly opinion of it, my name isn't C:Anime

If you're ever in the area, let me know, and you can show me your train designs on your laptop over a beer.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-19 4:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Wessex_nut - 2006-01-19 8:56 AM

I much prefer the HVGA screen than a QVGA screen, particulary when using www.livedepartureboards.co.uk , my favorite site Especially useful to see "where the (beep) is my (beep)ing train?" (Quoting the spoof song!)

Well, on my iPAQ, the VGA mode does help a bit.. Of course, I hate not being able to have more than one window in PIE...
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-01-19 6:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2006-01-19 4:06 PM
If you're ever in the area, let me know, and you can show me your train designs on your laptop over a beer.

Still working in Watford?
I must remember that, although, we must have a "Put your ugly mugsgood looking shots in here" thread, I can gather I am going to get the usual "Hey, its a carrot top!".
Anyway, my father starts on the 6th Feb, we are hoping. Tanya already wants a laptop and I plan to pay him for a laptop too, if I don't get a MP880+upgrade first!

Oh, if I do go near your area, I must remember to bring all the little darlings and their cords, one has some chipped paint, I must try enamel paint on it.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.316 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11